Creative Words For Supreme Ruler For 15 Fantasy Races

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I am trying to create a suggestive word for an empress who rules over a matriarchal civilization.
Does anyone use a technique that they could share in creating fantasy words like these?

Thank you.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
There's a SciFi/Fantasy forum that would probably be able to answer your question better.

To add: Don't make another thread, just ask a mod to move this one.

To the question: Look into the culture and language of your world. Find or create an answer from there.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I am trying to create a suggestive word for an empress who rules over a matriarchal civilization.
Does anyone use a technique that they could share in creating fantasy words like these?
Depends on the language and the culture and a dozen other things that only you the author know! Is it serious? Uh... the Empress-Oracle, or whatever she has in the way of power that keeps her on the throne. Is it humorous? Big Mamma. The Grand Muthafucka.

Or maybe one or two words just isn't enough! Who wouldn't remember a title like Her Supreme Majesty, Queen Kelirehenna I, Lord of Sto Lat, Protector of the Eight Protectorates and Empress of the Long Thin Debated Piece Hubwards of Sto Kerrig.

-Derek

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
The answer is going to come from your worldbuilding,I'm afraid. No one can figure that out but you.

A good example I remember from Melissa Scott's 'Point of Hopes' novel and sequels: the matriarchal society is an alternate reality Renaissance Europe. 'Maseigne' is an honorific that shows up often.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
The answer is going to come from your worldbuilding,I'm afraid. No one can figure that out but you.

Yup

Here is a list if historical tiles (male and female) that might help you out/give you ideas. But your world is your best inspiration.

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
How about "Auntie"* or "Grandmother"?

*"Auntie" is often used IRL by indigenous Australians as a mark of respect towards elders in the community. Meanwhile, "Grandmother" I pretty much made up on the spot. If each of these 15 races are led by a "Mother" for example, then the supreme leader could be a "Grandmother".

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought Debra Doyle and (AW's favourite uncle!) James D. MacDonald's term Domina, from the Mageworld books, was a particularly great title for a female dictator/ruler/big Kahuna/empress.

Last edited:

Salaris

Fantasy Writer and Game Designer
Registered
Reaction score
You can always append a description to a more standard title (e.g. "God Empress") or pick a cool historical title. Maybe find something synonymous for "Empress" in another language, depending on the cultures used in your setting?

Reaction score
I always thought Debra Doyle and (AW's favourite uncle!) James D. MacDonald's term Domina, from the Mageworld books, was a particularly great title for a female dictator/ruler/big Kahuna/empress.

jjdeben, you are definitely on the right track.
Domina, is an excellent idea.

Filligree, Maseigne is beautiful in a way. Nice suggestion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Depends on the language and the culture and a dozen other things that only you the author know! Is it serious? Uh... the Empress-Oracle, or whatever she has in the way of power that keeps her on the throne. Is it humorous? Big Mamma. The Grand Muthafucka.

Or maybe one or two words just isn't enough! Who wouldn't remember a title like Her Supreme Majesty, Queen Kelirehenna I, Lord of Sto Lat, Protector of the Eight Protectorates and Empress of the Long Thin Debated Piece Hubwards of Sto Kerrig.

-Derek

I love that you made this statement, because this is where I have run into a bit of trouble.
My mind is saturated to an overwhelming level with my world building.

The thing is that I have over thirty college-sized notebooks and over 800 files saved in the cloud of my world building and dialogue.
I feel terrible, terrible, terrible, that I have to do this! But, I write my witty comments under specific categories beforehand.
I have six notebooks full of insults and pointed dialogue.
My humor, though needing setup, is categorized in three more notebooks.
Fauna and flora takes up another notebook and culture I keep in files in my cloud account.
Etc., etc. etc.
The point is I am buried under mounds of my own information to the extreme of me being devoid of any objectivity even if my ideas are bad.
I am ashamed to say that I am unable to tell my mistakes in framing my ideas.

Reaction score
Yup

Here is a list if historical tiles (male and female) that might help you out/give you ideas. But your world is your best inspiration.

Thank you for the article.

These were what I have been agonizing over:
The Shaltana of Wardara.
The Zultana of Boundin.
The Shazelle of Miraka.
The Shitzara of Dedo.
And as an violent insult her enemies call the Shazelle the Vulturess of Miraka.

Reaction score
How about "Auntie"* or "Grandmother"?

*"Auntie" is often used IRL by indigenous Australians as a mark of respect towards elders in the community. Meanwhile, "Grandmother" I pretty much made up on the spot. If each of these 15 races are led by a "Mother" for example, then the supreme leader could be a "Grandmother".

Good observation, and I like Grandmother. But I fear that it's many innocuous associations would render it nonpowerful to readers.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
'Domina' is Latin for 'Lady', I've used it a time or two myself for Latin-rooted characters. From the Latin for 'Emperor' we have 'Imperatrix', which is (in my opinion) a really cool word.

(I would recommend against 'Shitzara', at least if you're going to leave the 't' in. Unless you want people to shorten it for another violent insult, anyway.)

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
It is totally stealing from AHS and your own thread title, but I absolutely loved the title of The Supreme. It just had this air to it that I can't describe. I like simple titles that focus more on status than gender though. So if I encounter The Supreme, The Divine, The Allseer, The Nonpareil or The Paramount it catches my attention.

Reaction score
'Domina' is Latin for 'Lady', I've used it a time or two myself for Latin-rooted characters. From the Latin for 'Emperor' we have 'Imperatrix', which is (in my opinion) a really cool word.

(I would recommend against 'Shitzara', at least if you're going to leave the 't' in. Unless you want people to shorten it for another violent insult, anyway.)

I love Domina, Clare.

And thanx for reminding me about Imperatrix, I've been looking for it for a long time now.

Reaction score
It is totally stealing from AHS and your own thread title, but I absolutely loved the title of The Supreme. It just had this air to it that I can't describe. I like simple titles that focus more on status than gender though. So if I encounter The Supreme, The Divine, The Allseer, The Nonpareil or The Paramount it catches my attention.

Good observation.
I noticed that I've become very partial to names or created words of only two syllables.

This is an over-simplification, but I find that above three syllables words or names begin to lose their impact.
Three syllables for me is the cut-off point, and it has to be special at three syllables to jolt me.
If it is a short word or title I have noticed that one syllable works best. So, all of my naming conventions adhere to these limits.

Of course, there are words that work outside of these limitations. I am just stating my taste.

Reaction score

Clare, is there another way to spell shitzara or make something close?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Clare, is there another way to spell shitzara or make something close?

That's really something you could probably deal with yourself.

ETA: The -elle and -trix endings are worrying me. In a matriarchal civilisation, surely the leader would not carry a title like that.

Last edited:

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
That's really something you could probably deal with yourself.

ETA: The -elle and -trix endings are worrying me. In a matriarchal civilisation, surely the leader would not carry a title like that.

Wouldn't the feminine endings be the gender-neutral ones in that setting? And they'd change it for the masculine form. (I'm guessing language does not work that way, but I don't really know enough to explain why.)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Wouldn't the feminine endings be the gender-neutral ones in that setting? And they'd change it for the masculine form. (I'm guessing language does not work that way, but I don't really know enough to explain why.)

I get what you're saying, but it seems to me that if the title's based on existing languages (e.g. -elle and -trix endings), then it might be a lot to explain.