Crust on a dying sun?

Hannibal7

Registered
Reaction score
hi,

Is it plausible that a dying sun's surface has cooled so much that it becomes solid and forms a crust?

I have a scene that involves debris breaking away from a dying sun, this has been questioned by one or two people.

Just wanted confirmation.

Thanks!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I think it's possible under certain circs for a star to eventually stop burning and end up as a 'brown dwarf', which is going to be a bit like Jupiter. I can't imagine you could ever get a 'crust' on a stellar remnant.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Think neutron star and you probably would find a crust. If a star is too small to collapse into a black hole, then it can collapse into being a neutron star made of degenerate matter. I don't know whether anyone has determined whether one would have a crust, but it is plausible.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
There's neutronium, but it's surely not going to have bits breaking off it?
I was only addressing the crust part. A simple Google search for "can a star form an outer crust" gave me a few results on neutron stars. I didn't dig further into the list to see if there was flaking involved.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Short answer, no. A star is mostly hydrogen and helium. Of course there are metals as well, but a very low percentage (compared to a planet, for instance) and if the star "went out" peacefully instead of exploding, the metals would sink to the center. The "Jupiter" analogy is a good one.

As to neutron stars, I'd bet that neutronium acts like a liquid rather than a solid, not having molecular bonds or anything.

If you need stuff coming off a dead star, maybe go with space debris coming in in a hyperbolic orbit. Plausible, and can still sprang the space ship.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No. You need to consult an astronomy book or two to understand how stars of various sizes end their lives. As just one example, a star like the sun will burn out its hydrogen fuel, be forced to start fusing helium, which creates a much hotter temperature, which causes expansion into a phase called "red giants", which will slowly blow the outer layers off into space, engulfing Earth and all the other planets eventually, to form a short-lived "planetary nebula". The dead core will be left behind as a shrunken, very dense white dwarf the size of a small planet, shining on through concentrated residual energy for a long time.

Bigger stars live fast and die young and more spectacularly in supernova explosions. These leave behind ultradense rapidly spinning neutron stars, or even black holes.

Smaller ones, which we now call "red dwarfs", have much much longer lives, and are projected ultimately to cool slowly into "black dwarfs", but the universe hasn't been around long enough for any of these to form.

"Brown dwarfs" essentially are failed stars, bodies not quite big enough to ignite nuclear fusion, but several times larger than the planet Jupiter.

No "crusts".

caw

Last edited:

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
Hydrogen and helium can exist in sold form under extreme conditions though, which could actually be provided by a very old white dwarf or brown dwarf, which would be simultaneously very cold and still many more times more massive than the most massive planets.

So some stars could, eventually, end up with a solid crust of hydrogen. However, for a star to cool to that point, it would take a lot of time; estimations range from several billion times to several quintillion times the current age of the universe.

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
I don't imagine so. Some stars, neutron stars, start out much larger than the Sun, then shrink to a few miles across. I don't know about a crust on them. I don't think brown dwarfs or like that will ever get compact enough to form a crust.

ChaosKirin

Registered
Reaction score
Well, not in the way you describe it, no.

It's theorized (and very likely) that when a star the size of our sun eventually becomes a red giant, it will then compress itself into a white dwarf. White dwarf stars are made of carbon almost entirely, compressed so powerfully that they've become diamond.

Here's the thing, though. The gravitational pull of these white dwarf stars is so powerful that even a grain the size of a piece of gravel would weigh several tons on the surface. This means that no pieces would be flaking off.

Now, even though the answer is "no," there might be several ways to get around that, and still keep the visual in your story. As I mentioned, a white dwarf is EXTREMELY dense, which means it would have a very powerful pull on any planetary debris orbiting it. I say 'debris,' because when your star went red giant before its death, it incinerated all planets near enough to it, expanded its gravitational pull, and possibly changed the orbit of any of its outer planets.

Perhaps, when your star started to die, an earth-like planet, possibly larger, was attracted toward the star and broke up in the process. The star's rotation could cause the material from the destroyed planet to orbit around it.

When debris first starts orbiting, it isn't necessarily in a perfect ring. It's messy. Eventually, the debris will align itself both to the star's orbit and to its highest area of gravitational pull, which would be the widest part of the star. That's why our solar system is aligned the way it is (mostly!) and why the rings of the gas giants orbit how they do.

However! At first, it might look as if the dead planet's debris is actually part of the sun, floating aimlessly around it in large chunks.

A slightly easier (And slightly less believable - in my opinion) way would be to introduce the concept of a technology that could freeze a sun. If I remember right, I think it was Farscape that used the infant concept of flash-freezing the entire star. Insert science here to explain why it might appear, at that point, that pieces of the sun's crust were floating away from it.

The thing to keep in mind through all of this is that a star has an incredibly intense gravitational pull. That's one of the reasons it's a sun, and not a large gas giant. The gravity inside a star is so intense that it begins fusing hydrogen into helium. Even in its death, anything other than light would have a very hard time escaping that pull.

Edited to add: If something caused a planet to explode, the core might possibly be dense enough to burn IF there was enough oxygen in the planet and its escaping atmosphere to cause it to do so. This would burn out pretty quickly - relatively. You could possibly push a century and still hold believability. Your character might mistake this planetary core and the debris surrounding it as a dead sun.

Last edited:

Iforgotthis

Registered
Reaction score
What about a black dwarf? It's not technically a crust, but I think it's the closest you'll get.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What about a black dwarf? It's not technically a crust, but I think it's the closest you'll get.

See my previous post. The universe will have to age a lot longer before any small red dwarf star has had time to cool into a "black dwarf". Stars larger than red dwarfs (e.g., the Sun) finish matters off more quickly, but in a much different fasion.

caw

Hannibal7

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I will re-think the scene and make it plausible.