Not open for further replies.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Erm. *Looks around*

Did I miss something? Like an apoxyclips and no one told me? Or are we just practising again?

I'm trying to put an ancient sewing machine back together, if you could just hold on for a few more minutes.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I've got my Z-word-fighting boots on standby. Now all I need is a shotgun...

Why doesn't anyone say ZzzZZzzZZZ, dangit, ZzZZZzzz oh crud, I haven't even been drinking yet.

Why is it so hard to say the Zword in here?

I mean, its just a word.

Anyway, I have a question about SYW etiquette. ZZzZZz, dang you can't even sneak up on it.

Anyway, being serious now, I am very unlikely to get upset over anything anyone says. I figure, that no matter how brilliant I think my words are, there will be people who don't get them. A story doesn't work unless the person reading gets them. So, I need to put them in a way the reader gets. I mean, I am a super genius and all, how hard can it be right?:D

Anyway, my real question is this. This time for really real serious. If there was something I was trying to do, a way of portraying a character for example, is it ok to ask if it worked the way I intended? Like I said earlier, I have no intention of getting upset or arguing or anything. I just want to know if I succeeded at what I intended.

Sorry about the silly stupidness. I need to go to bed. Up too late last night editing.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Erm. *Looks around*

Did I miss something? Like an apoxyclips and no one told me? Or are we just practising again?

Not sure about the rest of the Cantina, but I am always training for the inevitable.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why doesn't anyone say ZzzZZzzZZZ, dangit, ZzZZZzzz oh crud, I haven't even been drinking yet.

Why is it so hard to say the Zword in here?

I mean, its just a word.

Short Answer(s):

1) Out of respect for some members who greater-than-three the word.

2) It's fun to say.

Long answer:

1) Math.

Anyway, I have a question about SYW etiquette. ZZzZZz, dang you can't even sneak up on it.

Anyway, being serious now, I am very unlikely to get upset over anything anyone says. I figure, that no matter how brilliant I think my words are, there will be people who don't get them. A story doesn't work unless the person reading gets them. So, I need to put them in a way the reader gets. I mean, I am a super genius and all, how hard can it be right?:D

Anyway, my real question is this. This time for really real serious. If there was something I was trying to do, a way of portraying a character for example, is it ok to ask if it worked the way I intended? Like I said earlier, I have no intention of getting upset or arguing or anything. I just want to know if I succeeded at what I intended.

Sorry about the silly stupidness. I need to go to bed. Up too late last night editing.

You can always ask if the critters on SYW interpreted your character/plot/tone a certain way. SYW is a very powerful thread with outstanding advice from knowledgable peers, however it is also a place that requires thick, thick skin. Like with any critique, ask 10 writers what they think and you'll get 20 different answers.

But yeah, if you're looking for something specific, there's no harm in asking. I do it to my betas all the time.*

*Although, in all fairness, it's usually, "How does it rank on a scale of 1 to ZOMGSUX!?" or "Sorry about the mess."

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Short Answer(s):

1) Out of respect for some members who greater-than-three the word.

2) It's fun to say.

Long answer:

1) Math.

Oh, ok, that's cool. I just thought, being the Cantina and all, there was a mind control machine in the back room or something. I wanted to know if I had to bring my tinfoil hat.

You can always ask if the critters on SYW interpreted your character/plot/tone a certain way. SYW is a very powerful thread with outstanding advice from knowledgable peers, however it is also a place that requires thick, thick skin. Like with any critique, ask 10 writers what they think and you'll get 20 different answers.

But yeah, if you're looking for something specific, there's no harm in asking. I do it to my betas all the time.*

*Although, in all fairness, it's usually, "How does it rank on a scale of 1 to ZOMGSUX!?" or "Sorry about the mess."

Thanks. Seriously. What I put up is definitely very beginner level stuff. Looks even worse because of something I tried to do that might not work as good as I hope, but we'll see.

I'm a foreign language teacher. I firmly believe no one learns without making mistakes. If someone at AW is kind enough to point mine out, there is no way I'm going to get mad at them.

ETA: Its either too late, or I've been in my characters' heads too long. My English in this post is embarrassing.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Yo.

Bad mood today. I'm pregnant and spend all my time with a two year old, a stupid dog and a very forgetful husband, I have a right.

:mad:

Although I'd welcome some happy distractions. :) Preferably anything that will help restore my faith in things male. Because right now, I'm in the "Men are stupid and useless" stage.

:gaah: I should go back to back, if only I could...

*collapses on smibble pile*

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Thanks, my friends. My kids and I are fine, just lots of truly epic sh*t going on around me.

(((((HUGS)))))

Busy morning is busy.

Also, I'm doing that thing where you write down what you do all day to keep track of how you use your time.

The results are... revealing. O.O

Too much AW times????

It's okay Krickers we LOVE you!! ((HUGS))

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Although I'd welcome some happy distractions. :) Preferably anything that will help restore my faith in things male.
My one just helped me reassemble my sewing machine. He's spent most of the morning scraping paint from the stairs and trying to sort out a problem with a DVD my parents can't watch even though he's 200 miles away from them and having to do it all remotely. I'm fairly sure he should be doing stuff for his university course really, but he's being far to darned helpful to moan at.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I intend to be dressed to kill.

Ba-dum-dum.

superheroes-batman-superman-yes-yes-he-does.jpg

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blah. That is all. Except to say you can ask for specific feedback in SYW. Glance at a few posts, especially samples from regulars and high post count members. Many ask for specifics in a polite manner.

Now back to blah.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Z-Words are keeping me from my office!!!!

Okay, not really. Just Seniors. (As in Uni, not ciitzens.) Some sort of ... thing... in the open area outside my office.

I still feel the need for shotguns and/or flamethrowers.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Morning all. The one day I could possibly, maybe, have someone actually phone me on my mobile device... I left it at home in the bathroom. Sigh.

When the apoxyclips comes I won't care about fashion. If it comes anywhere close to fitting without tripping me, I'll wear it.

well the shoulder pads will help keep you safe from bites and slamming into zombies... duh!

Woke up, showered, wound up at work.

I'm beginning to think "Hump Day" is a cruel misnomer.

Morning gang, whut up?

Today is my Thursday

Busy morning is busy.

Also, I'm doing that thing where you write down what you do all day to keep track of how you use your time.

Yesterday consisted of about 5 hours of Downton Abbey....

Erm. *Looks around*

yes, we're just practicing

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
I still feel the need for shotguns and/or flamethrowers.
You're like the Cantina's mad uncle, aren't you, Bos? Muttering about kids on your lawn whilst clutching a shotgun.

Metaphorically, of course.

Yesterday consisted of about 5 hours of Downton Abbey....

Time well spent, I feel.

Afternoon folks. The project OF DOOM11!!! plods on.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score

Sadly, my life is so regimented that I wouldn't need to track my minutes to know how they were spent. Though, if I did, Cantina time would be recorded under the "Frivolities and Carnal Delights section"...emphasis on the first part.

Not sure about the rest of the Cantina, but I am always training for the inevitable.

Me, too. This is why I'm constantly honing my dance routines, in case I'm ever called upon to join Sparkle Motion. *nods*

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Sadly, my life is so regimented that I wouldn't need to track my minutes to know how they were spent. Though, if I did, Cantina time would be recorded under the "Frivolities and Carnal Delights section"...emphasis on the first part.

Are these color coded?

Status
Not open for further replies.