Getting a published ebook to print

RuthS

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Hoping to pick your brains!

I have a book published as an ebook, but for various reasons I believe it would be likely to make much more impact if there was also a print version available. My publisher has so far declined to make this happen (although it was the plan originally) so I was wondering -

...is there any way of getting a book to print where the publisher only has to fund part of the cost? I've thought about the possibility of getting it part-crowdfunded, but does anyone else have any alternative suggestions?

Really appreciate any thoughts/experiences anyone's willing to share!

Thanks,

Ruth

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hmm. If it was in the original plans, is a print edition in your publishing contract?

RuthS

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. If it was in the original plans, is a print edition in your publishing contract?

Hi Torgo. Thanks for getting back to me. It's in there, but only as an option for the publisher I think, rather than a requirement.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If they have the option, you need to get their agreement to do anything with the print rights. And it will probably be easier to just ask for the rights outright than involve them in some collaborative plan.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. If you licensed the print rights to your publisher you can't go ahead and publish the print edition yourself; and they might not want to go ahead with it, either.

You really should be talking to them about this.

If they're happy to revert the print rights to you then the lowest-cost option for you would probably be to use CreateSpace or Lulu. Avoid companies which want to charge you money for their publishing packages: those are rarely worth using. And make sure you find a good typesetter, otherwise your print edition will look like a dog's dinner.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
You need to check your contract to see what your rights are. It may be the case that the publisher has the print rights but must use them within a certain time after the start of the contract, or they revert to you and you are free to sell them elsewhere or exercise them yourself. If you don't quite understand what the contract is saying about that then get some independent advice.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely talk to your publisher, but when my ebook went to print through my publisher I had to sign a separate contract giving them my print rights.

My new publisher does strictly ebooks, but like you I wanted my books in print, first I contacted my publisher and got the ok, then I asked what I needed to do because I wanted to use the same cover. She sold me the cover and allowed me to use the edited ebook version of the MS and because I am clueless when it comes to digitly formatting ebooks, she agreed to do it for me for a small fee. I already made the investment back in royalties, so for me it was worth it.

Things you need to consider :
You don't own the cover, and you don't own the content of the ebook .
You must either ask permission or buy the right to use either.

Last edited:

RuthS

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts all, and sorry for the delay responding.

Definitely intending to speak to the publisher, but just wanted to sound out possibly approaches before I did that.

For example, I know one person who got her book half funded by a traditional publisher and half crowdfunded, but I didn't know if this was something that other people had experience of.

I've looked at my contract like some of you suggested and I see that the publisher has exclusive rights to print, so I guess that means the only way I could do this (whether crowdfunded or through something like Lulu) would be to get them to agree for the print rights to be reverted to me...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
For example, I know one person who got her book half funded by a traditional publisher and half crowdfunded, but I didn't know if this was something that other people had experience of.

Can you tell us the name of the publisher involved?

A good trade publisher is extremely unlikely to do this. It is something I've seen vanity publishers work with, though: they claim to fund half of the costs but in reality the author has to fund everything, whether it is by direct payment or crowdfunding.

I've looked at my contract like some of you suggested and I see that the publisher has exclusive rights to print, so I guess that means the only way I could do this (whether crowdfunded or through something like Lulu) would be to get them to agree for the print rights to be reverted to me...

You would definitely need to get those rights returned to you if you wanted to produce your own print edition. If the publisher currently owns those rights, though, they're unlikely to just revert them to you in order for you to potentially make money out of exploiting them: they will probably expect you to license those rights from them, as publishers do with foreign and subsidiary rights which they own. If they ask this, be realistic about your likely profits, because you might well find it's not financially viable to proceed.

RuthS

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Old Hack, appreciate your thoughts.

The publisher involved in the half-crowdfunded situation is called Cicada Books.