Submitting to Foreign Publishers?

alyssabcole

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find anything. I'm in the United States, but I found a couple of small publishing houses from the UK that caught my eye. Should I stick to US-based publishing houses only? I'm just curious how this exactly works.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If they are a UK publisher focusing in the UK market that is a much smaller earning base. Most people do it the other way around.

For a great many publishers you don't do a lot of (any) in person meetings so it makes very little difference in that basis.

alyssabcole

Registered
Reaction score
Okay thank you! :) I have been submitting to plenty of US-based agents/publishers but I haven't had any luck yet, so I was considering widening my circle. Sounds like I shouldn't! Thanks again for your help.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Okay thank you! :) I have been submitting to plenty of US-based agents/publishers but I haven't had any luck yet, so I was considering widening my circle. Sounds like I shouldn't! Thanks again for your help.

I don't think it's a strict "shouldn't." Generally, US publishers have a bigger market than UK publishers. But that's generally. You still have to look at the individual publishers, and it's possible there's a UK publisher more suited for your book.

In other words, do your research. ;)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Aye, do your research, as always.

And think about your market. If your book is likely to appeal more to a UK audience than a US one you might do well to consider a UK pub -- the sales might be better in that case than going with a US pub. But if it's very US in its appeal, then you'll probably not fare well subbing to the UK. If it might appeal to both, then US ones may well (but not always) have bigger sales but that's something you'll need to research again

It's all about the book really.

Last edited:

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
Aye, do your research, as always.

And think about your market. If your book is likely to appeal more to a UK audience than a US one you might do well to consider a UK pub -- the sales might be better in that case than going with a US pub. But if it's very US in its appeal, then you'll probably not fare well subbing to the UK. If it might appeal to both, then US ones may well (but not always) have bigger sales but that's something you'll need to research again

It's all about the book really.

Agreed. I'm based in Canada and sold my book to a small press in the UK. The story is about a British historical figure, and while there was some interest in the US and Canada, there was a greater appetite for the novel in Britain. I was thrilled to have an enthusiastic publisher for it.

On the downside -- based on my limited experience to date (I sold the book last November and comes out in two months) -- is that it is good to be aware of some drawbacks if you're looking at a foreign small or indie press. In my case, the publisher has a P-T marketing person/publicist with experience in the UK. When it comes to N. American promotion, I've largely been left to my own devices. Whereas if I wanted to undertake the expense of flying to Britain (which they encourage, naturally), they'd arrange a book tour.

So while the British market is the ideal one, I'm unable (ok, for financial reasons, unwilling) to take full advantage of it.