Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! It's a wonderful feeling :D

RRK, Congrats! It's a great feeling, isn't it? And I see in your location you're in"The city that never sleeps." I know where you are. :D Thems be my stompin' grounds. I'm out on the the island and we are getting HAMMERED with snow. I think we are getting 12-18 inches, but it will be cool to see what the drifts measure ;)

It's been ugly all day for me but we've only got about four inches so far! I'm hoping for a foot when I wake up ;) Stay warm!

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on reaching the finish line RKK!

In unrelated news, I'm rediscovering the awesomeness of the f.lux program. Basically, computer screens are normally meant to mimic daylight with their brightness. But the internal clock doesn't recognize the difference between it and the actual sun. So it screws up when staring at a screen for extended periods of time, which is all the time when writing. F.lux knows when sunset is and adjusts the screen to more halogen tones, meaning I'm not being blinded by my screen's pure whiteness anymore at night. I'd recommend it to everyone just to give it a try, it's a really lightweight program.

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
That's where it's from. Don't worry, it's a legitimate download.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
In unrelated news, I'm rediscovering the awesomeness of the f.lux program. ....

I just keep my screen on the lowest light level possible, unless it's mid-day. Then I have to have it up to 4 dots to see the text properly with the light around me.

:)

Freyja

Registered
Reaction score
My YA series. Should it come out under an "umbrella title?" The first is called "Tex, The Witch Boy." The next two are tentatively titled, "Tex And The Gangs Of Suburbia" and "Tex And The God Squad."

For brand marketing purposes, should I call 'em, "Tex, The Witch Boy 2: The Gangs Of Suburbia" and "Tex, The Witch Boy 3: The God Squad?"

Or are those titles just too long-ass? I'd seriously like to get your input, folks.

Like the first option better!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I bought epic sationary supplies today in case I decide to go old school with CampWriMo prep. :D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Sending the 3 chapters to Random House today -- been nitpicking for the last few days, trying to make it perfect, finally giving up :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I might do an epic mind map, but it's been a long time since I did them old school...

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Oh, look. My screen has warmer tones now that the sun has gone down. That flux thing works!

Wrote 1K this morning. Hoping the family will allow me a couple hours writing time tomorrow so I can keep on schedule to meeting my deadline.

Hope you've all had productive days.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Read all of aPB today except the beginning, which I read a while ago. But now I'm totally ready to revise.

Okay, no, not really, but if I were to go to my fave cafe all day tomorrow and work on revising, I would feel more prepared to do it. Especially since I got 60% through the book and couldn't remember what else happened until the climax at first. But then it all came back to me and there's fairly decent pacing after that point. It's the first half I have to worry about. As usual.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you have to take hiatus, JB.

This f.lux thing is pretty cool. It is like looking at my computer through rose colored glasses. Thanks for the suggestion!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Parump! Good luck with those three chapters to RH. Gah! I'm feeling your tension. I queried a book to their suspense imprint, ready to toss another one to their horror section. Hope you go farther (further?) then I did!

Bish! Aw, don't be a stranger and I'm sorry you have personal crap going on.

Dorothy! Happy 1K! Hey, does this "flux" thing really work? I'm really, sadly, pathetically, sociopathically weather-influenced. If the sun ain't out, I can't write. Or do anything. Scary, yeah?

LisaLu! Do character maps really work? I've never tried one, but the next book I wanna' tackle's kinda' complicated, so I'm considering a different approach rather than pantsing. I dunno, "over-alling?"

Sage! Keep caffeining and writing!

Kewii! Hope things are going the only way they should with the ridiculous court crap!

Me! Time to go watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre part the fourth (sorta' a Shakespearean touch to it).

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Parump! Good luck with those three chapters to RH. Gah! I'm feeling your tension. I queried a book to their suspense imprint, ready to toss another one to their horror section. Hope you go farther (further?) then I did!.

They only requested a partial. You got asked for a Full ;)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Lol - thanks. We'll see what they say in a month or two. :Hug2:

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't know if there's a connection, but the day I downloaded the flux program is the same day my email was hacked.

I don't remember clicking any other link yesterday that would have made me susceptible. You never know, it might have just been a random hacking, but I thought I'd give you guys a heads up. Othewise, I love the hue change.

Robert L.B.

Tao of Wonka
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on your password, it may have just been brute-forced. Pretty much any password that is a real word, even with numbers, is about as sturdy as a Styrofoam door.

F.lux isn't the cause though, so keep enjoying the hue change without worry. Generally if a program does do something like that it does not limit itself to a couple random people. With how many people use (and sometimes modify the code of) f.lux, tech-savvy and non, someone would have found such a thing in the program long ago if it were there.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Depending on your password, it may have just been brute-forced. Pretty much any password that is a real word, even with numbers, is about as sturdy as a Styrofoam door.

F.lux isn't the cause though, so keep enjoying the hue change without worry. Generally if a program does do something like that it does not limit itself to a couple random people. With how many people use (and sometimes modify the code of) f.lux, tech-savvy and non, someone would have found such a thing in the program long ago if it were there.

That's comforting, thanks. Now I can continue to enjoy it.

Freyja

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Sunday everyone!
parumpdragon - good luck the chapters. Crossing my fingers!
lisalulu09 - I love maps and plotting by hand! Consume a ridiculous amount of notebooks.
Sage, you mentioned a fave cafe. Just out of curiosity, where do you guys usually write? At home or elsewhere? I've tried cafe and library, but best place is always at home (in comfy clothes, with big cup of tea :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.