Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I am actually quite teary. Such a brilliant writer and a gentle wit (with some bite to it anyway) His books had a massive influence on me -- not just for writing either

I can remember where I was when I first saw one of his books. A squat in Brighton, and a crusty runs in waving a book (Guards, Guards) shouting "GUYS YOU HAVE GOT TO READ THIS".

He was right.

Bye, Terry

*sniff*

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
One of the most humane writers I've ever read. When I saw this on the news this morning, my stomach just dropped.

I know what I'll be rereading today.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Sad, sad day.

Didn't think I'd tear up but I am.:cry:God, he will be missed.

Neil Gaiman was right: There was nobody like him.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
My word, this is indeed a shock. RIP Sir Pratchett. His name will go down in history as one of the greatest writers of his time.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Been tearing up off and on all day. i love his books. Lynn and Rhianna are much in my thoughts.

BabySealWriter

Often misses his target
Registered
Reaction score
I owe a lot to Mr. Pratchett and this news saddens me greatly. The Discworld books along with Richard Bach and Vonugut's works are the first exposure I had to SFF and the reason I wanted to become a writer. A sad day indeed.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've been sniffling all day, even though I knew it was coming. I cry not only for a damn fine writer who inspired me 30 years ago, but one of the most pervasive and persuasive humanists of our time.

I'm horrible at writing humor, so I treasure the great examples I read. His was stratospheres above so many others, all the richer for the deft and not-so-deft subtexts he wove around the jokes.

PTerry has been, for many years, one of the litmus tests I apply to people I meet in real life or online, in any kind of friend or fellow-writer capacity. If they don't understand and don't like Pratchett's work, then they and I don't have much in common.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
This one really hit me. I really respected him as a writer. RIP.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Let us remember Sir Terry's motto, blazoned on his coat of arms in 2010, years after his diagnosis - Noli Timere Messorem:

Don't Fear the Reaper.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blergh, now I'm just sitting at the office reading everyone's tributes and trying not to bawl. I was lucky enough to attend an event with Sir Terry and his agent in London a few years ago, during the release of SNUFF. It was apparent by then that he was struggling a bit, and he was so thin it surprised me. But I'm still not prepared. I still took it for granted that there would be a few more books, a few more romps with Tiffany Aching and Moist von Lipwig and Granny Weatherwax...

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I am well into my middle age, but I've been reading Terry Pratchett since I was about thirteen years old. In an important way, this man helped shape who I am and what I love. There are so many quotes from his books that I love that I couldn't even list them all. It helps a little that we knew this was coming, but only a little. I'm still pretty sniffly, and I learned of it hours ago.

Thank you so much, Sir Terry. Thank you for making me laugh and think and feel great big feels for so much of my life. You enriched my existence from across an ocean. Thank you for the ink on the page that transmuted into such bright worlds and much-loved people. Thank you.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."
--- from The Hogfather
"Rules are there to make you think before you break them!"
--- from Thief of Time
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs, a very endearing sight, I'm sure you'll agree. And even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged onto a half submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters, who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature's wonders, gentlemen. Mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that is when I first learned about evil. It is built into the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."
--- from Unseen Academicals

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Whoa, very Schopenhauer quote from the Unseen Academicals:D

I took my dad's copies of the Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic when I was 12, and they were super boring. I tried again when I was 13--and they were brilliant.

But to this day, it's the first three books--Strata, The Dark Side of the Sun, and The Carpet People--that give me the most joy. They are very light, and yet full of youthful energy. Like early albums of great bands.

I'll miss this guy. I live in dread of waiting for Michael Moorcock and Brian Aldiss and Larry Niven to croak. Because we'll all be orphans then; no-one has stepped up to fill their shoes...

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
As serious fantasy, as laugh-out-loud comedy, as needle-sharp satire, as observation and commentary, as a mirror to the world, and as something to aspire to, the works of Terry Pratchett are books I keep coming back to - and books in which I find something new every time I read them, even if I've read them a dozen times before.

RIP.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
:(

Did anyone check for an 'I ATEN'T DEAD' sign?

Also, on the same day this happened. I definitely think they should name it Leshp in his honour.

Pratchett was one of the first adult authors I ever read, and now, many years later, I'm still reading and still loving his books. He's easily my most read author.
Started buying and reading the Discworld series in order Christmas 2013 when I got my Kindle, and I'm up to Jingo now, number 21.

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
This is very sad. You will be missed, Sir Terry Prachett. Like some of you, I've been teary all day.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Nuts. Want to swear a lot about this one.
About 90% of the quotes I use for situations come from Terry Pratchett. From Sergeant Colon having a breastplate moulded with muscle and fitting it "like a jelly fits its mould", through the three witches "when shall we three meet again?" "I don't know about you, but I can do next Tuesday" and lots of ones from the Unadulterated Cat.

I always reckoned he had a mind with a really big attic - so many odd things stored up.
One I really admired was from Interesting Times. There are several chase scenes, which go through a garden, past a certain willow tree, over a bridge - and if you picture them carefully he is describing the picture on willow pattern china. That is really clever.