Rewrite Request (advice, strategies, experiences)

Capability

Registered
Reaction score
So, I have a rewrite request from a pro market I have longed to crack for a while now. I like their notes regarding the story. They're in line with my own thoughts, and have confirmed what I suspected about thirty minutes after I hit "send": I submitted one draft early.

Does anyone have experience with rewrite requests? Could you tell me how it went, what you learned, what you'd advise?

I had one other revise&resubmit, but while the story was a little improved, they still didn't take the new version. (I think they were right to reject it-- that one's trunked now.) I don't want to make that mistake again. Especially with a story that I really love.

Thanks in advance, W1/S1ers!

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, a rewrite request at a pro market! Congratulations, that is exciting and nerve-wracking. I know this has happened to Fihr so I hope she'll check in and tell you about her experience.

My first rewrite request was for a very early story of mine that was never going to be exactly what the (token) market wanted, and they rejected the rewrite. I've subsequently refused a rewrite request from a token market because I really loved the story the way it was (though later I made a minor tweak based on their feedback.) Recently I was asked to rewrite a story for a semi-pro market, I did the rewrite and the story was accepted.

A rewrite request is always a learning experience, and from a pro market I hope it will be a really positive one. What a great opportunity to learn from a professional editor. They must really love your story!

In practical terms, I'd suggest you space out the revision and the resubmission as much as possible so you can get perspective on the new version before you resubmit. E.g. if you have 2 weeks to do the rewrite, do a revision in the next few days so you have time to leave it completely and go back to it fresh before your deadline.

I might be able to beta-read for you before you resubmit, depending on the length of the story - send me a PM if you'd like :)

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
I've gotten one rewrite request. The market had published me once before, and accepted the rewrite as well. Some advice they gave me echoes what Aislinn posted. Their experience with rewrites, the editor counseled me, showed that quick rewrites and resubs often were rejected, so I should take some time, at least a week or two, revising and re-reading.

Also, FWIW, the editor provided "big picture" suggestions for the rewrite, supported with brief, illustrative examples. I rewrote using my interpretations of the big picture and avoided writing anything that only parroted the specific examples.

Good luck!

Peter DiChellis

Capability

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Aislinn and pdichellis-- especially the reminder to take some extra time on it. The last rewrite I rushed, making cosmetic changes when the problems were structural, and I REALLY don't want to make that mistake again. I have time, so I'm going to make the changes early, then let it sit as you suggested, Aislinn.

Whether they take it or not, I know the story is going to be better for the work, and it's nice to have a clear sense of direction for revision (that's me Pollyanna'ing against the possibility of rejection!)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Bump ...

I'm curious to know what kind of crits (is that the right word? - I mean, specific advice the editor gives) people have had when they get rewrite requests. If anyone would be so kind as to share :)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck. Just do exactly what they say. It might help to go through the story first without looking at the comments from the editor; it might put you in a better frame of mind to handle any cryptic suggestions.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
The first book-length thing I ever published--a novella--I had to make two changes--the first chapter, and toward the end (both changes made the novella a better story, BTW). I did it over one evening, it was accepted, edited, published. Since then no-one has asked for any changes in any novel* or novella. Only line editing stuff.

Concerning short stories, only once did anyone ask a change to publish--I had to get the killer psychopath to stop calling his hostages 'goddamn faggots' and they turned into 'goddamn losers'. It was a young magazine, they were nervous about possibly offending people, and since the story had been written 2-3 years ago I really didn't care--any emotional investment had evaporated within days of writing it.

____
*Aside from one complex crazy novel which bigger publishers view as too crackpot, while minor publishers want to 'simplify' it, so it waits, biding its time, until I have the clout to have it published as it is...

Last edited: