The Great Absolute Write Spec Fiction Anthology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You want new pieces--what if I wrote the first few paragraphs somewhen ago but haven't finished it yet. Does that qualify?

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest you do not submit just a few paragraphs, despite the fact they do qualify on the "very, very, very short" aspect.

:D

But sure, go ahead and complete the story, and THEN submit it. Sure seems to me that meets the "written this year" criterion.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest you do not submit just a few paragraphs, despite the fact they do qualify on the "very, very, very short" aspect.

But sure, go ahead and complete the story, and THEN submit it. Sure seems to me that meets the "written this year" criterion.

Well, they are very, very, very good paragraphs. ;) But, yeah, let's see if I can finish the story.

Thanks!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Meep, just when I'm smack in the middle of a novella (which never happens).

I'll try to turn my short-short switch back on, then :D

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
One story at a time, please. If you get a rejection and there's still time, you're welcome to send another, then.

In that case, I am sending story one in today and will hold story two for the inevitable rejection (first rule of submission, always assume you will be rejected to save disappointment later :) )

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I know this was already asked but I wasn't really clear on the answer, is hardcore erotica allowed? More specifically, erotica with gays and/or lesbians?

Also, is poetry allowed?
As for hardcore erotica, this post states your options. The anthology will be a collection of speculative fiction. Erotic elements are allowed--even, I suppose, hardcore elements--but if the story is primarily erotica the chances of it being accepted is very slim.

We are not looking for poetry, thanks.

Peter

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So. Cool.

I'm working on a sequel to a couple other stories. AW Anthology!!!!!

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
The editor of the Great Absolute Write First Ever Speculative Fiction Anthology is . . .
>>>fanfare<<<​
MacAllister Stone!

Would you expect anyone less?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
The editor of the Great Absolute Write First Ever Speculative Fiction Anthology is . . .
>>>fanfare<<<:D

Whoa. Fanfare. I don't know that user.

<Runs and hides>

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Absolute Write Speculative Fiction Anthology FAQs

I have received several questions that deserve response, and while I have responded to the individuals, I think further explanations here (to you all) are warranted.

Topic, theme, content of story.
Because the anthology is of speculative fiction stories to be included, your story must not only contain speculative fiction elements, but be primarily speculative fiction. A story that incorporates erotic elements in an otherwise space opera theme should be primarily space opera, not primarily erotica. A story that might be designated Paranormal Romance, should be primarily paranormal with the romance playing second fiddle. My guess is that if you wrote a murder mystery on Titan, the murder should involve some spec fic element (like a ray gun or quantum blender or something), and not just be a knife in the throat in the waiting room of the offices of the Governor of Titan.​
Number of Submissions per author.
One. If you submit early enough and receive a rejection and the deadline (which is Sept 1) hasn't arrived, you may submit another story.​
Format of Submissions.
Please use standard manuscript format as suggested by SFWA.org. This article by Vonda McIntyre is exemplary.​
Word Count.
Any number of words up to 10,000 but no more. No exceptions. Shorter stories are preferred. The editor is especially interested in flash. Please understand: the shorter the stories, the greater number of them will be included in the anthology. We are aiming at a total word count for entire anthology of 90,000.​
Poetry
We do not want poetry, although a very brief interstitial story that has poetic elements might be accepted. In this one, folks, you take your chances.​
Editorial Staff.
MacAllister Stone is editor in chief of the anthology. Yours truly (Peter Porterfield) is art director.

There will be a panel of readers that chooses the winning entries. Those readers will NOT know the author's name or identity in any way (we will strip off all identifying information prior to them reading your story). Those readers will NOT be eligible to enter the contest. No, I do not know who is on the panel. MacAllister may know, but she ain't gonna tell anyone so don't ask.​
Artwork.
I apologize for not mentioning this initially. The anthology will be illustrated, much like Analog or Asimov's is, with a color cover and b&w internal introductory images. We will accept tear sheets from prospective illustrators for consideration.

Our art budget allows us to illustrate ten of the stories plus the color cover. The decision which story to illustrate is an editorial one and is not open for discussion from the authors. However, if you have a subject that you prefer to be in the illustration (the man in the conical hat in paragraph 14, or the like) you may so indicate. Please realize, however, that we may illustrate some or all or none.

Interested artists should send not more than three examples of your work (in .jpg format not greater than 1280 x 720 pixels, and not larger than 500kb in size) to [email protected].​
Payment.

• Payment for stories is 2¢ per word.
  • Payment for each of ten black and white interior illustrations is $20.00.
  • Payment for full color cover illustration is $300.00.
  • All in U.S. Dollars.
I think this pretty much covers everything, but in the event I omitted something, I will add to this post as necessary.

Thanks folks!
Peter

ETA: Added payment schedule.

Last edited:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
What I wanna know is: who's beta reading for whom?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Mine depressed me in a big way. Not that it sucks; it's just a tad too bleak, I think :ROFL:

I'll see if I can stick some raspberries in there somewhere :D

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
So, for the interest of the curious, for academic purposes only, what may be considered MacAllisters typical bribe rating? :)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
So, for the interest of the curious, for academic purposes only, what may be considered MacAllisters typical bribe rating? :)

Last I heard, she'd accept the blood sacrifice of (at minimum) three strong oxen bulls. Gosh knows what inflation's done to that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.