Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
YEAH? Cold and dark? You should live on Long Island right now.

...I'm too depressed and knowing that people are still suffering and w/out electricity is heartbreaking to me. ...Not fun. Sorry to be a debbie downer. Best if I stay away til things normalize.

Totally understandable. Wishing you electricity and warmer weather

over here it's 90 degrees, so not really Fall at all.

But my birthday is in a week, so I'm kinda giddy. Sorry :/

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs to Mel!

Netz, that's pretty cool that you fixed the laptop yourself

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Netz, I am inspired to take apart my laptop that tends to overheat. Inspired! Could it be NaNo procrastination?

Parump, my birthday lasts an entire month. Celebrate!

Mel, you have reason to be crabby. I have never been without electricity for more than a couple of hours. I cannot imagine 10 days and more. It is impossible to imagine. Does your friend have a generator?

Stay safe in the new storm coming your way.

I am lacking on words for NaNo tonight. Had to take a break and write a book review. I hope, someday, Kirkus moves me out of the indie division, because I feel like I am dashing the hopes of indie authors with my lukewarm reviews. I wish I could give these folks my review BEFORE they publish.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Want to hear about a spooky coincidence? I bought a limited edition signed copy of BF's Silence last year from my local Waterstones (don't look at me like that, Parametric :tongue). I rifled through the copies on the shelf until I found a numbered edition I liked (I chose 2629. There were 6000 of these limited editions issued). This year, Waterstones were again doing a limited edition (only 4000 of these though) for Finale (which I found out when I went to their online store). By the time I decided I'd buy it there, they just had the ordinary version available, so I went to the local store instead and found they still had some limited editions available. I didn't like the first numbered edition I picked up, but the second one had 29 as the last two numbers so I chose that. It wasn't until I got home and compared the two that I found they were both 2629! Spooky!

I'm judging you silently. :tongue

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Netz, that's pretty cool that you fixed the laptop yourself

Netz, I am inspired to take apart my laptop that tends to overheat. Inspired! Could it be NaNo procrastination?

At first I thought I might've had a virus cos my laptop kept switching off randomly after I'd been using it for a while (luckily not whilst I was mid-writing though). I Googled the problem and found others had had the same trouble. They'd linked to a possible solution, so I followed the instructions and now my laptop seems to be working just fine. Hoorah! (I was pretty chuffed with myself, lol.)

But ... but ... I had to find out how it ended (I thought the 3rd book was better than the other two, but the last one was a bit meh. They all look pretty on my bookcase though, lol).

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Parump, my birthday lasts an entire month. Celebrate!

I used to have 3 celebrations, one on the day, one that weekend with family, and then I'd get to take a cake to school. Fun stuff and fond memories.

:roll:

~Finished up those edits. Hopefully I did well. ;)

Laura Was Here

let's get married
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauratims.com
Mel: Oh man, I'm sorry. There couldn't have been a worse time for this hurricane - the election, the marathon, Halloween, Thanksgiving, right at the start of a cold snap. It's awful to think about people still without power.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard from some friends back home in Jersey that they FINALLY got power after 10 days without it and just in time for the storm too!!

Um dorky moment: I got a tweet from the agent (who req'd revisions) asking how my book was coming along :D

Stiger, re: revisions, I was also told to take as much time as I needed even up to a year she said. If you feel you're ready now, go ahead and send. But if you think you need more time, take it. Agents have memories of elephants...or say they say--they never forget a project. Good luck!!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
thanks guys for all the support, worry, and kind words. My friend got power back last night before the storm hit. I'm sooooooo happy for her! She had a generator the whole time but still 10 days on a small generator for 8 people is no picnic in the park, ya know? And trying to get gas for it has been insane with our third world gas situation. But alas, I feel relieved for her. My other friend in Jersey lost power last night and has had no power since and had to endure many inches of snow and wind and cold temps with no heat :( My power went out a few times yesterday, but nothing too bad. It's just every time it goes off, there's that fear of how long it will take to come back on and I could not for the LIFE of me get in touch with our elec company. It was "Circuits are busy, please try again later" Gah!!

