Mentioning My Editor in a Query Letter

jamesfinegan

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly what it sounds like. I'm currently polishing my query letter for agents, and wasn't sure on this issue.

Put shortly, I've included the line: 'I have previously hired a free-lance editor, who has contributed to the manuscript in its current form. Naturally, I am more than willing to consider further revisions where deemed necessary.'

Is this a good thing?

I'll never deny my editor's contribution, obviously it would come out later on. I worry that leaving it out of the letter would make me appear dishonest later down the line.

But alternatively, would an agent look favourably on me having hired an editor? Does it make me look dedicated? Or does that sort of thing really not matter to them?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly what it sounds like. I'm currently polishing my query letter for agents, and wasn't sure on this issue.

Put shortly, I've included the line: 'I have previously hired a free-lance editor, who has contributed to the manuscript in its current form. Naturally, I am more than willing to consider further revisions where deemed necessary.'

Is this a good thing?

I'll never deny my editor's contribution, obviously it would come out later on. I worry that leaving it out of the letter would make me appear dishonest later down the line.

But alternatively, would an agent look favourably on me having hired an editor? Does it make me look dedicated? Or does that sort of thing really not matter to them?

Good lord no, I would not include that line, though imo, yes, you should disclose that to any agents that express interest.

No, that's not something that'll be looked on favourably - quite the opposite. It means the agent doesn't know what your writing is like, or your ability to edit your own work. Your work could have been more to the agent's liking than the edited version, or less, but who'd know now?

If the edits suggested by the editor were the opposite of what an agent would suggest, or now the ms. is in a position where it needs more substantial editing before it'd go out on sub, it's all just confused the issue of what your writing is like.

As to the latter sentence, it's as unnecessary as, 'I am seeking representation...'

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I often work ads an editor, not an agent, but I have helped agents with query slush. For me, this would not only be a bad thing, it would probably mean an instant rejection.

I don't need freelance editors who can write, I need writers who can, and rewriting/revising/editing are all part of being a good writer.

No matter how good a good that editor does, there will almost certainly be a ton of work left to do before your novel is publishable. Have you even went back and forth with an editor on what needs done, or even seen a copy-edited manuscript?

How am I supposed to know you can do all the work you'll need to do during this stage when you hired an "editor" to do it before?

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
What they said. In fact, if you asked your editor, he/she, would probably have told you not to mention their name at this point. If it comes up naturally later and your editor has no problem, that's one thing.

At the query stage, they want to know what you are capable of. Mentioning an editor might be a red flag. Let the work stand on its own merits. Not worth the risk.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
another who believes that would flag you as a newbie, and possibly a newbie who cannot write well....

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Always keep your editor under wraps until you need someone to blame.

jamesfinegan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your responses.

Now that you've all mentioned it, it does seem pretty obvious that I shouldn't be mentioning this at the query stage. I'll most definitely be subtracting it from my letter!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I've seen an editor mentioned in a successful query letter was along the lines of "My book was edited by [particular editor who used to be an editor at a big 5 publishing company and who's worked with that particular agent before]. She absolutely loved the book and recommended that I query you once the work is polished." Unless it's something along those lines, I wouldn't mention it.

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
Not only would I not mention the editor in the query, I would not mention it to the agent and editor that buys the manuscript. I would also not mention the editor in your acknowledgements because you would now have a new editor, the one that actually paid you. Take it to your grave, learn from it, and do your own edits in the future.

Last edited: