Beta Readers/Crit Requests

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
alex - sent you a PM

I have a 2,000 word short that got no nibbles on a round of submissions. I thought it was solid but perhaps I need a fresh pair of eyes on it, maybe the ending is a little rushed. It's offbeat-ish with an ambiguous twist that could be interpreted as having sci-fi undertones.

Dave

Thanks a lot Dave. I just sent a story your way, and please feel free to send me yours.

Also, it's never too late to sign up for W1S1 and join in the fun! But even if you don't, you are welcome to hang out here with the rest of us, anyway.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
OK, I need a beta for two things. One is a 700 word speculative fiction story.

The other is sorta like a poem...but not really. Maybe 100 words? Literary, I think :Shrug:

You can help with one or both.

I especially need help targeting a market for both, after fixing whatever needs to be fixed ;)

I will pm them to anyone who is interested. :D And I will return the favor too, if needed.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please feel free to e-mail me both at kingsgames at gmail dot com and I will be happy to crit them. Not sure how useful I might be on a 100-word thing, but I will give you my honest opinion.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
Hi,

I have another one.

It's 5,200 words, SF-ish, real-world, set in what seems to be the present day, in an unknown city. Story revolves around genetically-modified food, a researcher who loses his mind, and a man who talks to vegetables.

It's by far the longest short I've ever written (I'm usually pretty close to 2,000 words), so I need to check for pacing, and anything else a second pair of eyes might spot.

I wrote it out over the last few days, but I have been thinking about it for a while. On my second draft, I was only fixing typos, so it's probably a good time for a crit.

Any takers?

Dave

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dave,

Shoot it my way. Not sure I can do it tonight, but I'll be happy to take a look.

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
I've posted a 2,200 word light fantasy short story in the SYW area if anyone wants to take a look at it. It was an attempted flash I wrote a year ago that ended up way too long, and with a weak ending. I finally took a stab at a new ending tonight that is, hopefully, a bit better. Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6011262#post6011262

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score

The other is sorta like a poem...but not really. Maybe 100 words? Literary, I think :Shrug:

You can help with one or both.

I especially need help targeting a market for both, after fixing whatever needs to be fixed ;)

I will pm them to anyone who is interested. :D And I will return the favor too, if needed.

I'll take a look at the spec fic story.

I'll pass on the 100 word literary poem/thing though. I fear I'd write 300 words trying to explain what I thought of the 100, and have it all be nonsensical, and as I don't normal read/write anything that short, I'd be useless at suggesting a target market.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score

You've already had some takers, but if you'd like any more you can PM me or just send them to shelleyo at gtec dot com.

Shelley

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I posted a 1,000 word story in the Suddenly Fiction section here (password: flashed). Any and all comments, sweet or sour, are more than welcome. :D My major concern is whether it seems like a full story. I'm worried it doesn't...

And Soapdish, if you still need a crit, I'd be happy to look at the story and/or the poem.

:)Smish

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I had a look and left my comments. Like it, had a few suggestions (I always do, it's a curse) and yes, felt like a full story to me. :)

I posted a 1,000 word story in the Suddenly Fiction section here (password: flashed). Any and all comments, sweet or sour, are more than welcome.

Shelley

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Shelleyo! Your suggestions are great, especially regarding the dialogue. Much appreciated. :D