The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent something to Result Jelly a few weeks ago. No word back yet, and I'm not seeing any responses at all being recorded at Duotrope, but on Facebook they said they've been sending out responses.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Ah okay, Alex. I wonder if they really do pay 5 cents/word for 15,000-word stories. That seems rather, uh, spendy. But I dunno, maybe they have something worked out, or deep pockets.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent them something because it's flash and I've got plenty of those. I wouldn't risk a longer story on the market no one has heard of yet, with anonymous editorial staff. At least not until they put out the first issue, to see what their standards and tastes are like.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, that's where I found it as well. But it's on Duotrope already, so we can no longer claim elite, insider knowledge. :)

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Insider knowledge? I can do that...

So far we've received a decent number of horror, SF, fantasy and a smidgen of literary/interstitial. And, alas, I haven't noticed anyone has taken up the call for mystery yet... but then again, the zine has only been open for five days and there could be something waiting for me right now.

I will say that I have been blown away by the quality of submissions already. Many of which coming from this very site. No exaggeration.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Yay for insider info! :D

Alas... I'm not very good at mystery. :( I do have a semi-mystery story about a cross-dressing detective. I could polish that and send it in later on.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Gale: Good luck with this project! All my stories are tied up in submission purgatory right now, but I hope to send something your way soon.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Please do submit, Alex. In fact you might want to drop your AW username in the signature so I can give it the old AW bump.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Gale - I will send something over as soon as an appropriate story frees up. I think I have 16 submissions out at the moment, which is the most I've ever had out at once. All thanks to W1S1.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a reminder that The Pedestal publishes a spec fic issue at the end of the year. Stories up to 2000 words. Reading cycle Oct 28 - Dec 14.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Just a reminder that The Pedestal publishes a spec fic issue at the end of the year. Stories up to 2000 words. Reading cycle Oct 28 - Dec 14.
Do they take multiple submissions? I checked their site, but only found something on simultaneous subs.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@pangalactic: You've got plenty of time, submissions are open for nearly two more months.

@defcon: I vaguely recall them allowing up to 3 stories to be submitted simultaneously in the past, but if they removed this from the guidelines, I would only submit one story.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know whether OSC's Intergalactic Medicine Show accepts simultaneous submissions? I didn't see anything saying they DON'T, but I didn't see anything saying they DO, either. Thanks!

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
@defcon: I vaguely recall them allowing up to 3 stories to be submitted simultaneously in the past, but if they removed this from the guidelines, I would only submit one story.
I only ask since I subbed to their last prompt, but wonder if I'm allowed to sub to the spec fic one, too.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Defcon6000, they'll probably respond to your recent submission way before the deadline of the next one (usual response time= ~30 days) so you'll definitely be able to submit even if they no longer accept multiples! :)

Libbie, I've been wondering the same thing! Duotrope has them marked as "no sim-subs" though :Huh:.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Does anybody know whether OSC's Intergalactic Medicine Show accepts simultaneous submissions? I didn't see anything saying they DON'T, but I didn't see anything saying they DO, either. Thanks!
I'm fairly certain they don't, but you're right, they don't say so outright. Safest just to assume they don't, i reckon.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Defcon6000, they'll probably respond to your recent submission way before the deadline of the next one (usual response time= ~30 days) so you'll definitely be able to submit even if they no longer accept multiples! :)
Hmm, their most recent responses have been 55 days. Maybe those were the folks who subbed early on and they're just now getting to them. So far, I'm 22 days out with them.