F&SF's 15-day submissions waiting period: Can anyone clarify?

rosalind

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, folks. My apologies if this isn't the right place for this question -- the truth is that I don't come around here very often these days, and I certainly don't want to step on any forum toes. ;^.^

In any case, here is my question: As I'm sure all you SFF short-fiction writers know, F&SF (aka the venerable _Magazine Of Fantasy And Science Fiction_) has a brand-new editor, C.C. Finlay, and a brand-new policy of accepting submissions online, as well as a brand-new submissions site for this purpose. (To which I say, HALLELUJAH, and IT'S ABOUT TIME.)

My question: On the submissions site, it says: "There is currently a 15-day waiting period between submissions."

Does anyone have a clearer understanding than I do of whether this should be taken to mean "please wait 15 days after _submitting your last story_," or "please wait 15 days after _hearing back about your last story_" ?

That is, for example:
If I submit a story;
and after, let's say, 20 days, I receive a polite rejection;
then,
should I assume that I should wait 15 days before submitting again?
Or, for that particular case, not? Should I feel free to submit again right away?

(I guess that if no one else can parse the matter better than I, I'll just email the inquiries address and ask. I feel... terribly shy _doing_ that, though. Hm.)

Thanks!

(That sub site, for reference: http://submissions.ccfinlay.com/fsf/ )

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
I believe it means 15 days after you receive a rejection.

It clearly states just before this sentence: no multiple submissions. Therefore, if it took 20 days to receive a response, you wouldn't be able to submit again before that anyway.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Ah to be the kind of person who can write and polish short stories so quickly they have to worry about things like this :D I'd probably err on the side of caution and wait 15 days after the rejection.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, they seem to be hitting 15-20 days for a response to submissions, so I guess that means roughly once-a-month submissions. (I'm lucky to write a story a month, so not something I worry about. ;))

ClarkesWorld is incredibly fast on reponses; 1-3 days in my experience.

Whereas Tor is more like 3-4 months.

By those standards, F&SF is still pretty quick!

rosalind

Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Thanks for the responses and thoughts, everyone!

These look like some interestingly contradictory replies. Given that, I think I'll email directly and ask. Thanks again!

rosalind

Registered
Reaction score
OH HEY TURNS OUT THERE'S NO NEED. The page has been updated and clarified!

"Please no simultaneous or multiple submissions. There is currently a 15-day waiting period between submissions. (That means if it takes me 15+ days to reject your story, you can submit again immediately.)"

http://submissions.ccfinlay.com/fsf/

Well, I guess that goes to show it pays to ask. Most of us were assuming it _must_ mean "after rejection." But, in fact, that was not the case.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
OH HEY TURNS OUT THERE'S NO NEED. The page has been updated and clarified!

"Please no simultaneous or multiple submissions. There is currently a 15-day waiting period between submissions. (That means if it takes me 15+ days to reject your story, you can submit again immediately.)"

http://submissions.ccfinlay.com/fsf/

Well, I guess that goes to show it pays to ask. Most of us were assuming it _must_ mean "after rejection." But, in fact, that was not the case.

My understanding was that it was a system-implemented 15 day delay between submissions. Like, if you were on day 14, it wouldn't take you.

But, CC Finlay seems fairly responsive on Twitter if questions are asked, which is really cool.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Well color me wrong (whatever color wrong is, I'm not sure; maybe purple).