RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I heard the news at home and immediately cried. I still tear up when I think about it. All those books he'll never write and we will never read....

I knew it was coming but it still fecking hurts.

RIP Sir Terry. You were a big influence on me and in your books I find wisdom and courage and humour and comfort.

I'll miss you.

KidCassandra

learning how to BIC
Registered
Reaction score
I feel terrible that I haven't read more of his books. I discovered him by picking up Good Omens several years ago, and even though I read all of Neil Gaiman's other books shortly thereafter, I didn't really get into Pratchett until later when a friend gave me a handful of Discworld paperbacks.

Since he passed I've seen several very touching posts involving Pratchett's character Death, and how that character in some ways makes it easier for some people to come to terms with death as a concept. My favorite of the few Discworld books I have read are Mort and Reaper Man. I'd like to think that in some metaphysical way, the two of them are having some kind of conversation now... probably about cats.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I've flicked back and forth wanting to add something a few times, but failing to come up with the words. He was a great writer and there's no doubt he's missed already. My thoughts are with his family.

Rest in peace Terry.

ink pen

Registered
Reaction score
RIP Pterry. I read Discworld so much as a teenager, it definitely had an influence on me. Also, the books were a great thing for the family to bond over, as we all read them. 'Futures' became part of the family lexicon, meaning 'a dish or extra portions cooked specifically for putting in the freezer'.

I've installed an addon for my browser that shows when a website has GNU Terry Pratchett in the overhead. But I've not come across a site using it yet :(
Who[m] do I have to beg bribe shag ask for it to be added to AW? :tongue

[SUB]It's whom ... right?[/SUB]

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
I've installed an addon for my browser that shows when a website has GNU Terry Pratchett in the overhead. But I've not come across a site using it yet :(
Who[m] do I have to beg bribe shag ask for it to be added to AW? :tongue

I second this. Instructions to add it to a site can be found here, whoever does this: http://www.gnuterrypratchett.com/

(I hope someone writes a plugin for Firefox as well.)

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
I've been looking for a Firefox add-on, but could only find the Chrome one. Thanks a lot :D

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for that link. Very interesting.

The other day did a search to see what Terry Pratchett books were out there that I don't yet own. (Couple read from the library in hard back, not caught up with buying them). I hadn't realised btw that Going Postal and Hogfather had been filmed. Bought that. Watched Going Postal on the weekend and it was excellent. Nice interview with Sir Terry (which you want to watch after not before the film) and he gets a cameo as a postman right at the end.

Just re-reading Snuff (now in my own paperback copy) and that is very good.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't realised btw that Going Postal and Hogfather had been filmed. Bought that. Watched Going Postal on the weekend and it was excellent.
Ooh, I didn't realize Going Postal had become a film either, and it's one of my favourite Pratchett novels. I shall have to sniff around for that.

I liked the Hogfather film, but mainly because they kept the dialogue so true to the book. As a film, I didn't think it worked that well, but Terry Pratchett's incisiveness saved it, and I could forgive a lot for the things they did well (Teatime wasn't anything like how I imagined him, and yet he was utterly awesome. Likewise with Susan. And although Death looked kind of cheesy, his eyes looked exactly how I always imagined them -- and I wouldn't have thought the filmmakers could do that without CGI.)

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Going Postal is the best live action adaptation of Pratchett I've seen. It's still not what was in my head when reading - there's an energy to the books that always comes out hamfisted on film, for some reason - but it's a good effort.

David Jason is miscast in pretty much every adaptation he's been in. A very fine actor overall, but not in those shows.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Especially as Rincewind. Since playing the Discworld games, Eric Idle *is* Rincewind in my head.
I've never even considered who to cast as Rincewind, but YES. Eric Idle (minus a few decades) would be PERFECT.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Those were good, thanks Mr F.

Couple of things.

1. - Granny Weatherwax - I think Maggie Smith would do an excellent job there.

2. Just finished Raising Stream and then Mrs Bradshaw's travel book (which is delightful). So the railway is advancing into the Ramtops and there are tourists. I do wish there was going to be a book on the Witches opinion on tourists.....

And finally - I think it was Wintersmith - there was a note in the back from Terry Pratchett about how a Morris Group actually invited him to see a Dark Morris they'd choreographed based on the descriptions in his book. Hope that continues - it would be a nice memorial if a Dark Morris made it permanently into the folk dance repertoire.