W1S1 Short Fiction 2012--Sign Up Here!

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
I knew I said I was going to do write 1 weekly, but I have decided to go down to write 1 monthly, as I have a completely insane writing goal I want to work towards next year.

Which will become apparent when i change my signature in January ;)

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
I knew I said I was going to do write 1 weekly, but I have decided to go down to write 1 monthly, as I have a completely insane writing goal I want to work towards next year.

what no hints?

i live insane writing goals. :evil

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca

*makes a note to check your sig in January*

I also love insane writing goals :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm doing the novel challenge too so I think I'm going for 1 a month. :)
Awesome, alessa! :hooray:

I also love insane writing goals :)
Me, too. Seems whenever i set myself a goal that's achievable, i have to add a whole lot of other stuff to it to make it as impossible as possible.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
woohoo! :welcome: to the W1S1 Short Fiction Challenge, JHakka. It's great to have you :)

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear. It's very tempting to join.

I'm not sure if my English is good enough yet for there to be any point in submiting my stories anywhere, and the market where I live is very limited.

Hm...maybe I'll try it anyway..

*thinking hard*

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm not sure if my English is good enough yet for there to be any point in submiting my stories anywhere, and the market where I live is very limited.

*thinking hard*

Welcome, Archebird.

For several of us here English is a second language. Don't let that discourage you.

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
*waves at archer*

Trying never hurts and you might have fun with it :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

*thinking hard*
Go on. Do it :) Think about how much better your English writing will get if you write within the structure of the challenge.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think I've signed up yet. Though, I expect my life to change quite a bit in the next year, so no promises if I can keep up with the challenge, but would like to give it another go -- monthly, of course.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
wohoo, defcon! :hooray: I'm sure you'll find time to write :)

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Count me in for monthly!

I'm hoping it will be the kick in the pants I need, as the butter has been slow to churn lately. I'm even tempted to go for weekly, but I don't think I could make that no matter how many times my pants are kicked. :p

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:hooray:

I'm really excited about this now. Been putting this stuff in the "some day" basket for too long, and this is exactly what I need to kick myself into gear. Also, it's a great excuse to read loads of short fiction anthologies etc which is something I haven't done in a while. Bring it on! :D
That's the spirit! :box::Guitar::Trophy::e2writer:

Count me in for monthly!

I'm hoping it will be the kick in the pants I need, as the butter has been slow to churn lately. I'm even tempted to go for weekly, but I don't think I could make that no matter how many times my pants are kicked. :p
w00t! :e2woo: Welcome along, JT! You could always do a fortnightly version. That's how i tailored the challenge last year, and i found it worked really well for me. :)

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
I think I'm back in for one a month. I've a few things that may or may not need to take precedence over short stories, but I should be able to manage.

Be bold, W1S1ers!

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in. One a month, because I still have a lot of things I need to learn. :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
w00t, Archerbird! :welcome: to the Short Fiction Challenge!

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
We're going full-steam ahead into 2012: Write1Sub1 RELOADED!

Write1Sub1Reloaded.BLUE.small.jpg

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
This is very tempting to join, but I don't know if I can do it. Mostly because I don't know if I can find a publisher who will want my stories. Right now, most of my stories clock in at 2,000 or 3, 000 words, and I know that a lot of publishers want 5,000 words at the very least. I still might consider doing it.

Does anyone know of any publishers that consider stories less than 5,000 words?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
This is very tempting to join, but I don't know if I can do it. Mostly because I don't know if I can find a publisher who will want my stories. Right now, most of my stories clock in at 2,000 or 3, 000 words, and I know that a lot of publishers want 5,000 words at the very least. I still might consider doing it.

Does anyone know of any publishers that consider stories less than 5,000 words?
Hi Silver :hi: Most venues that publish short fiction are willing to publish stories less than 5,000 words. In fact, for many, 5,000 words is the upper limit :)

If you want to see how many venues there are for stories in your genres at the lengths you write, check out Duotrope. You can do a search based on how many words long your story is, and what genre category it falls under, and it'll show you all the venues in its database that accept work that length.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Hi Silver :hi: Most venues that publish short fiction are willing to publish stories less than 5,000 words. In fact, for many, 5,000 words is the upper limit :)

If you want to see how many venues there are for stories in your genres at the lengths you write, check out Duotrope. You can do a search based on how many words long your story is, and what genre category it falls under, and it'll show you all the venues in its database that accept work that length.

:D :Hug2: Thank you so much. I'll definitely check it out. Really? Most of the publishers I looked at wanted 5,000 words minimum. Hm.... Anyway, thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D :Hug2: Thank you so much. I'll definitely check it out. Really? Most of the publishers I looked at wanted 5,000 words minimum. Hm.... Anyway, thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

What genre do you write in? In SF/F virtually all major markets will take stories that are 2-3k long.