• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Scary Triassic Croc-Morph

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to see "Peter Pan" re-done with that cheery fellow relentlessly pursuing Captain Hook...

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing how something as simple as "it walks on its hind legs" can take an crocodile from "this is a dangerous animal" to "this is nightmare-fodder" in my mind.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
*checks county map for NC**compares her county to Chatham**hoists shovel over her shoulder* If y'all'll excuse me, I've a backyard to start an archaeological dig in.

I've been tempted to go out dinosaur-fossil hunting before (we're the stegosaurus capital of the world), but mineral rights being what they are in Colorado, people typically don't own the very soil there house is built on.

It's amazing how something as simple as "it walks on its hind legs" can take an crocodile from "this is a dangerous animal" to "this is nightmare-fodder" in my mind.

Ditto.

Reading it was a 9' croc: "that doesn't sound so bad"
...that walked on hind-legs: "oh sh*t"

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

Six-foot salamanders from the same period don't seem nearly as fearsome.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Scary as it is, this dude got nothing on a later, more standardly aquatic croc that grew to be at least 40' long, in the Cretaceous Period. One of the greater mysteries of the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction is why so many major reptilian groups (dinosaurs, pterosaurs, marine mososaurs, plesiosaurs, etc.) died out, but crocodilians did not.

caw

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Scary as it is, this dude got nothing on a later, more standardly aquatic croc that grew to be at least 40' long, in the Cretaceous Period. One of the greater mysteries of the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction is why so many major reptilian groups (dinosaurs, pterosaurs, marine mososaurs, plesiosaurs, etc.) died out, but crocodilians did not.

caw

Crocodilians have the ability to go into a state of dormancy called aestivation that allows them to live without eating or drinking during long hot droughts. I don't know how long it can last, but periods of six months have been recorded.

Global ecological catastrophe is likely to clobber critters that need regular meals and clean fresh water to survive. The ability to aestivate would be a huge advantage at such times.