The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Hallowe'en and blessed Samhain, my lovelies!

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Hiya, Heather. How's your day going?

We are treating today as if it were Friday, having our fresh fish and some wine and probably watching NetFlix. Tomorrow night we have a thing to go to and it won't seem like Friday. I wish now we hadn't committed, since we've been out way, way more than I like to be in recent weeks.

Maryn, total homebody

Not bad. Just busy. It's Trunk or Treat night at church, and I volunteered but my car is still in the shop, so I'm going to use a church van. Fun. I'm wearing my TARDIS dress and ready to go.

Tomorrow, Nano begins. I've been plotting and doing character work.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone. I'm kind of blue, putting away the skeletons and pumpkins and spiders, which nobody admired but me. Makes me miss The Kid. I'm glad, of course, that's she's found friends far away and is happily living her life without leaning on her mommy, but the nest feels particularly empty today.

Meh, I'll get over it. There are people with real problems, so I should stop whining.

It's nasty here, steady rain and a temperature barely in the 40s. Perhaps tonight we have a fire, yes?

Maryn, who loves them

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Morning, all. Were tearing everything down here today too. Except the outside stuff. The Lily does not slog through garden mud in 40-degree rain. Nuh-uh.

Giant birthday bash tomorrow, so All The Cleaning and Cooking occur today as well.

And because I have nothing on my plate, College Boy and I are heading to Spirit Halloween in a few to grab some half-price outdoor decorations.

Pulled pork is in the slow-cooker, so at least supper is pretty much taken care of.

We had 9 trick-or-treaters yesterday. :( The weather killed the holiday. Also, I have proof that I'm too old and cranky to every work retail again. Why, you ask? Because I walked into the grocery store and everything was CHRISTMAS. :rant: I'd take a baseball bat to the stuff.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I went to Halloween karaoke last night. It happened at a private club with a very fun, inclusive, unpretentious crowd, all in costume; I got a huge kick out of watching them sing '80s hits while I guzzled cheap drinks.

I didn't wear a costume or sing. My inadequate defense: I've been too busy for too long to prepare anything.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My first-ever Texas Sheet Cake is cooling on the counter. The sides of my pan weren't high enough and some of the frosting dripped out. :( Hopefully it'll taste good.

College Boy asked for lasagna for his birthday and left the cake up to me.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
My first-ever Texas Sheet Cake is cooling on the counter. The sides of my pan weren't high enough and some of the frosting dripped out. :( Hopefully it'll taste good.

I learned a harsh lesson recently about why we leave cakes to completely cool before putting butter icing in the middle. The icing melted and the two halves of the cake started sliding around while I was cutting it. *facepalm* It recovered after I put it in the fridge for a day, but that's going on my kitchen disasters list alongside the time I forgot to put the sugar in my scones.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The pulled pork came out well. I. am. so. tired. Laundry and housecleaning and cake and sauce are all finished. Well, the kitchen floor didn't get mopped, but you can't have everything.

I quit for the night. I'm not going to even try to open Second to Nun. My brain is the consistency of melting Jello. Movies for me.

Also, it's snowing. *waves farewell to sunshine and temps above 40 for the next 7 months*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No snow here. But yesterday's blowing rain got our firewood wet, so no fire for us last night. Mr. Maryn has co-opted the spot where I used to stash two fires' worth in the garage, so we'd always have some dry.

We're doing the theatre tonight, a drama titled "Good People." We tried to see it last year on Broadway with Frances McDormand, but could only get one ticket. ("You wait outside, honey, and I'll tell you all about it.")

Maryn, who will dress up because she likes to

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' folk!

I got nuthin'.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I looooove Texas sheet cake. So easy yet decadent. I make the Joy of Cooking recipe. That reminds me to make one after I do my seasonal Kabocha squash (not pumpkin!) bread.

Today is the day I send off my contract, if I can find one of those self-service mail machines. I'm almost done with a readable 50 pages of what might be the new book, but I'm frustrated by the practical difficulty of getting time off to write.

Oh, and my sister sent me the NYT article on writers with recent ginormous advances. *sigh* I know I have nothing to complain about. Not even close. And if I got a seven-figure windfall, I wouldn't have much to spend it on anyway. (OK, except maybe a house. A house by the lake. A big house by the lake.)

