Write 1/Sub 1 2014

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm starting a new job, in a new country, after having a great semester teaching a new class in a new environment. I think my main goal is to weekly write my experiences down for synthesis when I return to my country in a year. But to submit once a month, whether it be something new or reworked stories. My main focus for this year is experiences, observations, and revision.
Cool! You'll have an interesting year, no doubt :)

DuchessCummerbund

Registered
Reaction score
Hullo hullo! AW baby here and I'm so excited to have stumbled on this thread!

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm definitely in.

My writing goals for 2014 are:
1. Write 1 short story every week (52 stories written)
2. Polish and submit 1 short story every fortnight (26 stories submitted *gulp*)
3. Complete 2 first drafts of full-length novels (I still have a NaNo that's halfway done, and I hope to get another full novel out after)
4. Revise and polish 1 novel until query-ready
5. QUERY *double gulp*

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, DuchessCummerbund, and welcome to W1S1! It's great to have you here. :welcome:

Sounds like you have a full year of writing ahead. w00t!

DuchessCummerbund

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Izz!

Sounds like you have a full year of writing ahead

Yeah, my stomach may have turned a little when I looked at it again, but it's the truest goals I've ever made.

Go big or go home right? Heh..

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
W1S1 has been such a huge motivation for me over the past year and a half that I plan to continue my current goal of one new story a month written and subbed, plus any forward momentum on the slooowly progressing novel as a bonus.

If I was to be wildly optimistic, I would set a goal to kick-ass on the novel for the next three months and finish a first draft by April, in time for the WotF workshop.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
W1S1 has been such a huge motivation for me over the past year and a half that I plan to continue my current goal of one new story a month written and subbed, plus any forward momentum on the slooowly progressing novel as a bonus.

If I was to be wildly optimistic, I would set a goal to kick-ass on the novel for the next three months and finish a first draft by April, in time for the WotF workshop.
:) Great to see you're keeping on keeping on, Eliza! :hooray:

Frist rejection today, for my first story written for 2014...
You're getting a real head start, aren't ya? :D

Here are some threads within the W1S1 room you (and other newcomers) might be interested in:

Rejectomancy -- where we post about our rejections

Braggage -- where we post about our sales

The Short Fiction Check-in Lounge and Bar -- where we can post general updates about how we're doing, and generally hang out

The Novel Challenge Hub -- a place for those doing the novel component of the challenge to hang out

There are plenty of other interesting threads here in the room too (for market news, beta reader requests, etc), so be sure to give them all a good peruse :D

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
:) Great to see you're keeping on keeping on, Eliza! :hooray:

You're getting a real head start, aren't ya? :D

Here are some threads within the W1S1 room you (and other newcomers) might be interested in:

Rejectomancy -- where we post about our rejections

Braggage -- where we post about our sales

The Short Fiction Check-in Lounge and Bar -- where we can post general updates about how we're doing, and generally hang out

The Novel Challenge Hub -- a place for those doing the novel component of the challenge to hang out

There are plenty of other interesting threads here in the room too (for market news, beta reader requests, etc), so be sure to give them all a good peruse :D

Just got my piece accepted that I wrote for first month of 2014. :) It's going to be published in a bigger literary magazine in January!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I've been thinking hard about my 2014 goals. I think my plan is to keep them short and simple:
1. Take part in the monthly W1S1 challenge.
2. Take part in CampNaNoWriMo (basically NaNo in July).

We'll see about other stuff, like normal NaNo. Good luck in 2014 everyone!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've been thinking hard about my 2014 goals. I think my plan is to keep them short and simple:
1. Take part in the monthly W1S1 challenge.
2. Take part in CampNaNoWriMo (basically NaNo in July).

We'll see about other stuff, like normal NaNo. Good luck in 2014 everyone!
Hooray, Sai! Great to see you're keeping on keeping on *does the W1S1 dance of wahooeyness*

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

I've actually posted some here in Write 1\Sub 1, but oddly, I wasn't officially participating, just writing on a consistent basis. (So maybe I was.) This year, I feel like I've laid the ground work by improving my prose, getting rejected, getting published (see my signature), and gaining an understanding of the industry. And, I discovered AW!:D

I'm keeping the goals for next year simple:

1. Find Readers

By this, I obviously mean publish stories, but my main goal is to simply increase the number of people who have read my work by the end of the year. I'm hoping to have at lest 2-3 new stories published. I'm also looking into other opportunities (perhaps blogs or nonfiction) and considering adapting one of my current stories as a serial for JukePop. To accomplish these goals, I aim to write\submit a total of a dozen polished stories next year, as a minimum. I'm really aiming for quality over quantity.

