Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I entered your contest, Dorothy, I think. I am easily confused.

My MIL used to whisper insults when she passed me during family gatherings. Yeah, I felt judged. She is a poor judge of character. The SIL she liked turned out to be a wacko.

My kids are skiing for the day. I am jealous.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Tweet about the Giveaway--Don't have tweet acct
Easy entry for all Dorothy Dreyer fans on Facebook--FB acct is fake, only used to play free games
Follow @DorothyDreyer on Twitter--no acct >.<
Blog about the giveaway--Haven't set up a blog yet.

Sorry, ma'am... maybe on goodreads later?

Chuckling a bit - I am easily confused, so I get lost in tech stuff.

Oh, and I am not looking forward to having in-laws [if I ever do]. Most people don't seem to like theirs, just an observation over time.

;)

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score

Oh, and I am not looking forward to having in-laws [if I ever do]. Most people don't seem to like theirs, just an observation over time.

;)

I like my in-laws, I just can't spend too much time around them. They're really nice, kind-hearted people, but they're kind of scattered and terrible with planning/preparation and are always late. I'm the exact opposite so it drives me crazy for too long. Plus, they live in the middle of nowhere so there is literally nothing to do but sit around the house and watch the clock tick. FIL watches golf, MIL cooks. No internet. Yep, I go crazy.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sage!

I recently rewrote my entire novel :D in a completely new voice. I kept the plot the same (though I added a subplot I am ironically taking out now). My problem was my character's voice/personality was not relatable or sympathetic. With her new voice you really got inside her head.

What I did was I kept my original document open until I felt confident I knew where I was headed with my rewrite. Then I exited out and kept working on my rewrite alone.

Good luck, Sage!!!
Oh, thanks! I think this is what I'll probably end up doing. There are lots of things I want to keep, but Ren's voice needs to change and there are some plot issues, but I don't think I need to redo the entire plot from scratch. Probably a hybrid of from scratch writing and rewriting what's already there. I think my first task, once I'm finished with TM (which I notice I'm not working on right now, lol) is to reread what I wrote, painful as that may be, and sort of outline what I have and what needs to change.

Still waiting on that one submission I sent out before Christmas.
That's not so long ago. Good luck!
Returning after reading through and absorbing those notes. (Many deep breaths were taken, and there was a lot of grinning in between the grimancing.) Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Sage, thank you for your reply! Definitely agreed about the differening levels of feedback between editors and agents -- my agent only gave me a page or two but they were big changes, but the 13-page report by this editor was more conversational and balanced with praise. Cut down to just the criticisms and potential changes it's maybe 3 pages! (And I never would have realised that if you hadn't said! Only 3 pages, pah, I can do this! :D)
Oh, yay, I'm glad that helped and that the notes weren't so bad.

Sorting out characters for Our Golden Summer. I am wondering whether or not to mention any features like tattoos or that...
Ah ha, is this your SNI that you've been talking about on twitter?

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com

;)

I have divorced in-laws! My wife's dad likes me, and my wife's mom says she does too. But she would really prefer it if my wife moved to the same town as her . . . and marry a man. tee hee

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I may be too tired to work on anything today. Every little thing seems like a huge disaster right now, so I'm not sure I can handle a single beta note without crying, even though I've already read them, and actually, they're pretty light. I mean, there's a bigger problem I have to tackle, but I'm not on that part yet.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I may be too tired to work on anything today. Every little thing seems like a huge disaster right now, so I'm not sure I can handle a single beta note without crying, even though I've already read them, and actually, they're pretty light. I mean, there's a bigger problem I have to tackle, but I'm not on that part yet.

:Hug2:

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Sage! Dangit, chin up. You're one of the most confident writers on this board. Really. It's okay to have a momentary lapse of self-doubt, but come on! No more boo-hooing. You inspire us. You can do it. Go watch Buffy for some power-building or something. (And get some sleep!).

PD, a submission before Christmas is no time at all, really. Publishers/agents are busy and take FOREVER to get back to you. The WORST part of writing is the waiting, in my opinion. Hang in there.

Stiger! I actually like my inlaws more than my own family. Except. Neither one can hear worth a damn any more. And Dr. Kansas goes out shopping with her mom, leaving me alone with her dad. All he does is watch t.v. Not even good t.v. Hours after hours after hours of local news and cooking shows...zzzz. When I try and begin an awkward convo with him, he can't hear me. Many strange glances are exchanged. Gah! I end up mumbling to myself, hoping to not look like too much of a fool, while he wonders what his daughter ever saw in me. Ah, the holidays.

