Choosing between agents - and markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Methodsist

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm a little new here, so excuse me if this is the wrong place for this thread. It seemed like the best fit. I posted about this in my introduction thread, but got the advice that it didn't really belong there.

After years of trying, I've had some very good fortune with my newest book. I've got two competing agents offering me representation.

The main difference between them is that one is based in the UK - where I am - and the other in the US. This means that each wants to sell the book where they are based. I'll get a bigger advance and access to a bigger market if we go down the US route, but I'll be able to get more involved with promotion and marketing if it's being first published in my home country.

There's also a little difference in the experience of the two agents, though I like both very much. One has a very long list of clients and is one of the top agents in a medium-sized agency. The other has a small list and has only been an agent for a few years, but has decades of experience with a publisher and has done some strong sales to the top houses.

I guess it's a trade-off between being represented by the seasoned pro who might have less time for a first-time novelist and the agent with less experience and fewer clients who will be more attentive.

I have phone calls with both of them scheduled for tomorrow and will be able to get a better feel of how they would act as long-term representatives, but I'm having a lot of trouble with this dilemma and wondered if any of you fine people had any insights that would help!

Thanks for reading.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
It can be quite a difficult decision. Some things to consider when you talk with each of them:
-Does one of them seem to "get" your book more than the other? Do they think it needs any revisions? How much?
- does one seem more enthusiastic than the other?
- ask for a copy of their author-agent contract and review each of them carefully. They may have some differing clauses, and you'd need to decide if you're comfortable with those contracts.
- ask them if you may contact a few of the authors they represent. These conversations can be helpful for getting a sense of how each agent works and whether one would be a better fit than the other.

I'm sure you have your own list of questions as well. Ultimately, you may find after talking with both that one leaps to the fore.

Congrats on the interest and good luck!

I'm sure you already have a list of questions

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Have you checked them both out thoroughly, to make sure that their clients are pleased with them and that they have a strong list of good sales behind them? Because you might well find that that gives you some clarity of thought here, too.

Methodsist

Registered
Reaction score
It can be quite a difficult decision. Some things to consider when you talk with each of them:
-Does one of them seem to "get" your book more than the other? Do they think it needs any revisions? How much?
- does one seem more enthusiastic than the other?
- ask for a copy of their author-agent contract and review each of them carefully. They may have some differing clauses, and you'd need to decide if you're comfortable with those contracts.
- ask them if you may contact a few of the authors they represent. These conversations can be helpful for getting a sense of how each agent works and whether one would be a better fit than the other.

I'm sure you have your own list of questions as well. Ultimately, you may find after talking with both that one leaps to the fore.

Congrats on the interest and good luck!

I'm sure you already have a list of questions

Great answer, thank you! I hadn't thought of asking to get in touch with some of their clients, and I've only seen one author's agreement so far. I speak with them both on the phone later today, and yes, I have quite a list of questions already, but your insight is really helpful just now. I've never been in this situation before and it's very exciting!

Have you checked them both out thoroughly, to make sure that their clients are pleased with them and that they have a strong list of good sales behind them? Because you might well find that that gives you some clarity of thought here, too.

I have - both are impressive, and neither one markedly better than the other. That's definitely how I've been approaching the decision, though - thanks!

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no where your stage yet, but one thing on the backburner in my mind is how much any agent might like any of my future books as well.

No idea if that helps or not. Maybe see who you feel more comfortable with as a person once you're on the phone to them? I think the 'getting' your book, mentioned above, is crucial.

Good luck, at any rate!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've just realised that you have started another thread asking the same questions in our New Members room.

Please don't start duplicate threads: one thread per subject only, in future. AW is so big already. It would sink under its own weight if we allowed people to replicate their threads.

As that other thread is not in one of my rooms, I can't merge your two threads: so I'll close this one, and allow that conversation to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.