The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
After seeing the agent list I am sincerely considering not entering. Because of ONE agent that I have complained about on here--not by name--who said I wrote like 50 Shades.

Eh, enter. There is one agent there who doesn't like my "cutesy" writing, too.

No guts, no glory. Release the kraken.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
After seeing the agent list I am sincerely considering not entering. Because of ONE agent that I have complained about on here--not by name--who said I wrote like 50 Shades.

Don't worry about that. If she happens to request pages, you don't have to submit to her. The agents don't put up crits--just requests.
Actually, that would be awesome! She wants pages and you ignore her...burn!

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
But would the T-shirts have the kraken on it, or the "kraken"?

You know my vote...

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Strangely enough, the wine we had for dinner was from Cupcake Vineyards. A bit of karma, I guess. Or something.

Tonight is a wine night, but there is no wine in my house and I am too down to go get some.

More red tape with getting my kids back into school. I have to go to the health dept tomorrow b/c none of my documents from immunizations are the exact form the school asks for, even though I must have HAD that form b/c I enrolled him a couple of years ago at this EXACT SCHOOL.

Oy.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for t-shirts and a hashtag. And I'm submitting. You all convinced me. Now to write the end of the novel in time. Best I stop tweeting and get on it. Who needs sleep, right?

Heather--I can feel your pain from here. It should be easy to put your kids in school. We're supposed to be advanced.:Hug2:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I vote for t-shirts and a hashtag. And I'm submitting. You all convinced me. Now to write the end of the novel in time. Best I stop tweeting and get on it. Who needs sleep, right?

Heather--I can feel your pain from here. It should be easy to put your kids in school. We're supposed to be advanced.:Hug2:

Glad you're submitting. Now, some artistic type needs to figure out our t-shirts. JJ?

Don't get me started about school bureaucracy. I wrote a book about it.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
At the very least, we can have a hashtag on Twitter.

And krash... could you explain the difference between the kraken and the 'kraken"?

Uh...*looks around the room wondering if I'm the only idiot around* (PS don't answer that)

I thought your "kraken" was a reference to, uh, er, little Hades. Well, no, I mean the not-so-little little Hades.

So I was referring to mythical sea beast vs mythical trouser snake.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Uh...*looks around the room wondering if I'm the only idiot around* (PS don't answer that)

I thought your "kraken" was a reference to, uh, er, little Hades. Well, no, I mean the not-so-little little Hades.

You had me at mythical trouser snake. :ROFL:

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I did it! I finished that short short and submitted it! Dunno if it's winning worthy. I definitely had quite a bit of fun writing it, so there's that at least.

But please don't ever let me do that again. I was basically working/thinking really really hard about the thing since I posted last. Ugh. I'ma go play some video games or watch Adventure Time or something.

I made a Twitter list for us - AW R&Ders - but I know I'm missing people, so let me know who I still need to add

You can add me if ya like, though you might get some weird tweets here and there. :)

Hathor said:
No guts, no glory. Release the kraken.

THIS

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I did it! I finished that short short and submitted it! Dunno if it's winning worthy. I definitely had quite a bit of fun writing it, so there's that at least.

But please don't ever let me do that again. I was basically working/thinking really really hard about the thing since I posted last. Ugh. I'ma go play some video games or watch Adventure Time or something.

You can add me if ya like, though you might get some weird tweets here and there. :)

THIS
Yay, Antonin! :Clap::e2cheer:

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com

Thanks. I'm putting myself to bed.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I accomplished a lot of IRL stuff today, so even though I haven't gotten any farther in my revisions, still feeling pretty good about jumping into August. Go, me.

Hathor - Ugh. Healthcare billing is the worst. :p

JJ - Sorry you had a crummy day :(

Antonin - You rock! I totally didn't get around to writing the other short story I'd been hoping to. Ah, well. Maybe later. There's another one I *really* wanted to sub to for tomorrow, but the story I'd wanted to send in is still out somewhere else. Argh!

#teamkraken

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I accomplished a lot of IRL stuff today, so even though I haven't gotten any farther in my revisions, still feeling pretty good about jumping into August. Go, me.

Go you is right. RL accomplishments count too.
icon12.gif

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I'm impressed by you productive short-story writers! I've never been very good at those . . .

Last night, I cleaned up an issue with my novella that I knew almost from the first was an issue. I'm pretty pleased with the results. So at least I was sort-of productive.

I'm off tonight to the beach for a long weekend with the parents. Should be fun!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score

:ROFL:Oh, krash, m'dear, you never disappoint. I just wanted you to be the one to explain. :poke:

I am tempted to steal the expression "little Hades" but I don't think my narrator would ever use it. She makes fun of many things--but never that.

Now Poseidon might, though, in that nasty email... er, communiqué... he sends Hades. Hmm. You are a wonderful muse, krash. :)

I checked it out. Folks have been using #teamkraken already, although not for pitch contest purposes. The last tweet made reference to it and #teamgoliath.

Oh, dear. *tries to climb out of mental gutter*

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
I too am impressed by you short story writers. I enjoy writing brief vignettes but mostly fail at short stories. The last one I wrote poured out of me in a fit and has plagued me since. I love it, but it's too long, so I have shortened it to various lengths and keep planning to send it out, but I am clueless about short stories. I don't even know if it is good. I typically write YA and first person. It is neither.

So, I bow to you masters of the form.

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Struggling to Read?

Does anyone else have this problem…

When I am feeling overly rejected, I struggle to find a book to READ. I look at them all and think, "They're published. I'm not."

Just finished The Group by Mary McCarthy and can't choose a new read.

Stupid jealousy.

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
How about trouser kraken? Can we coin that term?
PS I wouldn't pick a hashtag for use that has "team" in it. Once the mentors pick, their teams make names for themselves and put those up (Yay! I'm on #teamwhatever). Assuming we ALL get in, we wouldn't want our teams to think we didn't have allegiance to them. So something obscure we can shout out to each other would work...

When full of rejection, I find reading can help because A) I find a book that's poorly done and think, well, many someones actually found this book good and put it through the system, so I just need to connect with the right someone myself, B) I read a good book and it inspires me to think that this is the kind of author I want to be, and then I dig back into my own work, C, which is realted to B) I learn something new (style/voice/characterization) and think how I can employ something like it because it was kick-ass, and get inspired to dig back in.

Does the jealousy hit sometimes? Absolutely. But then the more I think about it, the more I spin it to one of the above.

Last edited:

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score

Can you rep me that name? I got a bit of weird feedback from an agent on the list and I'm wondering if it's the same. :tongue

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
SO! I apparently got an agent requesting a hard copy sample pages.

and then I woke up.

:cry:

Does anyone else have this problem…

When I am feeling overly rejected, I struggle to find a book to READ. I look at them all and think, "They're published. I'm not."

Just finished The Group by Mary McCarthy and can't choose a new read.

Stupid jealousy.

Yup, happens all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.