A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy:A happy belated birthday to muse!

I'm celebrating with chocolate. At just past 10 am. Don't judge. It is vital to life today.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy:A happy belated birthday to muse!

I'm celebrating with chocolate. At just past 10 am. Don't judge. It is vital to life today.

I'm not judging, I'm just hoping you're gonna share.:D

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, good. Because Vitamin Ch is being consumed lately in a significant daily dosage.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So here's a question: I just learned that chocolate beer was an Actual Thing.

Worth it? Or will I be deeply disappointed (and possibly grossed out)?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Do you like beer generally?

More specifically, do you like dark beer (as in, as dark as Guinness)?

Do you like your chocolate on the super-dark bitter side?

If yes to all three, you might enjoy some chocolate beers. If no to any of them, I'd give it a miss. Most chocolate beer is referring to the kinds of malt used, which are roasted until very dark and produce similar flavours to extremely high cocoa chocolate. Some brewers throw actual cocoa nibs in at this stage, which again will add that super-dark chocolate flavour in there, but will massively increase the bitterness. So if bitter ain't your bag, I wouldn't go there.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

If yes to all three, you might enjoy some chocolate beers. If no to any of them, I'd give it a miss. Most chocolate beer is referring to the kinds of malt used, which are roasted until very dark and produce similar flavours to extremely high cocoa chocolate. Some brewers throw actual cocoa nibs in at this stage, which again will add that super-dark chocolate flavour in there, but will massively increase the bitterness. So if bitter ain't your bag, I wouldn't go there.

It's been a while since I had a stout. They tend to be a little rich for me - it's hard to get through a whole one (and given what an absurd lightweight I am, that's not so bad). But I've enjoyed the flavor of them.

And although I love sweet chocolate, I've also had unsweetened hot chocolate and loved it. Hm. I wonder if I can buy a single bottle somewhere, just to see?

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Think I'll give it a miss. Yuck!

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
There is a porter call Sweet Baby Jesus! ( seriously) its a chocolate peanut butter porter- I love it!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Mmm, porters up the sweetness a bit - think brioche-sweetness, that yeasty kind of flavour.

liz - you should be able to buy single bottles at a bottle shop or similar craft beer stockist. Get a couple of different ones - all in the name of science, obviously...

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How could anyone actually want to dilute chocolate with beer?

Eat it neat, I say. :D

Oh, good. Because Vitamin Ch is being consumed lately in a significant daily dosage.

Vitamin Ch is not accumulated. Regular replenishment is essential. :D

My downfall can be neatly summed up in four words:

Chocolate marshmallow Easter eggs.

easter%20eggs_zpszdrlvii8.jpg

These ^ are the best! 48 of them to a box.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
How could anyone actually want to dilute chocolate with beer?

Eat it neat, I say. :D

Vitamin Ch is not accumulated. Regular replenishment is essential. :D

My downfall can be neatly summed up in four words:

Chocolate marshmallow Easter eggs.

easter%20eggs_zpszdrlvii8.jpg

These ^ are the best! 48 of them to a box.

Okay- I will confess something that will have you all think I am alien- But i do not like chocolate. I like it in the beer just fine, but chocolate bars, chocolate cake, candy, syrup- nope nope and just nope. I mean I will eat it and not puke or anything :) but if given the choice I avoid it- to rich, cloying and just blech.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll eat all the chocolate meant for you, shea. You can have all the beer meant for me. (I did have a beer in Brussels and Munich. It was okay, but it was not port.)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Science

Okay, don't yell at me, but I bought my beer at the supermarket. There was only one choice for chocolate beer: Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.

...Yeah, this is acceptable.

It's a nicely-flavored beer with a soupçon of odd (but not unpleasant) flavor at the back that I suspect is the cocoa powder.

It smells like college. :D

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um... I don't know. But I'll shovel your driveway for a box of marshmallow Easter eggs. :D

Ooooh, I'll join you Gail, they sound yummy.:drool

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Ugh - I have weeks and weeks to catch up on. My youngest daughter, a/k/a Bionic Baby, had to have surgery mid-February. Not totally out-of-the-blue, but not really expected, either. Spent a lot of time at Hershey Medical Center for pre-op, actual-op, and post-op stuff. Saw a lot of kids with no hair and IV poles, which is just all kinds of wrong. Thought a lot about French and Blake. My daughter did great, although she's looking at another surgery sooner rather than later. Which stinks, but I still count my blessings.

Work has been buckets of crazy, too. So not much time for writerly stuff (except boring things, like reading the draft Orphans Court rules - all 250 pages of them).

Happiest of birthdays to everyone I missed. Bionic Baby turned three on March 2nd (Dr. Suess's birthday). March is a good month.

Gail - I found the dead body stickies! Amazon sells just about everything, I think. I've had two co-workers ask where I got them. I use them for calls that annoy me.

Is anyone making a pie for Pi Day? I have one chilling in the fridge. It's a custard/meringue hybrid with rum and shaved chocolate.

JWNelson

JWNelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jwnelson.net
Good thoughts your way. ...kids with no hair and IV poles, which is just all kinds of wrong really said it all for me. Thumbs up ++ for that observation. Hope Hershey is treating you right; sister-in-law nurse worked there for years.
Ugh - I have weeks and weeks to catch up on. My youngest daughter, a/k/a Bionic Baby, had to have surgery mid-February. Not totally out-of-the-blue, but not really expected, either. Spent a lot of time at Hershey Medical Center for pre-op, actual-op, and post-op stuff. Saw a lot of kids with no hair and IV poles, which is just all kinds of wrong. Thought a lot about French and Blake. My daughter did great, although she's looking at another surgery sooner rather than later. Which stinks, but I still count my blessings.

Work has been buckets of crazy, too. So not much time for writerly stuff (except boring things, like reading the draft Orphans Court rules - all 250 pages of them).

Happiest of birthdays to everyone I missed. Bionic Baby turned three on March 2nd (Dr. Suess's birthday). March is a good month.

Gail - I found the dead body stickies! Amazon sells just about everything, I think. I've had two co-workers ask where I got them. I use them for calls that annoy me.

Is anyone making a pie for Pi Day? I have one chilling in the fridge. It's a custard/meringue hybrid with rum and shaved chocolate.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Okay, don't yell at me, but I bought my beer at the supermarket. There was only one choice for chocolate beer: Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.

...Yeah, this is acceptable.

It's a nicely-flavored beer with a soupçon of odd (but not unpleasant) flavor at the back that I suspect is the cocoa powder.

It smells like college. :D

As long as it doesn't smell like the hallway of my dorm on a Sunday morning. That was a long, long time ago and I can still remember how bad it was. Sort of like Bourbon Street on a Sunday morning before things have been hosed down.

Who do I have to bribe or sacrifice to make the snow stop?

I'm cautiously optimistic spring is around the corner for us. The other night, it was about 50 degrees and my oldest daughter was riding her bike in shorts and a tee shirt.

Good thoughts your way. ...kids with no hair and IV poles, which is just all kinds of wrong really said it all for me. Thumbs up ++ for that observation. Hope Hershey is treating you right; sister-in-law nurse worked there for years.

We love Hershey. My daughter's cardiologist looks like Gru from Despicable Me. Thus far, I've managed to avoid saying it when we see him. My luck will run out one day.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So glad your daughter got through her op okay, tarak. It's so hard watching them when they're ill. :Hug2:

Any idea when the next op will be?