"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
All of y'all with your high word counts! Go you! My progress isn't near that good. I'd planned to write tonight. Then turned on my computer and it decided not to work. Ended up reinstalling the operating system. It kept my files (fortunately! I would've lost a ton of pictures I don't have backed up!) but lost all the programs I'd installed. So I've spent my evening reinstalling everything. Grrr. I didn't even get to go to Harry Potter's birthday party at B&N.

Hi
First time posting in the cafe. Though I visit a lot I generally steer clear of such places because I like to take long breaks and never can keep up conversation.

Camp nano is over :( I won though for the second time :) But am still no where near finishing the book. Guess I'll have to make my own little graph thing to keep up the motivation.
I planned to have this book done by July, so even though I won I am still a little crushed that I am pushing 140k (done over 4 months) and still not done.

KSavoie- I hope you get it!!!

Welcome!! Don't worry about falling behind in the conversation. If you don't get to check in for a while, just read over the last page or two and you'll be fine. :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Stiger, that is so awesome! So happy for you that you got such amazing/positive feedback from your agent. Definitely bottle that high and take some whiffs when you go though your next round of downs and self-doubts. :)

Hi to all the newbies on the board!

Only had time to quickly glance back the last two pages. I have been crazy busy trying to get settled here in Florida. Things have been extremely crazy. Still trying to get an apt. and still trying to get jobs, but things seems to be headed in generally good directions for both. I'm just praying I get a job before the school year starts (umm...only like 2 weeks away??? GAH!!!!!).

Anyway, we are already a thousand times happier here in FL than in PR. It was well worth the move. I have very little time right now with all the job hunting, apartment hunting and trying to keep the kids happy/entertained, so I have had ZERO time to write lately, which is really hard for me, but i know it's not permanent, so I'll deal. I have to finish beta reading though. Luckily my friend is really patient and not in a major hurry. But I need to get it done and back to her in the very near future.

Hope everyone is well!

BPhilip

Registered
Reaction score
about 1,500 words today? I think. I hand wrote it out, and each page in this notebook usually gets me a little over 400 words. but then I had a plot epiphany on the bus ride home (with no paper) that I immediately wrote down as soon as I got home, so I think that cleared up some plot anxiety I've been having.

How's everyone's evening?

BPhilip

Registered
Reaction score
On a side note: as of tonight, all 3 courses I'll be teaching in the fall are completely full. I guess it's a good thing I've gotten better with names? I hope this doesn't put a stop on my WIP...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Gearing up for promo for Catnip, my newest YA novel. It should be available tomorrow through DevineDestinies.com as well as Amazon.com and other fine digital venues. I've already made threads elsewhere.

Now editing Stand-in. Trying to cut it down to under 70000 words. (At 73500 now)

Freakin' hot over here, BTW...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have a goal to finish the "first" draft of Taylor-Made, version 4 by next Wednesday (because that's when my TV will be fixed).

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, fellow Elders. I have tried to be in this thread twice, I think, and I never seem to be able to follow it up once school holidays are over. I'm going to try again and see if I can be more persistent.
Just completed CampNaNo and reached my target, which also means my current project is ready for revisions to start. I'm at the point where I have a binder filled with post-it notes with things I need to add and/or elaborate on. Next week, I'll be all alone during the day, and hope to get a lot done then, because the week after that I'll be back at school and preparing for the influx of students.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are doing great work! I'm reviewing WIP#1 in hopes of finally getting the ending right and sending it off to my Beta. I got through about 45 pages that needed minor edits yesterday. I feel pretty good about it, but I'm reconsidering one minor plot point. I think I can fix that without much trouble, and it will be tighter and flow better.

Wampuscat, I know the feeling of juggling work, writing, and a little one. Somehow we convinced my almost-5-month old to go to sleep before 9 p.m. last night and stay asleep until 6:50 a.m. I got almost an hour of uninterrupted editing done before heading to bed. :) That's the best I've done in months on days I haven't gone to the cafe.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Wampuscat, I know the feeling of juggling work, writing, and a little one. Somehow we convinced my almost-5-month old to go to sleep before 9 p.m. last night and stay asleep until 6:50 a.m. I got almost an hour of uninterrupted editing done before heading to bed. :) That's the best I've done in months on days I haven't gone to the cafe.

