How Long Does it Take to Travel 40m on Horseback?

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
Or with a wagon, which I suspect is slower than just a single rider. The terrain is Bandelier National Monument/ Los Alamos to Santa Fe New Mexico. Looking at the season to be early/mid summer. The valleys tend to flood during June-August.

Thank you!

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
If a wagon, figure a team (at least two, and probably four) horses and two days. If the terrain is bad and/or no roads, then maybe three to four. The wagon breaking down will further extend the time.

If the horse and rider are in condition, 40 miles will take between 6 to 12 hours, depending upon terrain and conditioning. Pace will be either a slow lope or a trot, depending upon the horse. A lot of people would do 40 miles in two days if riding.

How much of a rush is your person in?

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
Not much of a rush. I'm familiar with horses just haven't done any riding that takes more than a couple hours and so this was really helpful! Thank you so much.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
If I wasn't in much of a rush, I'd do 25 and then 15 over two days. If you're used to riding, your body won't be too sore. Biggest limitation is the horse's feet. First day I'd do about 4 - 5 hours, getting somewhere between 15 - 18 miles in, then take a long lunch. I wouldn't need the lunch, but the horse will. The grazing time will help get the horse back in the mood. (You try hiking on an empty stomach.)

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I read this as 40 meters, not miles. I started trying to calculate the seconds it takes my games pony compared to the minutes it might take in a walk trot dressage test. Then realized, seeing Jim's answer, that you were talking about miles. Never mind.