What we're reading, the SFF edition

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Finish Afrofuturism by Ytasha L. Womack. I thought it was extremely accessible, with lots of interesting topics explored. She covered everything from writing, to music, to ancient African tribes and the Egyptians. No stone was left unturned, although because of the wide scope, sometimes I felt like certain subjects got a lot more attention than others. Music, for instance, seemed to dominate when I was most interested in sci fi/fantasy books. But interesting. I would recommend it.

Thanks for this! I hadn't heard of this book, but now I am dying to read it. :)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Recently read Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion trilogy back to back (The Curse of Chalion et al), and was again reminded of what a brilliant, imaginative writer she is. It had been years since I first read them and I'd forgotten most of the plots, so it was almost like reading them new again.

Just finished Juliet Marillier's Dreamer's Pool, the first in what will probably be three books (she nearly always writes in threes). Was none too sure of it to begin with--three POVs (she normally only uses one), all in first-person, and one of those in present tense (which I find cumbersome to read). The main character was, for me, unlikeable starting out. (Though one Amazon reviewer said she took to that character immediately. Subjective business, reading.) However, JM excels at story-telling and narrative drive, and even while the dialogue is at times just not the best I've ever read, her books always tend to catch me up and propel me through the story.

Since I was in the mood for more Marillier, I started Shadowfell, which, despite a somewhat tedious start, has grown progressively more tense and interesting. Whatever else, she can tell a story.

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this! I hadn't heard of this book, but now I am dying to read it. :)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Currently reading The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. It has sort of flat characters, and the plane scenario isn't original but the cinematic, though workmanlike, prose is fast paced and doing what it should. del Toro & Hogan are building suspense well, and though I'm only a quarter of the way in, I have a ton of theories of what is to come, and what way certain characters are going to go.

Hopefully will be better than the disappointment I've been reading reviews talk about.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Finally bought Lynch's Republic of Thieves today, and Seven Forges by James A Moore. They'll have to sit on the TBR pile till I finish King of Thorns though.

Reaction score
K.J. Parker's The Folding Knife. It has its moments.

Also, listening through Abercrombie's Half a King audiobook, when I'm bored at work.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Finally bought Lynch's Republic of Thieves today, and Seven Forges by James A Moore. They'll have to sit on the TBR pile till I finish King of Thorns though.
I hate Jorge, but I keep buying these damn books. Presently nearing the end of Emperor of Thorns. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Finished two books.

The Waste Lands by Stephen King. I almost gave up on the Dark Tower series after being disappointed with the second book. I liked this one a lot better, though. The plot grinds to a halt at times, but when King writes suspense, he writes it so well. His imagination is also quite something.

Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams. I've heard that a lot of people didn't like this one, but I did. That being said, it was an uncomfortable read. However, I think that was the intention. Williams was writing about Hell. It should be an uncomfortable read. I don't mind that it was quite different from the first book. It actually reminded me a bit of The War of the Flowers, which I also enjoyed (though this one was darker).

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished reading Half a World by Abercrombie.

It was good, as his work always is. Amazing characterization, superb writing and so on. That being said, I can't help thinking this was one of his more cliched books. Honestly, the man should stay out of YA. It's limiting him. Some parts were seriously predictable and cheesy. Which is rare for him and rare for me to say. The first of the trilogy was much better. Anyway, I'll probably pick up the next book when it comes out. I'll pretty much read anything he coughs out.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Also, trying to read:

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone.
I only picked this up because his short stories are amazing. This book is his first and is not amazing. Maybe the series gets better, but so far not too interested. It's a highly magical world with gods and every sort of fantasy creature available. Which is interesting...but after that, it's hard to get the big deal. The whole mystery is predicated on the reader not understanding this complex magic. Seriously, there's no way to know if this is true mystery or not. I should be filled with a sense of wonder of this cool magic and instead it's treated as mundane.

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett
It's very...dark d and d. And kind of predictable. That's all I can desrcibe it as so far. And the part with the kissy girls squicked me out. Hopefully women have more agency as the book goes on. It does lead into a series, so he must be doing something right.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Circle of Reign by Jacob Cooper. I don't read very many self-published books, but I gave this one a chance because people recommended it on another forum.

I'm glad I gave it that chance. Cooper created an interesting world filled with characters I actually liked. The plot also moved along at a good clip. There was never a dull moment.

That being said, it's still clear at times that it was self-published. There were grammar/editing issues every now and then, but I never found they distracted from the story.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Kushiel's Dart. It took a while to get used to the writing style. It's a lot more lush than what I usually go for. There are also an absurd amount of characters to keep track of. But around the time that Joscelin was introduced was when I started really getting into it. (Without a decade's worth of word of mouth, I'm not sure I would have made it through the 300 pages it took for that to happen.) The denouement felt a little dragged out, but overall I really liked this and will read the rest of the series.