Holy crap, I'm so jealous of you! My girl is going through the 4-month-old sleep regression/growth spurt, so she goes to sleep around 7:30 or 8 but then eats again at 10ish and 3ish and 6:30ish. Plus the weather changes here have made her congested at night, so she's restless all night and I feel terrible not being able to do anything for her.

On the plus side, I feel pretty good about where my writing is headed, and I strangely get a lot of good ideas, plot fixes, etc. during that 3 am feeding. (And most of them actually still make sense in the morning!)

Also, :welcome: new folks!

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, I'm so jealous of you! My girl is going through the 4-month-old sleep regression/growth spurt, so she goes to sleep around 7:30 or 8 but then eats again at 10ish and 3ish and 6:30ish. Plus the weather changes here have made her congested at night, so she's restless all night and I feel terrible not being able to do anything for her.
Last night was a fluke. He's been doing the same thing as your girl. We've been up and down every two hours all week. We changed up his schedule a little yesterday, so maybe it was what he needed. Or maybe he won't sleep at all this weekend.

I get some interesting ideas in the middle of the night while rocking him, but I can't write them down right then and usually forget them by morning.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My writing group may not be a critique group, but, damn, are we good at helping each other out of plot problems. It was just me and one girl yesterday, but I brought her where I am in TM because I'm kinda stuck, and we worked through that (though I'm still all iffy on that), and we talked about some other thing I'm stuck on in the remaining section, and even though I had had a passing thought on a solution, she asked a question about that same solution idea that made me really think hard about it, and after we went home, I realized just how perfect that solution was for all sorts of problems I was having.

Still stuck on the next scene a little, though ;)

VeryFairy

I'm not a fairy.
Registered
Reaction score
Stiger, sorry about your computer. I really want to download scrivener, especially with the great deal from camp, but I don't have a computer I trust enough, or am at enough to bother :(
Good thing is though, I don't write on the computer, I use paper and pen or my neo, so I'm not too fuzzed.

Sage, you're lucky. I live in a very small town, no writing groups, and I don't even think it would be worth starting one. I am in the country, mostly 60+ in my area, (I am in my twenties) all I got is a gardening club.
What I wouldn't give for a library or cafe in walking distance.

OH oh, but I got a new pen with ten different ink colours, and it smells like fruits!!
See, there's a silver lining to school supplies, I've been looking for one for months.

I see I'm not the only one looking for another spot since cabins will soon be shutting down. HI Elleroni :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: VeryFairy

My writing group came from NaNo write-ins. I usually call them my NaNo peeps, but since we were recently talking about writing/crit groups, I though I'd call them that.

Also, your pen sounds fancy!

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Sage, you're lucky. I live in a very small town, no writing groups, and I don't even think it would be worth starting one. I am in the country, mostly 60+ in my area, (I am in my twenties) all I got is a gardening club.
What I wouldn't give for a library or cafe in walking distance.

OH oh, but I got a new pen with ten different ink colours, and it smells like fruits!!
See, there's a silver lining to school supplies, I've been looking for one for months.

I see I'm not the only one looking for another spot since cabins will soon be shutting down. HI Elleroni :)
I have the same problem where I live concerning writing groups. Well, there IS a writing group that meets once a month at the library, but I don't think we would get along very well. They're probably mostly 50+, and I write YA ... contemporary YA with a few f-bombs, and kids discussing sex, and tough, touchy subjects that the conservative older folks would probably take issue with.

Also, the only cafe in town is closed Saturday through Monday, and it's kinda sad and lonely. I used to live in a nice, vibrant college town with the. most. awesome. coffee shop, but I let hubby talk me into moving. Now I haz a sad. :e2bummed:

I want a new pen and a new notebook! It's tax-free weekend here ... I should get them. :)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The best part about my fantasy universe being explicitly linked to contemporary Earth is that, while two characters are prepping to interrogate a goon they caught, one goes.

"Hey, you...uh, know what you're doing?"

And the other goes: "Oh, yeah, don't worry. I've seen Burn Notice!"

Cut to the goon going flying out of the window to crash onto the pavement below, dying messily.

"...I thought you said you knew what you were doing!"

"Oh right. I forgot the rope..."

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
The best part about my fantasy universe being explicitly linked to contemporary Earth is that, while two characters are prepping to interrogate a goon they caught, one goes.

"Hey, you...uh, know what you're doing?"

And the other goes: "Oh, yeah, don't worry. I've seen Burn Notice!"

Cut to the goon going flying out of the window to crash onto the pavement below, dying messily.

"...I thought you said you knew what you were doing!"

"Oh right. I forgot the rope..."

I remember that episode of Burn Notice. Amazing show.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The scene, now that I have written it!

The ripping sound of Glorious Conductive Adhesion Barrier Strips in Judicious Rolls being torn free made my teeth hurt. The strip that Jayq tore free wrapped around the goon’s wrist, keeping his soulgem pressed down against the grain of the chair. Jayq tore another few strips of Glorious Con…okay, fine, duct tape and strapped them over the guy’s mouth.

“Okay, uh…” I stepped back, looking around the abandoned apartment building that we had found at the edge of Stern’s city-body. The sunlight was getting low, with the horizon becoming bathed in the reddish, bloody colors of a really nice sunset, and the whole of Stern Hand of Industry spread out before us, like a gleaming tapestry. I looked back at Jayq as she taped the guy’s legs to the chair. “Do…you know what you’re doing?”

“I second that question,” Boolian said, his head stuck out of my pocket.

“Oh, yeah!” Jayq ripped another hunk of tape, this time with her teeth, and strapped the other guy’s leg to the chair. She pocketed the roll of tape and turned to me, grinning. “I’ve seen Burn Notice.”

I looked at Boolian. He looked at me and shrugged.

###

The goon’s body flew through the plate glass. The chair tumbled, and he slammed into the pavement thirty feet straight down.

I looked out. Jayq looked out too.

“…I thought you said you knew what you were doing!” I shouted at Jayq.

“To be fair, I…didn’t know the window would break that easily.”

I put my hands over my face.

“What the hell!?”

I slid my hands away from my face.

The cooling body had, like all bodies, released its inventory. I saw the expected profusion of weapons, coins, spare clothes, and other bits of minutia that anyone might carry.

But I also saw a second body. Naked, emaciated, and crawling away desperately.

I looked at Jayq, then at Boolian. “Feather Fall!” I shouted, then jumped out of the window. Boolian yelped, clinging to my pocket as gravity tried to rip him out of comforting warmth of the pocket. He waved one paw and a glowing light surrounded us, slowing us down just before we hit the ground. I ran towards the person, who had managed to get to his feet and started to run.

“I won’t go back!” He shouted over his shoulder. I ran forward, jumped up, ran along the wall, then leaped down to land before the man, who ran directly into me. He was stick figure thin, and I grabbed him by his hips as he collapsed against me.

“Whoa! Whoa!” I said. “It’s okay! You’re safe!”

He blinked, looking into my face.

“D-Do you want food?” I asked.

He burst into tears as Jayq, who had taken the stairs, ran out…and started looting the corpse.

“Jayq!”

“What?” She looked up. “You caught him!”

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I have the same problem where I live concerning writing groups. Well, there IS a writing group that meets once a month at the library, but I don't think we would get along very well. They're probably mostly 50+, and I write YA ... contemporary YA with a few f-bombs, and kids discussing sex, and tough, touchy subjects that the conservative older folks would probably take issue with.

Also, the only cafe in town is closed Saturday through Monday, and it's kinda sad and lonely. I used to live in a nice, vibrant college town with the. most. awesome. coffee shop, but I let hubby talk me into moving. Now I haz a sad. :e2bummed:

I want a new pen and a new notebook! It's tax-free weekend here ... I should get them. :)

They might surprise you! My (cheerleader) crit group has two 60-something members and our mentor is 101 now. (She swears that writing poetry every day helps her stay alive.) She's been hugely helpful with my contemp YA. (One of the ladies did have an issue with a sex scene in one of my stories though.) That said, they're not very critical (or knowledgeable about YA), but they are good with characters, plot holes, etc.

Welcome, Very Fairy!

Your writing group sounds fantastic, Sage!

I haven't gone to a cafe to write in years. Maybe I'll have to revive that idea.

So glad you all are making progress.

(And best of luck with the little one's sleep schedule, Christabelle!)

