Indigenous farewell customs in Mexico

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering about general customs or rituals that might surround people who are about to take a journey, or who are leaving home and may not come back. Anything related to a farewell or wishing someone safe travels, a healthy life, or good luck could be useful. What about homecoming rituals?

These could be standard phrases, offerings, whatever comes to mind as characteristic. The setting is a Mexico fairly early after the Spanish conquest, when native practices would have been affected by Spanish influence, but not wiped out. Anything surviving today, from any of the native cultures, could be useful.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
wishing safe travels...

Vaya con Dios. (May God be with you)

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
That particular phrase emphasizes the Spanish influence. I'm looking for something distinctively native.

Also, would farewells likely to be restrained, emotional or physically demonstrative? Elaborate or simple? At all ritualistic?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm no expert. But I do know there was more than one native group in Mexico. Are you talking Aztec or Mayan or none of the above? They wouldn't necessarily have had the same customs.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, indeed, multiple groups. But they did interact and influence each other, and my story has enough flexibility that I can base details on whatever group I can get the most information on. My preference would be for a group of Maya, but Nahuatl speakers would work, too.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
That particular phrase emphasizes the Spanish influence. I'm looking for something distinctively native.

Also, would farewells likely to be restrained, emotional or physically demonstrative? Elaborate or simple? At all ritualistic?

Oops. I thought you wanted something which "would have been affected by Spanish influence."

Like Siri Kirpal suggested - check out the many groups.

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
That's the problem--I'm not finding such information on any of them. Can you recommend any resources? Lots of information online about "big" customs at the level of kings and priests of the Classic Maya and Aztec Empire: blood sacrifices, offerings for rain. Not much about how villagers interacted day-to-day.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

There's Letter to a King by Poma. However, it was written by an Incan, so it might not help you.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Marta -- I don't have any info for you, but I just wanted to say that my daughter is getting a doctorate in indigenous studies and may know someone you can ask -- I'll let you know (she's pretty busy so it may take a few days to hear back from her). But she has said more than once how sad it is that the ways of indigenous peoples have been so effectively and systematically wiped out by the conquerors.

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that true, Karen? Thank you, that would really be appreciated. Glad someone is trying to preserve what history and traditions remain. Kudos to your daughter.

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Okay, she messaged me that there are over 50 different languages/groups in Mexico, so you should probably just pick one and google it -- she said there's a lot of info on the internet -- not to be rude, but rather than refer you to someone, it might be best to dig around a bit more to see what you can find. Sorry we couldn't be of more help, but good luck with your project!

ETA: here's one site, for example: http://www.chapalaguide.com/people.htm

Last edited:

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Karen. I'm aware that there are lots of groups. I've tried searching on the best-known and come up blank when trying to find this information. I can easily find well-known rituals from classic civilizations, and heavily Spanish-influenced greetings from today.

The information I'm looking for is probably on the Internet somewhere, but the search terms I'm using don't bring them up in the first few pages of results. I was happy to see your link, but it's as generic as everything else I've run across.

Thanks everyone, even if this is a dead end. I was hoping someone would know of a resource or two for a group that someone's documented well.

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Here's what I might do -- I'd figure out which region you want your story to be set in. Then find out what indigenous groups are still there and go to their website and get contact info for someone who might be able to refer you to a historian or other person who has info on the surviving cultural stuff. I did this once with a small native nation in the area where I live and got an invitation to meet with one of the elders, who sat with me for an afternoon and told stories and answered a lot of questions that I used in my story eventually.

You could ask in AW chat, too -- there are sometimes chatters from Mexico who might point you to a likely fruitful source.

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
That's a thought, Karen. I guess my first instinct is to look for written sources, so even coming here was a bit out of my comfort zone. But naturally, unless someone had first-hand knowledge, written sources were still what I anticipated learning about.

Since in a fictional work, I can suppose almost any group in the region might live in the Yucatan if events are right, I figured that flexibility could be an advantage. But whatever group I picked, I wanted the culture to be authentic.

I did have a realization after reading your earlier post today that other than locals, scholars might have access to better information. So I hit Google Scholar and found a few more promising sources today. Only problem is I'm not a member of any institution with a subscription, and it's going to be tricky to find out, first if they're going to be useful, and then, how to obtain them. But it's start at least on finding out what I don't know to ask yet. Trying to find information on traditional homecoming rituals, for example, is going to be very frustrating if there simply are *not* any.

Really appreciate your suggestion. This may be a good strategy for another story too!

For what it's worth to anyone else happening by, that resource (Google Scholar) might be a good place for others looking for information that must exist somewhere but it hard to find in the more popular general references.

Last edited:

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I think there are some members here in AW who are scholars and/or work for an institution, too -- so if/when you know where you want to inquire, maybe you could start another thread asking for university employees or something?