Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
At home, I tend to be really distracted. There are books and DVDs and the internet to play with. Or maybe I should do laundry or cook or spend some time with the cats. When I'm at my fave cafe, I am there to work, and it puts me in the right mindset. Some other cafes can do that too, but I get antsy after a while.

Unfortunately, my fave cafe is 45 minutes away from home, so it's a commitment to go. I ended up not going today because there's also a point in the morning where going doesn't make much sense anymore. I'm working from a Panera today, with the intention to really work, though. I have out aPB and a notebook, where I plan to rewrite it. Of course, opening it is important...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In other news, I'm really wondering if I made a mistake taking time off to revise TM. My request ratio was amazing in August, and now it's awful.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have another idea for a side project, which could possibly work for uni as well if I can get away with it. It's a high fantasy or whatever the term is. All I know is that it involves a magic spell book.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,all!

Everything is going well. I have another YA WIP about star crossed lovers that I am really enjoying.

Satan Goes To High School is almost done,but I keep tweaking it. Now I'm sending my novel out to an editor and hope to be ready to go by April w/pubbing it.

Good luck to all the queries,requests and WIPs!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm bored. It's tempting to try and flatten some A3 paper and do a bunch of mind maps now.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Evening everyone! Trying out f.lux now, interesting concept. It'll take some getting used to -- I like having my monitors set to exact, art-friendly colour settings -- but my eyes seem to be adjusting already.

Good luck with those chapters, Parump!

Specialfae

Coffee understands
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still patiently (not really) waiting to hear back on the open submission I entered. Does anyone else have a hard time writing when they wait or submit? I'm still relatively new to the actual 'trying to get published' part and that part seems to constrict me mentally.

I've nearly given up more than once just because the stress and mental time it takes seems to constrict my creative flow. Luckily my 'readers' went a bit postal on me and their threats via phone calls, emails and texts got me going again, ha ha

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Working on more edits for my publisher today - don't think I am gonna get much else done. Lol

Hi, Dragon!

:hi: hi Lisa

Evening everyone! Trying out f.lux now, interesting concept. It'll take some getting used to -- I like having my monitors set to exact, art-friendly colour settings -- but my eyes seem to be adjusting already.

Good luck with those chapters, Parump!

It's 11am - so I chuckled at the good evening. :)

Thanks for the well wishes!

I'm still patiently (not really) waiting to hear back on the open submission I entered. Does anyone else have a hard time writing when they wait or submit? I'm still relatively new to the actual 'trying to get published' part and that part seems to constrict me mentally...

It depends on the sub for me. And what else is going on in RL. :)

Right now, not so much, but it has before. Hang in there ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still patiently (not really) waiting to hear back on the open submission I entered. Does anyone else have a hard time writing when they wait or submit? I'm still relatively new to the actual 'trying to get published' part and that part seems to constrict me mentally.
For me it depends. Right now I'm pretty chill for responses, and I was really surprised when R&RAgent got back to me so soon, even though if I had been thinking about it, it was exactly the amount of time I would have expected based on QT and past experience. But when I'm tracking that stuff (I suggest not tracking that stuff, btw, lol), I can go super crazy if an agent/editor takes much longer than Query Tracker or AW says she should.

Right now there is only one query that I feel should have been answered by now based on other people's experiences. And I don't have any materials out, atm, so that helps me be more chill (in some ways. In others, I'm like, "Why no requests in February, when you all loved the query in August?")

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I just did a quick mini mind map by hand for that idea I mentioned above - made me feel so good. It may be a side project and/or uni piece

Is it just me or is going old school once in a while good for us modern writers?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I was going over the editorial section, and i must say I'm relieved that you should not have to pay for a service. I think my general skeptical nature about editors, stems from the fact that I've had one that actually wanted to make the modifications myself instead of have me do the work.

And the kicker was, he did 32 page crime comics, not dystopia graphic novels and largely did not tolerate graphic novel pacing.<_<

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
It is almost tempting to write a side project on loose leaf paper in a ring binder folder. I have never done this before.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I just don't know when I'm going to fit in this side project. Journeys at uni (one reading; one writing)?

AND I'm hoping to revive Stupid Cupid on Thursday as well as carrying on with Paragon Academy as coursework (though I'll only need to submit 5K of that).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So, whether I make huge sweeping changes or not, I'm going to rewrite aPB in a notebook, with different colored pens for Blake and Lawrence, and then transfer the whole thing to the computer later. This forces me to rewrite the thing twice, so if I'm changing Ren's voice, I have two shots of writing it down before I have a new copy on my computer. This is pretty much what I did to focus on Austin's voice in TM, and it worked really well. Of course, he had like a tenth of the novel, and here I'm doing the whole thing, so we'll see how enthusiastic I am a fourth of the way through it ;)

I feel really good about this decision though, because I feel like it gives me the freedom to add some stuff I might not if I were just using what was already written down. Also, this seems to automatically tighten what I've written, because when I write it again, I always see ways that I can see how to be tighter, even more easily than when I'm crossing stuff out on a printed version.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have fun coloured (pretty cheap) biro pens now. Which I am SO going to use if I do the #magicspellbook novel. YAY FOR FUN COLOURS.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
My email was hacked yesterday too, the same day I downloaded f.lux. It was my junk email. Not sure who is in my contacts list. Inspired me to change my passwords.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I could even do #magicspellbook plotting using card and post it notes!

tumblr_lcifsk94hs1qbgxvl.gif

Yes, I am that excited.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I KNOW RIGHT. Damn I feel old (I was nine when that film had come out).

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Also, the #magicspellbook novel is going to be YA but involve a princess, a prince and a witch in a fantasy land. :D #oldschoolftw

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, where do you guys usually write? At home or elsewhere? I've tried cafe and library, but best place is always at home (in comfy clothes, with big cup of tea :) )

Same, I have to write at home. I either sit at my computer or I sit on my bed, spread out my notes, and write longhand. I get a lot done when I get off the computer and do the latter.

I can't write in cafes/coffee shops, the noise and other people are too distracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.