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to think I need to find a writing group. I haven't looked for a critique group for the same reason that I haven't yet requested beta readers, that I still have a lot of manuscript polishing left to do, but being held accountable, and especially help with plot holes, sounds so nice. (Plus helping other people with plot holes will probably help me with my own brainstorming patterns.) Hmm. :)

sofia.e

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to think I need to find a writing group. I haven't looked for a critique group for the same reason that I haven't yet requested beta readers, that I still have a lot of manuscript polishing left to do, but being held accountable, and especially help with plot holes, sounds so nice. (Plus helping other people with plot holes will probably help me with my own brainstorming patterns.) Hmm. :)

I'm in a similar boat. I've been hesitant to share stuff because I don't want to make anyone read something full of problems I know how to fix but at the same time, I'd love some people to bounce ideas off of. There's a local chapter of SCBWI here, which doesn't seem to be too active, but I'm going to check it out anyway. The next meeting is on the 12th, so hopefully I'll make it to that and it'll end up being helpful.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to have an in person writing group. There is only one that I know of in the area, and I can't join it. One of my clients (I'm a mental health social worker) is a member of it. She has invited me several times, but we aren't allowed to socialize with our clients and my work place would see it as such. If/when I get another job, I'll be joining it.

I am finished with one rewrite on my book and have done two other read throughs. I'm about to send it off to a couple of Beta readers, and I'm getting really cold feet about it. I've never experienced that before, but I think that might be because I've not let anyone see it before now. Usually, I've allowed friends to read the beginning or whatever with my stuff, but not this time.

So, while it's gone to the betas, I'm not going to work on it at all and wait to see what they say. I am going to start on my next one. I have two ideas though and don't know which one to go with. One of them, I want to set it in the 1990s. I recently read on a blog that the 90s are too close to be historical but too far back to be contemporary and would be hard to place. What do you think?

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time cafe poster here.

How's it going? I've been meaning to post in here for about 2 weeks now but every time I tried I got interrupted. But it looks like today is my day!

I'm in the middle of post-beta edits and rewrites, which I've been really enjoying. I'm starting to feel like it's becoming the book that I have in my head.

Last night I hit a wall. I got stuck on a scene and couldn't get it to feel right. I got the first half written but was feeling a bit dicey about it. The second half just stubbornly refused to come. Tried again earlier while my son was down for his nap (ie. my writing time) and fiddled with some wording but didn't really solve the problem.

Then about half an hour ago, bam! The solution came to me. Or rather, I realized what the problem was. Essentially, I wasn't achieving anything with the scene beyond a nice moment between two friends. DELETE!

A day of agonizing for that. Why didn't I realize that sooner? Sometimes, I just want to kick myself.

My day's writing. :cry:

What about everyone else?

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Just wanted to pop in and say welcome to all the newbies (and the not-so-new-but-returning newbies). *waves*

I've been crazy busy pulling overtime at work this week to prepare for our summer party, so I didn't get any writing done. But now the party is done and maybe I can get back to my usual writing schedule. *crosses fingers*

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
They're probably mostly 50+, and I write YA ... contemporary YA with a few f-bombs, and kids discussing sex, and tough, touchy subjects that the conservative older folks would probably take issue with.

I am a Nano-ML in my region, and I'm always surprised by how cool our older folks are. We seem to skew old for nano, but we get a lot of empty-nesters or retirees, and other than some general bafflement at the 15-20-year-olds, the older folks are usually cool as heck, with some really great stories.

I saw one of my coworkers with a new notebook, and I currently have very serious notebook envy. It's a practical purchase, really! (yeah, right)

Then about half an hour ago, bam! The solution came to me. Or rather, I realized what the problem was. Essentially, I wasn't achieving anything with the scene beyond a nice moment between two friends. DELETE!

A day of agonizing for that. Why didn't I realize that sooner? Sometimes, I just want to kick myself.

My day's writing. :cry:

Welcome! I have a sinking suspicion that will happen to the scene I finished last night. It was the last writing for the camp-month (final WC, 38k!) but it ended up sprawling and somehow amazingly disorganized. I'm already itching to delete it.

One day's writing, but you're saving yourself a day's revision on the other side? :Hug2: I'm looking for that bright side.

I think I've hit the half-way point in the SNI. Yesterday was the first breather scene (sprawling, messy breather scene) and then we're back to spaceship chases and broken bones.:evil

Status
Not open for further replies.