• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bloomsbury Publishing / Walker & Company

• Thread starter Megan N. Caldwell
  • Start date

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guinea, curious if you have an update? Meredith requested my full right after #pitmad on 9-13 and I've not gotten an update yet.

Hi Lucky. I've since been offered rep by an agent, so they are now dealing with it. I am speaking to them tomorrow, so will ask if there's been an update then. Will come back to you on that when I know.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a novel to them (Bloomsbury Spark) about ten days ago and their auto-reply was that, yes, it can take up to two months to review your work. I guess they want to be thorough. I have my submission elsewhere, so we'll see.

MerHouston

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted my NA sci-fi last May and received a lovely rejection soon thereafter, basically stating it didn't fit with their opening line-up. Cut to a few weeks ago, and Meredith emailed me after seeing an interview I did on a blog, and said she remembered my book and wanted to see it again, as it may fit better with Spark's line now. Anyhow, I found that completely amazing, and am desperately trying not to sit on my email at all times now :) Fingers crossed!

WerbyG

Wandering aimlessly in the slush...
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on Bloomsbury in Australia? I've subbed a YA fantasy to them. They seem nice and solid: has anyone here had dealings with them?

theresa.mcclinton

"Crossing Realms of YA Romance."
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theresamcclinton.com
Hey y'all,

Last week I did #pitmad on Twitter and got a partial request from an editor at Bloomsbury Spark. She got back to me today and requested the full. Spark is, apparently, going to be the newest branch of Bloomsbury, and publish exclusively YA & NA eBooks. I know they're a respected company, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience submitting to this imprint specifically? Or experience with their contracts, etc? I still don't have an agent, so I'm wading into these waters cautiously.

Thanks!

I just signed my first contract with Bloomsbury through Spark. So far the contract process has been very professional. My agent and I have both been impressed with their responsiveness. I'm excited to be a part of Bloomsbury, as the publisher has an excellent reputation. :)

Congrats on the full-request.

theresa.mcclinton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theresamcclinton.com
I submitted a novel to them (Bloomsbury Spark) about ten days ago and their auto-reply was that, yes, it can take up to two months to review your work. I guess they want to be thorough. I have my submission elsewhere, so we'll see.

Two months is pretty standard. Sometimes longer. But if they're an imprint of Bloomsbury, I'd say wait it out. :) They're a good publisher. Well-known. Reputable. Their imprints will be, too. ;)

theresa.mcclinton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theresamcclinton.com

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Bloomsbury in early April and just received a request for a 3 chapter partial.

:)

K.L Hallam

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karenleehallamwrites.blogspot.com
Seems the submission guide asks for the MS and to send a query with it. Am I reading this correctly? It doesn't sound as if anyone here has sent in an ms, as they're being asked for partials, etc. Thanks.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I followed the submissions guide on their website, it just said to send a query to the email address listed and that if they wished to see any materials they would request them, otherwise no response within a couple of months was a rejection/'no'.

hope that helps.

K.L Hallam

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Parumpdragon. Did I miss read this:

"If you have a manuscript between 25 and 60k words long, then please send it to us at one of the following emails, along with a query, a brief biography, and links to your online presence"

They're going to throw out my submission. ACK!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Parumpdragon. Did I miss read this:

"If you have a manuscript between 25 and 60k words long, then please send it to us at one of the following emails, along with a query, a brief biography, and links to your online presence"

They're going to throw out my submission. ACK!

No, I don't think you misread. I probably did. I'm sure your sub will be okay. :)

Hey, I screwed up and just sent the query letter and they still asked for a sample of the MS. ;)

K.L Hallam

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
haha, Parumpdragon, seems it worked out for you, at least you know they're interested pretty quick. I sent an entire ms, and it will take months before I know. Someone that screws up more than me, impressive.

EDIT: sent ms on 7/18 closing out now, with no word, on 10/20/14
Can't find anything that says how long to wait, so I'll close this out. I did get auto-confirmation of receipt. Wish I had only sent a query.

~Looks like they're getting my novella next. heehee.

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear back from Bloomsbury on the requested 3 chapters, but I know the bigger the house the longer the wait. I'm giving it at least 6 months, if not a year (my guess/estimate of how long it will take to hear). :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I never heard back from them, so I went elsewhere. I wish all the others who've submitted--and those who've signed contracts--the very best.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
All I can remember is hammering on their door for years and getting nailed with rejections, and in some cases no response. I know my agent hit them up too. It was the first place we went with both my YA titles. Since then: 13 contract offers for both books. All small press--most of them Canadian. The Canadian love me for some reason--damn near all of my publications have been Canadian.

chris

tertia

such inertia
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Spark recently and if so, did you get an auto-reply confirmation of receipt? I queried a week or two ago and didn't get an auto-reply so now I'm paranoid my submission didn't go through, but I also don't want to resend if it did.

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
I queried in May and received an automatic reply. Maybe you could resend starting your letter with the reason why you're resending.

tertia

such inertia
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I tried again and still no auto-reply, but I BCC-ed myself this time and it seems to have gone through okay. Hopefully it made it through on Bloomsbury's end and they're not too grumpy with my duplicate email.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A note that, in '14, the children's side of Walker & Co was integrated into Bloomsbury, with Walker to refocus on non-fiction. (PW article) Not finding any new books for the imprint, however.

ETA: Updating URL https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/

Last edited: