G'Day

Racey

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah Cliff, I feel you. I had an exam last week and I was strangely calm. And I was worried because I was calm. It's a vicious cycle. Anyway it turned out okay, I walked out feeling happy with it so I'm sure you'll do the same.

Exams. Argh. I'm kind of regretting going back to uni now to study again :cry:

Ooh, now I'm jealous. :D I travelled to Europe for the first time last year but didn't make it across to the UK. I'd love to see London one day. (Come to think of it, preferably a day in summer.)

London is my most favourite place on Earth. If you do get a chance to go Skye, definitely jump at it! (July is the best time, weather-wise hehe)

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Hi everyone! Sorry about my long delay in posting; it's been a crazy month.

Cliff & Racey -- Hope you were happy with your uni results. :)

London is my most favourite place on Earth. If you do get a chance to go Skye, definitely jump at it! (July is the best time, weather-wise hehe)
I was on the verge of going this September (actually was about to buy flights yesterday!!!) but then I received news about other obligations which will render it difficult to leave the country for long. On the bright side, the email bearing the news had good timing. Would have been bad if I'd bought my tickets ten minutes earlier. :D

Since a long trip is out, I'd like to get away for ten days or so... hmm... Can anyone recommend a destination for a short solo trip? (I went to NZ last year & loved it, but would like to try somewhere new. Shame it takes so long to fly anywhere!)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was happy with my grades. 2 distinctions, 2 credits. No fails! Woo! :tongue

A 10-day holiday, huh? What about somewhere like Japan? It's not as far to travel as the UK/US regions, but would still be an interesting place to go to.

Or else you could visit 2 cities in Australia you've never been to before? Like, 5 days each, and just wonder around seeing what's what in those cities.

Those are really the only ideas I have...

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Congrats on your results, Cliff! (Yay for distinctions!) :)

I'm quite tempted by the Australian city notion -- thanks for the idea! I've never been to the NT, so perhaps I'll head up to Darwin to escape the winter chill.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

And yeah - I think if I ever have the money to travel, I'll start with a tour round Australia. Just city after city for about a month. Because, like, if something goes wrong, at least I'm close to home (or close enough that a family member could be there in less than a day by plane).

I've never travelled alone, so yeah - I have worries that travelling in Australia would allay. :)

Racey

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aussie peeps! Just a quick HELLO to you all. This thread used to be super active but we haven't spoken in a while! I hope life is treating you all very well. :hi:

I'm off to work now *cries*

Racey

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since a long trip is out, I'd like to get away for ten days or so... hmm... Can anyone recommend a destination for a short solo trip? (I went to NZ last year & loved it, but would like to try somewhere new. Shame it takes so long to fly anywhere!)

Have you decided yet Skye? I think Asia would be great, but I've never been so don't have any recommendations. I would love to go to Alice Springs and see Ayres Rock, that's definitely on my bucket list.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm keeping well enough. :)

Back at Uni, nose to the grindstone. Actually, my first graded assignment is due tomorrow, and I just printed it out about 40 minutes ago. Eek! But it's for a class taught by a professor I've had before, and he's a really easy grader. So I'm not too worried. And, hey, I mostly understood the material, so it should be fine. :)

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I've only been to Perth once, a few years back now, and I loved it. Would have moved their to live, but couldn't bear to leave my family behind.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard really nice things about Perth. :)

What I'm hoping is that, if we're there for 4+ days, that on at least one of those days I can head off with sis and her boyfriend and just walk around the city to see what's what.

Because, like, it'll be us 3, plus mum and nanna and grandad. Nanna has a walker, and can't walk very far, and grandad has the beginnings of dementia, so he'd easily get lost if he slipped out of view (which he would - he's always tried to be independent). So I figure, mum could deal with them that day, possibly in a hire-car, and do something in a single location - and us young'uns could head out and do whatever comes to mind.

Because to me, that's the most appealing part about travelling. Not seeing famous landmarks or attractions. No, I want to immerse myself in the day-to-day life of the city. "What's down that street?" "Let's check it out." "Ah, a bookstore, I'll head in there."

That sort of thing. :)

Racey

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad everyone is doing well!

Good going with the results Cliff! They just released my results the other day due to a university staff strike and I am pleased with mine! Two High Distinctions and two Distinctions. I think my marks are going to go down this semester though, because I'm working my butt off and studying my Masters and it's all getting a bit much right now :cry:

Racey - to work on a glorious Sunday afternoon? Too cruel :(

Ha ha YES the fun of working in hospitality :Headbang:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I just voted. Yay!

Just thought I'd revive the thread today, considering there's bound to be plenty of opinions once we have some election results.

I'm a little hesitant about this election... My local candidate who I voted for will probably get re-elected (she did great last time), but I think the other party will win more seats overall, leading to a prime minister I don't want.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm. I suppose it's not over till it's over.

Will they be announcing it tonight? I thought I saw a newscaster the other day saying they'd have a constant coverage on Sunday. ??

In any event, I won't be turning the TV on now. I'm dead tired and need to sleep. I've been up since 4.30am, spending most of the day doing homework.

When people know who won, could you mention it in here? I'm pretty terrible at keeping up with the news, but I check AW every morning and evening.

Aussierotica

Smut Pedlar
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xavieredwards.com
So, for Cliff's benefit:

The Coalition has claimed the election (quite a large number of seats in the House of Reps). The biggest thing I have seen is the huge swing towards the independents and smaller parties. The small swing toward the coalition was enough to get them to win, but it was the ALP that really lost out.

The Senate is more of an interesting race, with some seats being only a handful of votes (see ACT seat #2 as an example - close between Liberal and Greens), but it doesn't look like a mandate in both houses (at least at this stage).

I think the independents and minor parties managed to spoil what was looking like a landslide, but the bloodbath in terms of ALP representation still took place. I really hope that Abbott pays attention to what happened with the minors and moderates his more extreme activities and concerns or else he'll be a one-term PM (if his party allows him to last that long).

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The liberals won? *sigh* That's what I was expecting.

If anyone needs me, I'll be waiting at the local school for the next election. :tongue

But yes, it's very interesting that the minor parties are getting more votes now. :)