2. Complete my Query Letter

My current query has been undergoing a few weeks of revision and self-editing (read: arguing with myself) as I get it ready for another round of QLH. I don't know if anyone here has experience in QLH, but for the uninitiated, it's a scary place where unicorns and rainbows go to die. :) (I kid... mostly.)

3. Revise my Novel

My novel has been "finished" for a few months now. Note the air quotes there. I'm thinking of making some tweaks for commercial reasons, and of course, I need to tighten up the prose to my new standards. (Once you start writing 2,000 word short stories, everything over 10,000 seems epic, so I'm betting I'll be able to trim it down even more.)

4. Write a Novella or Novelette

I've never written something of that length before, so the experience could allow me to explore some of my more complicated story ideas.

5. Consider Drafting an MG Novel

This would be for the later stages of 2014, but I like the idea of writing a novel for younger readers. The shorter length also makes it less daunting.

Finally, I want to help others in SYW improve as writers and get their queries ready. And, of course, take over the short story world with the rest of the AW Write 1\Sub 1 Team! :D

Good luck with 2014, everyone.

Last edited:

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
In January I plan to submit two of my stories all over to find them a home! (Immediately in 2014, I will submit them all over the place :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
And, of course, take over the short story world with the rest of the AW Write 1\Sub 1 Team! :D

Good luck with 2014, everyone.
That's a nice set of goals, Brandon! It's great to have you officially on the team :)

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Make sure you don't use all your excitement up at once. You'll need it to last you all year.

Kievah

Finally on the write path!
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve only been at it since November 1st, but my goal is to write every single day. My initial goal was pretty close to a short fiction piece a week. But the story dictates the length, and my latest one has been stubbornly insisting on becoming a novelette. Been at it three weeks. Closing in on the last scene.

And I like to let my pieces sit a few weeks before I rewrite and tinker.

My goals in short:

1. Write, every day, no excuses.
2. Rewrite manuscripts and edit for publication, after they’ve had the time to sit (new to this, so I’m still figuring out how long this takes.. making it a case by case basis).
3. Submit a piece every time it’s ready.
4. Resubmit to another market each time it’s rejected (not a pessimist, but I know what to expect, have a handful of form rejects from my last shot, nearly ten years ago now)

I’m in for 2014! Pretty much, I regard it as the year I actively ask the question, "do I have it in me to be published by a professional market?"

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I’ve only been at it since November 1st, but my goal is to write every single day. My initial goal was pretty close to a short fiction piece a week. But the story dictates the length, and my latest one has been stubbornly insisting on becoming a novelette. Been at it three weeks. Closing in on the last scene.

And I like to let my pieces sit a few weeks before I rewrite and tinker.

My goals in short:

1. Write, every day, no excuses.
2. Rewrite manuscripts and edit for publication, after they’ve had the time to sit (new to this, so I’m still figuring out how long this takes.. making it a case by case basis).
3. Submit a piece every time it’s ready.
4. Resubmit to another market each time it’s rejected (not a pessimist, but I know what to expect, have a handful of form rejects from my last shot, nearly ten years ago now)

I’m in for 2014! Pretty much, I regard it as the year I actively ask the question, "do I have it in me to be published by a professional market?"
All right! *does the W1S1 jig* Welcome to W1S1, Kievah!

And yep, you'll get more rejections than sales. That's the way the game works. But if you keep the story out there you have a far better chance of selling it than someone who gives up after one or two rejections.

Kaitlin Brianna

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, AW newbie reporting. I want to try this :)

In 2014 I plan to:

1. W1S1 every two months. Hopefully more, but I'm going to be conservative about my goal for now.
2. Write a draft of a novel I want to query. I think the one I'm writing now will be a trunk novel... So whether it's a rewrite of that one, or the next attempt I make or the one after that, I want to end 2014 with at least a first draft I'm happy about.

I'm completely new to all of this. Not writing, but trying to get stories or novels published. Although I was into playwriting quite a few years ago and had some (very very minor) success entering contests and such. Looking forward to learning the ropes for fiction.