G'Day

SirTysonius

Registered
Reaction score
I've found recently that nothing beats a bulmer's pear cider. When I want something crisp and just a little sweet, I go there everytime. Just don't try and skull a pint of it. It's possible, but not a smart thing to do.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
1 week until Christmas!

Is everyone getting excited yet? I can tell you - working in retail over the Christmas period is kind of draining. So many rude customers.

But I'll have the 25th and 26th off work, so I can relax and enjoy the gift giving. That's really all Christmas means to me... We haven't even put up the tree yet. :tongue

I do love giving and receiving gifts though. :) Probably because I love shopping, so finding someone something they'll like is mildly euphoric for me. And who doesn't like receiving gifts? :D

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Flinders University in South Australia. :)

As for teaching... Well, I'm open to teaching Uni students, but most certainly not Primary or High School students!!!

Teenagers hate me, without fail, for some reason, and I don't like young children, especially spoiled kids who like to throw tantrums.

But Uni students... Well, they're there by their own choice. They're a bit more mature. It should result in fewer confrontations and less drama overall.

congrats on getting into flinders - my advice is to work on your physical fitness. I used to have to hike across campus, and the shortest route to class was up and down a hill, and they only gave you a few minutes to get to class.

Oh and Happy New Year everyone!:partyguy:

Been completely slack lately. Struggling with energy levels, trying to fit everything in and keep Master 3 entertained. Plus trying to deal with the whole "if my books don't take off, then I'm going back to work and then I simply won't have time to write" thing. ERK!:cry:

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys.
I'm from WA (near Fremantle).
I've been a bit of a lurker here, but thought it was about time I introduced myself.
I'm on sub with my agent and we're not hearing any good news yet (after quite a few months) so... argh... I've lost my writing mojo. It's definitely related to the publisher rejections.
Anway, kids are back at school now so I'm going to try and get stuck into it again.
Hope my first post here is not too moany ;)

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
JBuck - welcome. Keep your spirits up. Just remember all those other writers who made it big, and how many times they were rejected.

Freo is an awesome place :-D

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
JBuck - welcome. Keep your spirits up. Just remember all those other writers who made it big, and how many times they were rejected.

Freo is an awesome place :-D

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, Tarkine, and for the welcome. :)
And yeah, Freo is a pretty cool place. :Sun:

Rooke

No compromises, except...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from the Central coast, I trust everyone is enjoying a hot Aussie summer!

It's good to see Australian writers getting their stuff out there, I'm hoping to join the ranks, or attempt to at least.

@JBuck - you haven't gone down the ebook route: Amazon, Smashwords, ...?

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from the Central coast, I trust everyone is enjoying a hot Aussie summer!
:Sun:
We had our longest heatwave in (I think) ten years! Reminded me of when I was a kid - my siblings and I used to fight over who got to lay on the cool bath tiles!

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself to the other aussies here (there are a lot of us!).

I'm from Sydney. New to these forums and really enjoying it so far.

I write shorts mostly and have signed up to the W1/Sub 1 challenge (check it out if you haven't!)

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
I've been waiting for summer, but then I used to live in Adelaide and unless there is a few days of 40+, I feel a bit jipped.

Mind you now I live near the ACT and I'm going to cry when summer goes. I'm not a fan of the 40's but I'm a hater of the minuses of winter here.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
How did you go over Christmas? I gave up 5 years ago and now realise I should have done it 60 years ago! Keep at it - it's well worth it.
Cheers
Mumut

Over Christmas, grandad convinced me to have some red wine. I folded, because it was the bottle I'd bought him for his birthday in September, when I still drank, and he had been waiting till Christmas to open it and share it with me.

But I found some middle ground - I had only a tiny amount, just to taste it.

However, when I went to visit dad earlier this month, I fell off the wagon a few times. Basically, every time I've gone up to dad's place in the Riverland (ie. for the past 5 or 6 years) it's been a nonstop drinkfest.

This time, I made it through the first night, and right up till lunchtime on day 2. Then we went to a club to play some pool, and dad ordered a beer, and I caved and had one too. Surprisingly, it took me so long to drink it. We had 5 games of pool, and I still hadn't finished it after that. :)

That night, with booze still somewhat in my system, I had a glass of wine with dinner. That lasted about 3 hours.

Made it through the rest of the 5 days with only 1 more slip - night 4, I had some more wine, because dad wanted to kill the bottle.

Even so... 3 drinks in 5 days isn't that bad, considering it would've been 3 drinks in 2 hours if I hadn't quit.

:)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
That is really good going. Well done, Cliff. When my wife tells me it's a really good drop (she has about 6 glasses of wine a year so we can afford to buy her more expensive brands) I can touch it with my tongue. When I do, it really hits the taste buds but even that small drop sends messages to the brain that it wants to take over. That reinforces my resolve not to go back there.

So, you're doing well. Stick to it.

Cheers
Mumut

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I figure, one or two drinks per season isn't so bad. But I definitely get that urge to keep on drinking once I've had one.

I think I can reach a point with alcohol where I just have one here or there, and not have it be such a big deal.

It's like what my stepmum does with cigarettes. She can make a pack last for months. If I could do that with cigarettes, I'd be very happy. But I think I can do that with booze.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
It's like what my stepmum does with cigarettes. She can make a pack last for months. If I could do that with cigarettes, I'd be very happy
I gave up smoking in 1971 when the cost of 20 Benson and Hedges went from 30c per pack to 33c per pack. I couldn't afford a 10% increase in my 40 per day habit and didn't believe anyone could afford to pay 33c for a packet - so I gave up. A few months later my parents visited me in Papua New Guinea and I smoked a few Senior Service cigarets with them but I haven't had one since. So I wish you good luck giving up. It's an amazingly good feeling to be free of these adictions, no matter how innocent it seems when you're hooked.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Smoking is my last big addiction, not counting caffeine.

But then, I smoke more than I drink coffee or Red Bull or whatever... 20 cigarettes a day vs. 2 or 3 coffees and maybe something else per day.

I did manage to quit smoking once, which lasted about 6 months. Then I dated a smoker, and took it up again... It's been nearly 8 years since that point. 7.5 years at least...

Although if I were paying 33c per packet, I'd be a lot richer. :tongue I know, I know, different age and all that. But it still boggles my mind to think that 33c was once a lot of money.

I'm paying $19.95 for a pack of 40. That lasts me 2 days, so about $9.98 per day. Yeah, that's a lot of money right now, especially as I'm no longer working.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Gosh, Cliff, where on earth do you live? A pack of 40 Longbeach cost $22.50 from a supermarket here, and up to $27 if you go to a convience store.

I need to stop smoking. That amount of money does sound ludicrous, especially as my husband and I both smoke.