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well of course the houses by the lake will be big. How else can you host us at one time at a writers' retreat?

My ignorance once again shows. What is a Texas sheet cake? I lived in Texas for six years and picked up y'all (which sounded ridiculous without the accent to go with), but never heard of this cake.

Maryn, who liked Austin and South Padre Island

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
You're all welcome at my lakeside writers' retreat complete with tiki lounge when I become a millionaire. :D

My entire experience of Texas is driving across the Panhandle one time. Maybe they call the cake that because it's "as big as Texas"? My version is just a chocolate sheet cake with sour cream for a tang. I like to put fresh coffee in the icing, mmm.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Hi, everyone!

So, I actually wrote yesterday. A little over 1k in an hour and a half. I was stupidly proud of myself, given how I haven't actually written anything new in at least a year or so. I'm probably not going to make Nanowrimo, especially considering how much I've going on this week, but this is a good start and it feels good to just write without thinking too much about it. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dys, lots of people don't do NaNo, so that's fine. The fact that you wrote after such a long time is excellent and merits feeling good about yourself.

Writing during November is never going to work for a lot of us. It's a busy month and yeah, a guy chose it. I bet he didn't clean the house, prepare the feast, get out the good china and crystal, polish Grandma's silver, make up the guest beds, and start the Christmas shopping every November. It takes me a couple of weeks of effort to be truly ready.

I'm half-way through the format and minor content changes of the accepted novel. There wasn't much revising to be done, but now I'm worried i won't catch one of the chapter re-numberings that's required.

Maryn, stopped at page 209

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*waves*

Parental visit successful. Lasagna consumed. Cake consumed and approved. Parents are one their way home. Mr Lily is driving College Boy back. CB is armed with cake, bread, and one half moon. I just realized we left his extra lasagna in the fridge. D'oh! Mr. Lily is headed to RIT on Saturday to ref the college club rugby finals, so he can deliver it.

Teacher Boy is working at his PT job, which means... I have the house to myself.

Ahh.

ETA: This is the recipe I used for the cake.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Duly copied. Sounds good--and I like the recipe writer's voice.

Mr. Maryn is sick. Not stay-in-bed-while-Maryn-worries sick, but clogged-nose-drop-Kleenex-to-floor-annoy-Maryn sick.

Since he's a model of good health nearly all the time, I shall try not to be as irritated as he's making me on such a rare occasion.

Maryn, who got up really early, silly time change!

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Hope Mr. Maryn feels better soon!

I'm not doing Nano, either — never have. November is a good writing month for me, but I have my own pacing and don't want to be rushed. (I start out slow, revising the opening and getting to know the characters for a few months, then rush through the climax to the end in a state of pure caffeine-driven madness. Six months is the fastest I've ever produced a complete novel draft ready for betas.)

But I admire everyone who does Nano — watching them work (virtually) inspires me.

Also, I'm waiting on an edit letter. *shivers with mixed hope and trepidation*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here you go, Lily.

"Good evening, miss. Ma'am." The officer was young and acned.

"Hi. The EMTs are saying he'll be okay." She paused. "But they're not doctors, are they?"

"I wouldn't know about that, ma'am." He retrieved a small notebook from his pocket, then fished for the stubby pencil which looked as if he'd stolen it from a miniature golf range. "In your own words, can you tell us what happened?"

"Who's 'us,' officer? Your partner there seems to have disappeared."

"You don't want to be playing games with me, ma'am. I've got the handcuffs."

"And I've got the civil rights."

Maryn, glad to help

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
*wave*

Doing major mood swings lately. Ranging from "OMG, I'm gonna sell a book for eleventy bazillion dollars!" to "no one wants to read my stuff again, ever".

*sigh*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*wave*

Doing major mood swings lately. Ranging from "OMG, I'm gonna sell a book for eleventy bazillion dollars!" to "no one wants to read my stuff again, ever".

*sigh*
Proof you're a writer, ma'am.

I'm reading a book by an AWer and feeling like I shouldn't even bother trying to write, since I'll never be as good. This one tosses away brilliant little phrases every few pages.

Maryn, sighing

Status
Not open for further replies.