I also finally read my first Drizzt book! I've decided I can read Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, et al novels if I'm in the right mood for them. At the time DH and I were binge-watching Acquisition's Inc and getting ready to start a new tabletop campaign, so some of the more recognizably "game-y" bits made me feel all warm and fuzzy rather than snicker behind my hand. And the fight scenes really are as good as everyone says they are.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Juliet Marillier's trilogy: Shadowfell, Raven Flight*, and The Caller.

Overall, a pretty strong narrative drive, and there were times when I was very, very worried about one of the characters. Some surprises in the story, too. I loved her depictions of the Good Folk, and for the most part, I was emotionally invested in the main character's journey. The stakes were very high, so plenty of suspense as the story unfolded.

Reading Octavia Butler's Kindred now.

*No clue why the book was named Raven Flight. None.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished George R.R. Martin's The Sandkings. I loved it. The pacing was great, and the sandkings themselves were really interesting.

About half way through A Wizard of Earthsea, and it's fantastic so far.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell by Brandon Sanderson. It's not his best, but it was an entertaining short story. Like with Legion, I wish it had been longer. I didn't get a chance to connect with the characters as much as I would have liked.

KidCassandra

learning how to BIC
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Octavia Butler's Kindred now.

A very nice read. We studied it in a Haunted Lit class in undergrad. I read most of it very intently in one sitting, as I tend to do when a book makes me emotional or angry (in a good way).

--

Just finished Dirty Magic by Jaye Wells. It was an excellent read, very funny and voicy and fast-paced, but I'm a little weirded out by how similar her character is to mine.

The milieu, story situation, and plot are vastly different, but we both have a hot-tempered twenty-something woman struggling to make ends meet as the legal guardian of her fifteen-year-old brother, following the institutionalization of her closest family member.

That's a rather specific similarity...

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading some of Brian McClellan's Powder Mage shorts. I think I might read through all of them before I get started on the last book of the trilogy. McClellan has quickly become one of my favorite authors.

laazy

Epic procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Hero of Ages, and now I don't know what to do with my life. Brandon Sanderson is a genius storyteller, sigh.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Control Point by Myke Cole. I really enjoyed this one. I'd never read modern-day military fantasy before, and it was a lot of fun. It also had some deeper themes and a very conflicted main character (though some people found this to be inconsistency rather than conflict).

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Still need to finish Crown of Stars and Firekeeper.

Looked at 13 to Life, very meh.
I'm on the last of the Underland Chronicles. It's OK, but I feel it would have been a lot better with older characters, or at least longer timeskips between books, or just a longer series.
Virals was also OK, but I didn't feel like the premise could really keep my attention in a series, so I never went past the first book.
The School for Good and Evil I liked quite a bit, but am somewhat stymied ATM, as for some bizarre reason the second book in the series is not in e-book format but the first and third books are . . .

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Still need to finish Crown of Stars and Firekeeper.

Crown of Stars...I need to get back to that one. I enjoy it, but the sheer size of the books (and the tiny font) can be a little daunting.

That reminds me. I've had way too many DNFs this year. Stupid library wanting their books back.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Goddess Interrupted: Fairly solid supernatural romance. Not sure how it'll fair as a series, but we'll see.
Lord of the Changing Winds: I think this would have been better as part of a series with a continuous protagonist roster. With a changing roster I just can't bring myself to even try the next in the series. First book was OK I think.

krjwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Kushiel's Dart. It took a while to get used to the writing style. It's a lot more lush than what I usually go for. There are also an absurd amount of characters to keep track of. But around the time that Joscelin was introduced was when I started really getting into it. (Without a decade's worth of word of mouth, I'm not sure I would have made it through the 300 pages it took for that to happen.) The denouement felt a little dragged out, but overall I really liked this and will read the rest of the series.

I felt the same way about that book! I read it a few years ago, but only last week decided to finish the trilogy. Somehow I blew through the other two books in a little over a week, after more than a few nights of staying up until 3am because I couldn't stop myself. Once you get through that first book and have a semi-solid grasp on the characters, it's a lot easier to follow the plot instead of wondering who everyone is. I enjoy how she can merge tight plotting with that overly-lush style; even in a scene where everyone's just discussing politics, there's a sense of tension or expectation that comes through in the writing and pulls me through.

Now I'm going to slowly read everything she's written over the last decade, which seems to be a lot of books.