Third C.C. Finlay F&SF sub period open

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Nevermind! Answered my own question. (I asked about the deadline.)

I think I'll submit. The contest I'm submitting to is open until last day of March and I should know by then whether or not this one flies.

Good luck all! off to look at manuscript formatting guidelines.

Speaking of formatting guidelines, they say:

Stories should be attached as .doc or .rtf file. For a good article on standard manuscript preparation, see: www.sfwa.org/2008/11/manuscript-preparation/.

It doesn't actually say, "You MUST use standard manuscript preparation," but I imagine this is what they want. Anyone ever submitted in plain ole Times New Roman, double-spaced? With Italics?

Last edited:

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Crasters: Some places ask for Times New Roman or other serif fonts, e.g., Buzzy Magazine and Crossed Genres. A lot of places ask for proper italics instead of underlining (I try to avoid the problem by not having either). I've not yet seen a submission guideline asking for single-spaced text, though.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Aggy. The whole Courier stuff makes me want to stick pokey things into my head. If you've done it, I imagine it's okay. I'll stick to the margins and cover letter and such, but am happy to keep TNR and italics. The underlining seems to YELL at me instead of offer subtle emhpasis. Especially given that I have some "spirit" type dialogue in italics and don't want to make it look like this person is saying something kind of loud. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Got my rejection today. A better class of rejection but still a rejection.

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
Polished up a story I've been holding on to for awhile, waiting for a good place to send it. I joined the queue at 370.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I was 361 a few days ago. Now I'm at 290. He's getting through these quickly. Probably has a system for eliminating stuff at a rapid rate.

Anyone else hear any news yet?

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
This just in: CC Finlay is taking over as the permanent editor of F&SF. News here.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Finlay confirmed on twitter that F&SF will now be taking electronic submissions regularly, so if you're not ready by the January 15 deadline, no rush--the form will remain open after the deadline.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love it if one of us made it! I made one of the last cuts during his first submission period. An utter heartbreaker. Totally missed the second one! 82 at the moment...

PS AWESOME about CC!! Although this does mean he may slow down his responses.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I had a suspicion this was coming. Which is excellent because I have a story I just finished specifically to send to Finlay.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Good timing! I think the deadline is tomorrow.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I knew the submission period was coming up..."sometime"...but then almost missed it. Then I saw Finlay mention it on Twitter and snapped to.

(then I've only just learned from this thread that he's taking over as editor, which seems pretty awesome!)

Number 308 right now, holy smokes o.o

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's been hovering at 400 for two days, so he must be taking a break. Well-deserved considering the pace that it seemed to be moving before I subbed.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Mine's been hovering at 400 for two days, so he must be taking a break. Well-deserved considering the pace that it seemed to be moving before I subbed.

He was reading somebody's book (Harry Connolly's THE WAY INTO CHAOS, because I double checked to accurately post this post). That's why I noticed the sub period had opened, on Twitter he was like "If anybody noticed the queue seemed to stop for awhile, you can blame so-and-so for their book" (paraphrased).