Reading Comic Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any website (legit comic industry approved website, not some malware riddled pirate website) that releases whole comic books? Not the new ones obviously. But the old ones that that they aren't making money off of anymore. Like from the 2000's.
I'm asking because there is pretty much no comic book store where I live (atleast one that open for more than three hours a week and has more than two bins of comics) and if going to *write* comic books I probably need to *read* more comics.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read much in the way of digital comics, but I know there's comixology. They have both new and older stuff, though I think the older stuff is spotty.

Unrelated, I think comic companies are still making pretty good money on older comics in trade format, especially if they've only previously been released in individual issues. So you may not be able to find anything comprehensive and official, especially not for a low cost if that's a consideration.

ETA: You may want to check your local library too. I'm finding more and more library systems are carrying at least a small sample of some of the bigger names.

Last edited:

bySD

Registered
Reaction score
Libraries got me started on comics, but there's lots of manga apps out there, which help you grasp sequential narrative, and Marvel offers "Marvel Unlimited" which is subscription access to 13,000+ backlog issues. This week you can get a one month trial for $0.99, which is awesome. After that, it goes up to $10/m or $60/y. I don't have a comic shop near me either, which is good for my (non-existent) budget. :D

PsylentProtagonist

American Vampire
Registered
Reaction score
Archie also has their own digital app and DC has readdcentertainment.com. I know on Amazon, there used to be some computer CD's for Spider-man, X-Men, and Ghost Rider where for $40, you could get a crud ton of comics on the CD to read in adobe. Then of course, Kindle has comics on it too. If you have an iPhone, there are apps for all the big companies, sometimes they even give away free issues for things. Kindle just gave away a free issue of Batman for example to celebrate 75 years.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Comixology has a lot of freebies. Also, there is http://comicbookplus.com/, you will find a lot of free, but older comics there.
And you can search "webcomics" on the net. Most of them are free, but it's hard to find a good one. Do you have a preferred genre?

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Comixology has a lot of freebies. Also, there is http://comicbookplus.com/, you will find a lot of free, but older comics there.
And you can search "webcomics" on the net. Most of them are free, but it's hard to find a good one. Do you have a preferred genre?

Sorry for the late reply. Wasn't expecting new replies to this thread. Doesn't really matter. But I prefer to read the independents like Dark Horse. That's the type of comic I want to write so that the best for me to read. But I also like superhero comics as a time killer.

Thanks for all the replies everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.