Film challenge this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose42

Not sure if anyone has heard of, or is interested in, the Film Challenge that is going on this weekend, but I have foolishly decided to participate.

By Monday, Oct. 4, our "crew" must write, shoot, direct, produce, and edit an 8 minute feature. The genre will be supplied tonight at 7:00. No work can be started until then (though I've heard crews have already begun writing - dang them!)

So - I guess I'm asking for any help, suggestions, tips, and things not to do to come up with an 8 minute shooting script that can be done fairly easily. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

dpaterso

There's a fine line between bravery and insanity, watch you don't cross it. I offer some humble suggestions:

Try to cut down on SFX/CGI/animation sequences, these can be time-consuming. Although you can always come back 25+ years later and "improve" them.

Do a silent movie, save time and effort by doing away with sound recording and editing!

Use sock puppets instead of actors, they always show up on set when you do, and never fluff their lines (especially if you wash them at the right temperature with a fabric softener).

Good luck!

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Goose42

Yeah I think I can safely say we won't be tackling any CGI or complicated computer effects. There simply isn't time.

As for the silent movie - last year that was actually a genre - and I think you're right, the sound is going to be one of the tougher things to complete.

Some of the other rules of the weekend - we will also get a character, a prop and a line of dialog that must be in the feature or you will be disqualified. I guess it helps a little to detract from crews starting the creative process early. Though I saw some of last year's entries, and many things felt forced in. We want to stay as far away from that as possible.

maestrowork

Improv would be a good way to go, if you have the right actors.

Status
Not open for further replies.