RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
[bleep]

Alzheimer’s frightens me. My own grandmother suffered from it before she died. I can only hope Pratchett held on to his lucidity as best as he could...

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
As sad as it is - I'm glad it happened so quickly and surrounded by his family. He was a gent. When my college forgot to ask permission to put on Wyrd Sisters all he asked for was a few tickets.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
RIP, Mr. Pratchett. I saw the tweet THE END. sad. poignant. Fare thee well...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I feel devastated. My father introduced me to the Nomes Trilogy as a kid and into Discworld as a teen. He was one of the first authors I read in English and I always keep a Discworld novel around as a palate cleanser. Now that he's gone, I don't think I want to ever finish the Discworld series

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a loss to the world. A huge chunk of my books in my Kindle library are Pratchett books, each one read and reread half a dozen times.

Fuck. I want to say something good in his memory but I'm at a loss right now. I'm glad there are so many threads about him on AW. I want to see him everywhere.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RIP good man. Thanks for all you did and wrote for us.

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terribly sad. It's brought me to tears. I've loved his books and will continue to do so (Moving Pictures was on my desk as my current Discworld read when I saw the news). He was a wonderful person and my favourite writer.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terribly sad. It's brought me to tears. I've loved his books and will continue to do so (Moving Pictures was on my desk as my current Discworld read when I saw the news). He was a wonderful person and my favourite writer.

*hugs* The news made me sob like a child. I always return to Discworld in between new reads. I just finished Carpe Jugulum for the 4th time 3 days ago. I feel so lost at the thought that there will be no new Discworld books.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
*hugs* The news made me sob like a child. I always return to Discworld in between new reads. I just finished Carpe Jugulum for the 4th time 3 days ago. I feel so lost at the thought that there will be no new Discworld books.

*hugs for everyone* Same here. Ugly tears right in the middle of the office. I mean, I thought just a few months ago he said he was working on another Tiffany Aching book. He always sounded so good, still writing and plotting. I thought we'd see loose ends tied up over the next few years, get a proper goodbye to everyone. It's... bizarre to realize it's done now.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I've got all the feels right now. Every few minutes my mind snaps back to the fact that he's gone. We won't get any more wonderful tales from him. It's over and I'm not handling that very well. I haven't read nearly as much of his writing as many of you have, but what I did read has inspired and filled me with so much joy that few authors can rival. I can seriously count them on one hand. It's a connection not just to what he's written, but to him and now I feel a bit lost. And I'm just sad.

And then I read what Neil Gaiman had to say and I lost my shit. Tears.

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
He had such a sharp eye for the absurdities in human life. And he had the skill to write novels with great characters, fun plots, and strong messages.

He will be so easy to remember. He left us his sardonic voice and his caring ideas.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
I just started my first Terry Pratchett novel, too, Good Omens. This is a sad day, indeed.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
a lunch table I'd love ..
Will Rodgers, Mark Twain, and Terry Prachett ,as I quietly filled the fourth chair to observe.

KokkieH

Making this up as I go along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kokkieh.blog
My love for SFF is largely thanks to Sir Terry's books, and I think my desire to be a writer as well. This is incredibly sad news, but his legacy will live on in all the books and wonderful characters he created.