The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Argh. The Pitch Madness twitter draft was supposed to start at 3 EST, but no picks have come through yet. I think a number of writers are going to spontaneously combust.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Damn, I'm so glad to not be in on Pitch Madness! I don't miss that chunk of stress at all. :)

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone who has entered Pitch Madness!!

It's just occurred to me that I have a handful of queries still out. As in the UK you send a partial anyway, should I email these agents and withdraw these queries?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone who has entered Pitch Madness!!

It's just occurred to me that I have a handful of queries still out. As in the UK you send a partial anyway, should I email these agents and withdraw these queries?

Welp, my perfect record of futility remains intact for contests with pitches rather than queries. Onward to regular, old querying.

LGG, I think the etiquette is to withdraw queries if you've accepted representation. At least, that's what I've read.

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Pitchmadness was fun just to see and participate in the energy Hathor described and make querying a bit more interesting. That said, I didn't get in either, but had no expectations to, though they did select a few Adult.

next literary excitement of the day is to check the new querytracker.

enjoyed some real good books this weekend. Happy week, all!

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Antonin. Interesting reads, both of them.

Yeah, I read the article that my link was in response to as well. While there were some things I agreed with, there was always some caveat to my agreement. Often it was just "you have a bit of a point... but man are you a douchebag about it."

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Monday, everyone.

confetti-1.gif
confetti-1.gif
confetti-1.gif

Anyone make it into PitchMadness? I didn't see any titles I recognized.

Tulips - Yeah, I'd wait for more feedback; those are both things that are more personal taste

Nora - Have fun in Guatemala!

Antonin - I read that post this weekend. The [original MFA] guy seems to miss the mark on every single one of his points.

Short story news this week -- THE TIME IT HAPPENED anthology has one of my stories in it and my bedbug story goes up on AcidicFiction sometime today.

Annnd now I need to go write more stuff ;)

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
So many pitch contests! I feel like my story is super pitchable but it's not readyyyy. :(

I know they'll always be around but still. At the very least all Of my betas have made me excited to work on it again... And I don't think I was ever this excited when I was writing it the first time. Lol

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Gods help me, I thought up four new Twitter pitches this morning, so I'm tempted by next week's PitMad. Will I never learn? *shakes head*

I'm not as bummed as I might have been by Pitch Madness. The odds were even lower than Pitch Wars (if you include the alternates). The choices were made with a view to what the specific agents were looking for (and my best match in that list already has my partial). And everyone involved said they had favorites that weren't picked. At least my prep work yielded me a better 35-word pitch. Or I think it's better, anyway.

I want to start querying in earnest, but I also want to wait for the feedback I've been promised by an agent who's had my partial and synopsis for three weeks. Talk about an approach/avoidance dilemma.

I could to start revising WIP in response to beta comments, but I have some readers who've yet to get back to me. (No one here :D)

Sure hope that MFA guy is wrong about having to be serious about writing as a teenager. Yeesh, I missed that by decades.

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Talked to my agent's assistant today. One house has had my mss. for 8 1/2 months! She said they have other submissions with that house and they're taking forever with them as well. After all this time and the other R's, a rejection from them would really sting.

Also, there is one other house looking at it. It's a good thing that during this process we're supposed to keep writing. By the time anybody might make a possible offer, I'll have two more 80k books finished and ready to go. Maybe they'll have more luck.

So, there's that.

Good luck to Hathor and everybody in PitMad!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
By the time anybody might make a possible offer, I'll have two more 80k books finished and ready to go.

Whoa, CCC, that's inspirational output! (assuming you don't mean it's going to take another year for an answer, which it better not). I gotta get on my own WIPs. :)

And so sorry about your long, agonizing wait. :Hug2: Sounds like that house is backed up. I hope you get good news very soon.

Wishing the best to DJ, too. Don't count out the small/mid-sized houses...

And good luck to everyone this week!

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Congrats on the story sale, Wendy!

Gah, for me everything sucks and I'm exhausted.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly a month after getting that 11:30pm e-mail, I'm happy to announce that I'm now rep'd by K@te Testerm@n of KT Liter@ry!!

Thank you guys and gals, once again, for all the support and well wishes, and I hope for the same for everyone!

Last edited:

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
An uplifting post about writing in response to some exMFA guy who says a lot of mean thigs about writers.

Thought you all might enjoy it.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/201...to-that-ex-mfa-creative-writing-teacher-dude/

Great reads, thank you for sharing! "Because lots and lots and lots and lots of writers ... did not start getting serious about writing until their 20s, 30s, 40s, and even beyond that" - true. I know a few authors who started writing in their mid-20s and their works are becoming better and better over years. I think it's all about your intention, not age.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yay, Krash!!!!

:TheWave::PartySmil:TheWave:

So nice to see other folks are getting good news!

Did anyone make it into Pitch Madness? I scanned the selections and didn't see anything familiar... But, man, those odds? Worse than for queries!

As for me, started the week with one R on query only (no sample pages) from like 3 months ago. I had already discounted it as a no-response-means-go-away, so it didn't really sting. Not much, anyway. :eek:

Oh, and another R just came in... but it's a duplicate from one I had already received about a month ago... So, basically... :Wha: Weird. I guess he really, really didn't want it and wanted to make extra sure there was no question in my mind about that! :ROFL:

Love the new QT, btw. :e2cheer: Took me a couple of minutes to suss it out, but after that, it was pretty intuitive.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Congratulations, krash!!

I'm very tired and sick right now . . . my brother's wedding was this weekend, which was tiring in itself, but I also picked up a flu bug. Ick.

I've been plugging along on my newest WIP. I'm at about 35k words and have a decent idea of where the 1915 storyline is going. I know where the 2015 storyline will end, but need to figure out some interesting plot points along the way. I'm enjoying the writing, though, and even the research.

Status
Not open for further replies.