Anyway, we r good and it looks like the worst of it is behind us for now, though of course there are still many others still suffering deeply and who haven't been able to go home yet. And there's the gas problem. And the FUCKING LOOTERS. Ugh. They should be shot on the spot.

Next week...weather in the 60's! YAHOOOOOOO!

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
So glad y'all have power again!

Stiger, re: revisions, I was also told to take as much time as I needed even up to a year she said. If you feel you're ready now, go ahead and send. But if you think you need more time, take it. Agents have memories of elephants...or say they say--they never forget a project. Good luck!!

The agent only asked for the first 75 pages. I've got some polishing to do, and then I might be ready to submit. I let my CP read as I went and made some changes. Now I'm debating if I want to get a beta for one last review before I submit.

Marykathywendy

The Fairytree root.wordpress.com
Registered
Reaction score
I think fall just arrived in Utah. Wind, cold, and maybe snow on the valley floor by morning. Time to curl up with a good book in front of the fireplace.

Can I just say how much I am enjoying this site? I'm not getting any sleep because I have to keep looking around in here, but I LOVE it.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley, that agent wants you. Get to work on sending something. How awesome!

Good luck, Stiger. Seventy-five pages is a comfy read. I hope he/she loves it.

My agent search is a growing mountain of form rejections. How disappointing. Maybe that MG novel is not so ready to be trotted out for the judges.

I am a day behind in my NaNo goals, which is ok. I am starting to hate NaNo because I realized I need subplots for the other gang members. Normally, I would pause and ponder, but it is NaNo, so I have to keep writing through it.

I need chocolate.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean, Jill. I'm having problems with knowing my NaNo novel is going in the wrong direction and will need a huge overhaul, but I don't want to go back and restart the way I need to because of NaNo.

So much pressure ;)

Ah well. I'll get it done and just do a ton of revising later.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
JK, sorry :(

Mary, welcome! Yes, this place can be a major time suck, but there is sooooo much to learn!

Stiger, you need a reader for the first 75? I can probably swing that next week if you still need a reader! Would love to see the changes you've made!!

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
dive-bombing in here to ask if anyone has any surname ideas they could throw at me. I NEED a surname and I can't come up with a single possibility.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
A surname is a family name - right. Like the last name you inherit.

What exactly does you character do?

If he/she is a farmer then something like Ploughmouth, or Cornsweep could work, for example...

Kind of need a basis here, to run off of.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I laughed too, but shh! Don't tell Parametric.

dive-bombing in here to ask if anyone has any surname ideas they could throw at me. I NEED a surname and I can't come up with a single possibility.

Dunnage, Crawford, Thomas, Wakefield, Willmott, Jacobs, Riches, Alcoran, Brown, Flanagan, Cobbold, McCarthy, Shields, Evans, Callan, Armstrong, Simms, Lin, Monaghan, Curran, Sanzo, Coates, Hooper, Freeman, Chapman, Edwards, Thompson, Jones, Summers. Any good??

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
How goes your weekend?

It's raining here, so nice and cool for once. Been hot until today, but now I think I need the heater on ;) Lol

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The weather has been quite mild here the last few days (had to scrape the ice off the car on Tuesday though).

Looking forward to the weekend - I've nothing arranged so I'm planning to get stuck into the writing. :) How about you?

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
It was 90°F degrees here all last week. Now it's 57 °F -- burrrr. But I am enjoying it :D

Doing some edits, and talking to one of my editors. I used 'and then' too much. Lol.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I don't like the cold weather either! Makes my bones ache! Spent all last weekend raking leaves. The weather gods thought it'd be funny to dump another ton down the next morning. Humph.

Smiley! That's awesome you have an agent lusting after you. I could only hope to be chased after.

Mel! You got that power straightened out finally? Makes me wonder how cavemen read. Really. Hope you and your family are doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.