Night Vision Goggles, Ultralight questions

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Short question(s):

- Can an ultralight be made reasonably quiet? I.E. are there good mufflers available so you don't sound like you're mowing the entire sky?

- Could you in principle fly an ultralight at night, using night vision goggles (commercially available, not military grade)? I have no experience at all with night vision goggles (although the geek in me really wants some) so I'd like to get an opinion on whether the image is good enough to allow you to take off, fly around, and land out in the country (no city lights) without killing yourself.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
There's four generations (technologies) of NV. The higher you go, the more cost, more lifespan, and greater resolution in the images.

Squids

Battling the Sea
Registered
Reaction score
SOAR does some badass stuff in helos with NVGs all the time.

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
SOAR does some badass stuff in helos with NVGs all the time.

Not all avionics are compatible with night vision goggles, however. They have to be designed to be readable while wearing NVGs.

I don't know if your ultralight would be equipped with much in the way of avionics, but chances are good the pilot would not be able to read any LCD-like display they contained.

Aerial

Squids

Battling the Sea
Registered
Reaction score
Not all avionics are compatible with night vision goggles, however. They have to be designed to be readable while wearing NVGs.

I don't know if your ultralight would be equipped with much in the way of avionics, but chances are good the pilot would not be able to read any LCD-like display they contained.

Aerial

True. Unless it was a kit plane built specifically for something like drug running or whatnot, I doubt it would have those avionics. In principle, you could do it. However, it would be really difficult without being able to use the avionics. NVGs don't really give good depth perception unless they are really advanced (read: really expensive). Even the majority of the NVGs we use have really shitty depth perception and FOVs.