Status
Not open for further replies.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I'm interested in some good lists of short stories.

Here are some lists I'm working through right now:

Carlie St. George's recommendation list (disclaimer: my story "Hunting Monsters" is listed as a favorite but I swear that's not how I found the post, I was just looking for lists of shorts!)

Ken Liu's recommendation list

Tor.com's "best of" list (<-- which limits you to things published by Tor.com, obviously)

I'm also working my way through the archives pages of Clarkesworld and Strange Horizons, where I've found some of my favorite stories in the past.

I feel like I read a lot of short fiction this year but I did not keep track of any of it, I DON'T KNOW WHY. AAAA.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started Daughter of Mystery by Heather Rose Jones. It's an early 19th century romance and mystery with SF elements. If it continues as it's begun, it will be a contender for a nomination on my Hugo ballot.

It's evidently on sale from the publisher, Bella Books, *two days* after I bought it at full price from Kobo. <cries>

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
As SL Huang mentioned, (thank you!), I edited a collection called Invisible that's eligible for the Best Related Work Hugo Award. It's a collection I edited of 14 essays about representation in science fiction and fantasy. I was blown away by the powerful, personal, and important stories people shared. The anthology has also raised almost $600 for the Carl Brandon Society.

I’d be happy to send a review copy to eligible voters (i.e., members of the 2014 or 2015 Worldcons). Email me, and I can send it along in .epub or .mobi format. If neither of those work for you, let me know and we’ll figure something out.

###

A lot of what I read over the past year was older, and so wouldn't be eligible. But a few things I think are worth looking at, award-wise:

City of Stairs, a novel by Robert Jackson Bennett
Long Hidden, an anthology edited by Rose Fox and Daniel Jose Older
Legend of Korra. This series has had its ups and downs, but season four has been blowing me away.

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
I’d be happy to send a review copy to eligible voters (i.e., members of the 2014 or 2015 Worldcons). Email me, and I can send it along in .epub or .mobi format. If neither of those work for you, let me know and we’ll figure something out.

It sure would be nice if the Hugo page would allow a way for us to make free copies of our mobi and epub files available to all voters at the nominating stage, perhaps something that shows our covers and a small blurb and lets voters download only what strikes their fancy. For small publishers who can't afford to ship out tons of free books this would truly help.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
knight_tour, that's an idea that can be proposed by any member of the 2015 WorldCon (Sasquan) and the proposal forwarded to the business meeting this year. You're a member. You can do it if you wish.

Information on how to go about changing the rules for the Hugo Awards.

If you need any assistance from a person physically at the business meeting, contact me when you've got your proposal put together. I'm planning to attend the business meeting.

For those who actually attend Sasquan and want to vote at the Business Meeting (every attending member has a vote) here is a Guide to the WSFS Business meeting that Kevin Standlee put together.

And that's probably enough of that. Any more and it'll derail this thread.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
More recommendations:

Best short story: Never the Same, by Polenth Blake
(I consider Polenth an Internet Friend but that doesn't matter; this story absolutely freaking blew me away.)

Best fanzine:
Lady Business

Best related work: Even though last year a blog post won, I still feel a bit weird about nominating one, but I have the slots and this essay was amazing: Stand Back! I'm Going to Quote Junot Diaz (Thinking About Language), by John Chu

-------------------------------------

More recommendations lists I'm reading off of:

Aliette de Bodard's recommendation list (disclaimer: this one also lists my story "Hunting Monsters," and this time that is how I first saw it :))

John Chu's recommendation list

Usman T. Malik's recommendation list

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, seconding slhuang's recommendation for John Chu's essay.

Also, as a side note, Hugo nominations open on Jan. 16th.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I will edit my original post with this too, but for those only checking new posts:

My publisher and I would love for Nebula voters to consider my novel Otherbound for the Andre Norton award. If you're interested, please email me at [email protected] for an e-copy (and confirm that you're a SFWA member).

Thank you!

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Hugo Nominations are now open, but I see there has been an unexpected delay in sending out the PIN e-mails.

Here is a link where you can request that a PIN e-mail be sent to your e-mail address of record.

If you joined very recently, I have no idea how up to date the database behind that is. But it is a neat feature I hope other WorldCons take a good, constructive look at.

http://sasquan.org/hugo-awards/pin-lookup/

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
If you have already submitted nominations for the Hugo Awards online, I recommend you log back in and verify the information is still there.

I encountered a problem where my nominations weren't saved. The Hugo Committee has fixed the glich quite promptly and it's working for me now.

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
If you have already submitted nominations for the Hugo Awards online, I recommend you log back in and verify the information is still there.

I encountered a problem where my nominations weren't saved. The Hugo Committee has fixed the glich quite promptly and it's working for me now.

Thank you! My nominations were gone...

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Daughter of Mystery (Novel) by Heather Rose Jones and it's really good! The plot does not rely on people being obtuse or idiots to carry on. When there is a misunderstanding, people >gasp< talk to each other about it. The romance is sweet and believable to me both regarding the time period and also the unequal social position they have with each other. The Mysteries are very interesting and I like the way they're dealt with. This is definitely on my list!

I also really like What Makes this Book so Great by Jo Walton (Related Work). It's also going on my ballot. I adore her book reviews and criticism on Tor.com.

ETA1:
Adding Toad Words by Ursula Vernon (short story).

Adding "Edge of Tomorrow" (Best Dramatic Presentation--Long Form). I'm not a Cruise fan but this was a good movie.

ETA2:
Saw The Giver, which was OK, and Divergent, which was meh. Neither will go on my ballot.

I’ve added the Lesbian Historic Motif Project by Heather Rose Jones, and People of Color in European Art History by @medievalpoc to the Best Related Work category. Both these projects have a TON of resources for historically correct diversity. Great resources for writers of #WeNeedDiverseBooks.

I’ve read 2.5 short stories. Oh God, oh, God, oh God. Soooo many unread short stories!!

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Please note that if you wish to nominate for the Hugos, you must have an attending or supporting membership for LonCon3, Sasquan or MidAmeriCon2 by January 31, 2015.

Nominations are due March 10.

Last edited:

Kevans

Fish from another stream
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I slipped our memberships in just under the wire.

Sources tell me that the last push of registrations may not be input until mid next week.

In the immortal words of the HHG... "Don't Panic." (At least not yet, grin.)

Regards,
Kevin

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
As a note, tonight is the last chance to nominate for the Nebula Awards. Linky.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I was wrong.

Hugo nominations are due MARCH 10 at 11:59 pm PACIFIC time.

M A R C H 1 0.

If you posessed a membership to LonCon3, Sasquan or MidAmericon2 on January 31, 2015 you can nominate for the Hugos.

By M A R C H 1 0.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
No, no, it's M A R C H 1 0. I apologize for under-emphasizing the date. I'll make it red. You can seeeeeee it better!

Also, Toad Words, which I lurrrve and adore and have adorned my nomination ballot with.

Status
Not open for further replies.