Your Go To Grammar Reference Book

Cacophony

Hashtag
Registered
Reaction score
My thanks to all of you for your suggestions! A few exceptions aside, you've all been very helpful.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
It's useful to know formal grammar, even the stuff that you consider overly arbitrary and plain wrong. It's valuable to know how to conform to Strunk & White for those occasions when you're writing for people who value that.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? EoS is a style guide and not a grammar. Some of the "rules" in there can't even be phrased in the terms of grammar (e.g. "Make the paragraph the unit of composition" [didn't check if that's verbatim]).

... and what Churchill (may have) thought about avoiding ending sentences with a preposition*.

* "This is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."

A more honest (or more grammatically careful) Churhill(?) might have put this as:

This is the type of arrant pedantry with which I will not put up.

That's because most of the people who actually hold to that particular rule would (probably) have called "up" an adverb. There's a straw man in this example. (I, too, call "up" a preposition, but since I didn't formulate that rule, that's quite irrelevant.)

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
Could you clarify what you mean by this? EoS is a style guide and not a grammar. Some of the "rules" in there can't even be phrased in the terms of grammar (e.g. "Make the paragraph the unit of composition" [didn't check if that's verbatim]).

EoS is indeed a style guide and not a grammar; I was using conformance to it and good grammar in parallel, rather than using one as an expansion or appositive to the other. They were both supporting examples for my broader point, which addressed Cliffhanger's: there are linguistic conventions that we follow not because they are correct in the abstract but because it is useful to us to do so in order to reach a particular audience in a particular way.

A more honest (or more grammatically careful) Churhill(?) might have put this as:

This is the type of arrant pedantry with which I will not put up.

That's because most of the people who actually hold to that particular rule would (probably) have called "up" an adverb. There's a straw man in this example. (I, too, call "up" a preposition, but since I didn't formulate that rule, that's quite irrelevant.)
Indeed, but phrasing it like that would have constituted a failure to make his rhetorical point. Quibbling about the precise role of "up" in this context is no different than quibbling about whether one should end a sentence with a preposition.

His point was that good sense and clear meaning are more important than the pettifogging rules of language. The good sense and clear meaning of his snark caused him to elide a grammatical distinction. Works for me.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
EoS is indeed a style guide and not a grammar; I was using conformance to it and good grammar in parallel, rather than using one as an expansion or appositive to the other. They were both supporting examples for my broader point, which addressed Cliffhanger's: there are linguistic conventions that we follow not because they are correct in the abstract but because it is useful to us to do so in order to reach a particular audience in a particular way.

Thanks for the clarification.

Indeed, but phrasing it like that would have constituted a failure to make his rhetorical point. Quibbling about the precise role of "up" in this context is no different than quibbling about whether one should end a sentence with a preposition.

Interestingly, I thought that both the "rule" and Churhill's comment are on a page:

His point was that good sense and clear meaning are more important than the pettifogging rules of language. The good sense and clear meaning of his snark caused him to elide a grammatical distinction. Works for me.

That was probably his point. And it's a point made against people who think that the "rules of language" as they see it aid clarity. You're not going to convince them that they're wrong by misrepresenting what they say. You might rally others against them, though. I'm not interested in grammar wars. I've seen a discussion about whether "taxi" in "taxi driver" is a noun or an adjective. If they had bothered to communicate that might have been interesting (I like that sort of thing). But the fortification of positions... No, thank you.

An ironic distance to both positions would be ideal for me, but since I'm actually interested in the underlying phenomena... If I have anything to add to the actual topic of this thread it's: no one source is absolute. Read as many as you can. Take nothing too seriously. Don't judge people's cognitive capabilities or moral character on the language they use. Keep an open mind. (I've read mostly academic grammars, so I'm no help with the particulars in here.)