The holidays drain us all and I'm glad to be over the first hump. Second one's not so bad.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
PD, a submission before Christmas is no time at all, really. Publishers/agents are busy and take FOREVER to get back to you. The WORST part of writing is the waiting, in my opinion. Hang in there.

chuckling - eh, I can always sub it elsewhere

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii: I used to, but I think a lot of it was in my head. I don't have the most self-confidence in the world and may be a touch pessimistic, so I tend to interpret actions/words, etc negatively. The longer Hubby and I have been together, though, the better it's gotten, and now I really just don't care what they think (okay, I don't care as much, let's be honest here). Plus my SIL had kids and, well, all my in-laws' attention goes to them, now haha. We only see each other a couple times a year, though.

My MIL used to whisper insults when she passed me during family gatherings. Yeah, I felt judged. She is a poor judge of character. The SIL she liked turned out to be a wacko.

It's good to know I'm not alone...and that it could be much worse. My in-laws like me (actually, my husband says my FIL would marry me if he could), but his mother drives me a bit crazy. Kuwait is a very fashionable place. And it just seems like no matter how I try to dress nice, it's not good enough for her. Last time it was "Is that the nicest purse she has?" This time it was about my accessories.

It could be worse, but it just cuts down my self-esteem a bit every time we leave. I'm over it today, though.

In other random things: In Kuwait, everything (except McDonalds) delivers. Burger King delivers, Subway delivers, Applebees, the pizza places, the Indian places, etc. etc...

They just added a new delivery place to the list. Along with the ice cream stores and cookie stores that deliver, the place that sells nuts-just nuts-also now delivers.

I'm trying to decide what situation I'd be in where I suddenly realize I need a bunch of nuts delivered to my house to eat.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I haven't stopped in, in a long while it feels like. How is everyone?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Sage, it is that SNI. I think I'm in love with one of the characters already.

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all! It's been a good hundred-ish pages since I've posted in here, but I've been sporadically keeping up with your amazing accomplishments. Congrats to Stiger for getting an agent! Congrats to Dorothy for the GoodReads success! Only one more semester of grad school for me (this last one really kicked my butt and I had to practically give up on my WIP temporarily) and then maybe I can wrap this WIP up!

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a teen anymore...so I guess I should spend my days in here. Hi everyone!

Dorothy- your cover like, really grabs me. I'm a loser for really pretty covers that are artsy because I love art and oh man. I just wanna make out with your cover. I'm totally gonna read the book ( My Sister's Reaper) after I make sweet love to that cover oh man. Excuse me while I go stare at it some more.

Hope everyone is doing swell!

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
I'm not a teen anymore...so I guess I should spend my days in here. Hi everyone!

Dorothy- your cover like, really grabs me. I'm a loser for really pretty covers that are artsy because I love art and oh man. I just wanna make out with your cover. I'm totally gonna read the book ( My Sister's Reaper) after I make sweet love to that cover oh man. Excuse me while I go stare at it some more.

Hope everyone is doing swell!

I'm majorly blushing here. Thanks so much! And welcome to the gang! :D

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Itsaplane! Glad you found your way over here :) Welcome. It's been a little slow in here lately, but I would venture to guess that it's because many of us "older" people have kids and it's the holiday season, so there's lots going on. But once the new year rounds, I suspect, activity will increase ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have decided to add reviews to my blog. They're the same reviews I'm already doing for GR, but at least it will keep me posting.

I also tried to join NetGalley, but somehow failed, haha.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Itsaplane! I wanna' get you and Dorothy's book cover a room! But I know what you mean. Dorothy's cover's a beaut. I'm envious.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome ItsAPlane. I second the nomination to get you a room for you and Dorothy's cover ;)

I'm almost done the second draft of Talented :) I think I have between 3 and 5,000 words left. I'll definitely be able to finish before my deadline on the 1st. I'm very excited since it's the first time I've done a second draft.

I do already know some of the things I need to change though. Like the scene I wrote yesterday has to go...Bah, it sucks to write a 3,000 word scene that you then realize just doesn't belong -_-

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard the other night that I should be getting my first round of edits for Magic&Meru. :D SO excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.