Creative Words For Supreme Ruler For 15 Fantasy Races

Reaction score
That's really something you could probably deal with yourself.

ETA: The -elle and -trix endings are worrying me. In a matriarchal civilisation, surely the leader would not carry a title like that.

Hi Helix, my question is:

Why are the endings -elle and -trix bad?
I never thougth that the society that I have in mind would question any convention because the matriarchy is by Constitution a benevolent Tyranny.

Every aspect of the people's lives are dictated by the state.

For example, the Empress is able to locate anyone in any district of her continent because there is a system of pass papers at every so many dozen miles, that has to be checked at a posada which is a roadside hostel and traveler's stop. These are mandated by law.

But the people who slip through this net are restricted in this way:

a culture of heavy reward for informing on anyone who tries to evade the pass system is encouraged by the state. And the public is reminded that no one is worth the risk of being arrested for if they see something illegal and don't report it.

A level of poverty is secretly maintained by the Matriarchy in order to ensure that the poor will always inform on anyone close because of persistent financial need.

So, if a resident tries to evade even that, the Matriarchy understands that he will have to contact somebody somewhere, at sometime, whether it be for salt, or to ask for directions, or to ask for news. Then that loner would be once again on the radar.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Why are the endings -elle and -trix bad?
I never thougth that the society that I have in mind would question any convention because the matriarchy is by Constitution a benevolent Tyranny.
If your planet's culture is a matriarchy, then the default word for the leader would not have a suffix denoting the person bearing the title is female.

For example, in a male-dominated society, you have a word -- "actor". To describe a female actor (because actors are assumed to be male by default) the spelling is feminized -- "actress".

In a female-dominated society, it would be the opposite. The word for a female actor would simply be "actor". The word for a male actor would need a masculinized suffix -- perhaps "actorando".

So if your societies are matriarchial, it isn't consistent for you to have the words that describes the leaders to have feminized suffixes. That's a trait of a patriarchal society.

Last edited:

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
If your planet's culture is a matriarchy, then the default word for the leader would not have a suffix denoting the person bearing the title is female.

For example, in a male-dominated society, you have a word -- "actor". To describe a female actor (because actors are assumed to be male by default) the spelling is feminized -- "actress".

In a female-dominated society, it would be the opposite. The word for a female actor would simply be "actor". The word for a male actor would need a masculinized suffix -- perhaps "actorando".

So if your societies are matriarchial, it isn't consistent for you to have the words that describes the leaders to have feminized suffixes. That's a trait of a patriarchal society.

Yep. We have fewer gendered titles in use in Norway where I come from. (Although to be honest when some of the ones that were gendered disappear, we do adopt what was once male as genderless.)
Examples of genderless titles in English are journalist, athlete (is that spelled right?), boxer. Female endings of those could be journalistrix, athletess, and boxress. (And the only reason those sound wrong is that they are unfamiliar, and that I made them up on the spot.)
In Norway, "skuespillerinne" (actress) is becoming less common, "skuespiller" (actor) is taking over. Sadly, often prefixed with "kvinnelig" (female).

The point is that female words are pretty obvious. And even the discontinuation of their use shows up as obvious.
In a society that has been matriarchal over time I'd at the very least expect gender neutral words for a ruler. As my examples show, that might be difficult. What you can do instead is "male" female words. If they refer to rulers in other places as "queener" (as an example that took me half a second to come up with, and thus isn't very good) then it shows that they have female rulers as a default.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Thank you for clearing that up.

I want to hear what you have to say, Helix.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
If we're coming up with new words, there's nothing to stop them having a more 'feminine' ending as well as being a natural default. Since the default usually seems to be the shorter it could just take a little pruning and grafting, such as:

Impera and Imperano.
Reye and Reyond.
Sulta and Sultam.
Queen and Queening.

Reaction score
If we're coming up with new words, there's nothing to stop them having a more 'feminine' ending as well as being a natural default. Since the default usually seems to be the shorter it could just take a little pruning and grafting, such as:

Impera and Imperano.
Reye and Reyond.
Sulta and Sultam.
Queen and Queening.

I love number 2!
I like number 1, but could I say Impera and Imperand?
Next question is are we allowed to use these?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I think that H. Rider Haggard created the best name/title in She, Who Must Be Obeyed. You might not want to use that exactly, but a variation might work.

Reaction score
I think that H. Rider Haggard created the best name/title in She, Who Must Be Obeyed. You might not want to use that exactly, but a variation might work.

Is there a version that is only two syllables?

It reminds me of a suburban parent who was handed the perfect excuse he was looking for to proscribe the unhealthy relationship (according to him), between his youngest daughter and her new boyfriend.

Upon arriving at the home on time and knocking for his date, the father opened the door and gave the familiar spiel to the youth and demanded that he go into detail about himself.
Now, totally balked by this barrage, the man uncertainly offered that,
Well, I was christened Andre Georgino Isaiah Washington McKenzie, and-
The father didn't allow him to go any further, for he yelled,
How many people did I allow my daughter to date? According to her it was just one not four! What do you take me for? I am sorry, Sir, I do not recognize you. And as a matter of a fact neither will she!
Good bye!

Which was punctuated with a robust door slam to the face!