The Bouncy Castle in Space

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations Sissy! That's so awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Sage, oye! I'd be totally depressed if agents collectively sent me rejections on Valentine's Day or any holiday for that matter. Glad you can see it with humor though. :)

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Go Sissy! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

So sorry to hear about the editor r, Ruth. arg.

Not bouncing today. My cat has diabetes. Tomorrow I'm going to the vet to learn how to give him injections. I HATE NEEDLES! I don't know if I can do this. But I have to, so I will.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Ruth - sorry I missed sending condolences earlier. Someone will like it, so just don't give up.

Sheila - yes, you can do this. I gave myself shots in the stomach every week for over a year, and if I can do it, anyone can. I also had to give my dog allergy shots for a long time. When our babies are sick, we do whatever we have to do.

My sister's cat has diabetes. I feel horrible about it, because she got the cat from me. I never thought she could stick a needle into anything, let alone her kitten, but she manages.

We are woman. We are strong!

I hope your kittie is okay. I can't stand for my animals to get sick.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for Butterbean and Sheila's kitty.

Great big excited Squees for sissybaby.

And if anybody didn't get enough chocolate today, come on by and help yourself. I got kisses, a giant kiss, 3 heart-shaped boxes, a box of truffles, a giant Symphony bar, and a big chocolate ladybug on a stick!

Sometimes teaching does come with its perks...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a Cookie Controversy at school today. Our school has a no sweets policy-no cookies, candy, juice, not even chocolate chip granola bars. So a mom who does whatever she wants brought in 100 cookies for the whole school and made a HYUGE deal of it. My lead teacher was out of the room when another teacher asked me to send the kids over to get cookies. I knew it was Cookie Contraband and my teacher would not let his kids do it. The other teacher tried to scold me into it in his absence but i insisted on waiting for him. the children pleading for cookies really didn't help.

So now the principal heard about it and she is on the warpath. I'm glad I was such killjoy cause my classroom was the only one to stay out of trouble. Cookies are delicious tho! Send some my way!

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I've been lurking and I have to say you all have me really scared of public schools--They haven't taken care of the bullying problem and there's no cookies!!!

Anyway, just stopped in to drop off little heart-shaped cookies and wish everyone a happy Valentine's Day!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Kitty - you have much more willpower than I would. I would probably be the mom who brought in the cookies!

MsJudy - that's a LOT of chocolate, although I realize one can never have too much. Enjoy!

I was expecting nothing, but hubby came home with yellow roses (my absolute favorite) and lilies. And Ghiradelli (don't know how to spell it) and some other chocolate, don't remember.

Now I can't help but wonder what he's done, or is about to do. We don't usually spend the money on gifts of this type. It's usually practical things, like the new radio alarm clock I got him for Valentine's since the one we have isn't working well. He has to beat on it every morning to get it to turn off. (it cracks me up every single morning).

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Sissy. And hang in there, Ruth and Sage. I haven't had any rejections for a while, but that's only because I haven't heard anything at all for a while. The crickets are starting to drive me crazy.

I don't think I could go to a school with a no sweets policy. Healthy food's good and all, but I need some sugar now and then. Especially now.

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
I too forgot to send condolences to you, Ruth. Sorry about the book rejection. Those really suck. I hope you're feeling better and having a good Valentine's day. Sheila, I'm sorry about your kitty. My family had to deal with two diabetic cats at once. Not fun. Hugs to you both! :Hug2:

Kitty, you really do have a heck of an amount of will power! Kudos to you. I'm glad you avoided the trouble. I'd have given in probably at the first mention of cookies!

Ferret, hang in there with the crickets! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the rejection condolences. :)

I'm feeling bouncier today. Hubby brought me flowers and peanut butter cups for Valentines Day. Then he said, "I went to pick up the taxes, and Ken (the tax guy) said I should take you out to dinner. So where do you want to go?" That advice was poignant, because Ken's wife passed away a few months ago. So we went to our favorite Thai place and had a very lovely dinner.

About the cookies... wow. Not sure I would have been able to withstand the pressure. But good job upholding school policy, Kitty!

Sissy, congrats on the interest, and good luck!

Sheila, sorry about the kitty's health problems. Be strong, you can do what needs to be done.

And Judy, I loved your story about the kiddo who now enjoys reading assessment. A great reminder of why we do what we do.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, that's appalling. Don't those people study history? Prohibition was a HUGE failure. Plus it gave rise to organized crime.

But there's your next book. The kids at your school organize a huge underground/black market economy in cookies and granola bars...

My school doesn't have that problem. Hot Cheetos and donuts for breakfast, 5 kinds of cookies for the Valentine's party... Some of our parents have never heard of that thing called "nutrition." But still. I think nagging is better than flat-out forbidding everything.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, that's appalling. Don't those people study history? Prohibition was a HUGE failure. Plus it gave rise to organized crime.

But there's your next book. The kids at your school organize a huge underground/black market economy in cookies and granola bars...

My school doesn't have that problem. Hot Cheetos and donuts for breakfast, 5 kinds of cookies for the Valentine's party... Some of our parents have never heard of that thing called "nutrition." But still. I think nagging is better than flat-out forbidding everything.

Heh heh. I did think about putting a junk food revolt in a book, actually. AND last week, one of the kids got busted down big time for circulating a petition in class protesting something the teacher had decided to do. Get a bunch of hippie kids together and teach them about social justice, and nonviolent protest is practically inevitable! In reality, tho, these students have it pretty good. Today they had kitchen class and they made whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. They all get fresh local organic hot lunch every day too. They can save their Ho-Hos for after school. The instigating teacher apologized to my lead teacher for the Cookie Incident, apparently. But not to me!

Highly dramatic day at work today. Crazy rainstorm, crazy kids, sick teachers, pukers, bleeders, weepers, terrible attitudes, and paint splattered everywhere. I went through more clorox wipes and alcohol swabs and hand sanitizer than I ever have in my life, and that's all I will say on the subject :tmi

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Highly dramatic day at work today. Crazy rainstorm, crazy kids, sick teachers, pukers, bleeders, weepers, terrible attitudes, and paint splattered everywhere. I went through more clorox wipes and alcohol swabs and hand sanitizer than I ever have in my life, and that's all I will say on the subject :tmi

Gosh, us too! Rainstorm, kids' behavior gone haywire, EMT vehicle even had to come b/c a kid had a seizure (she'd never had one before). It was the most out-of-control day in recent memory. Something in the air, or too much Valentines Day celebrating... who knows?

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
My goodness, wow! Ruth and Kitty, I don't know how you make it! Seizures, pukers, bleeders... You two must be strong women to be teachers. It's certainly not a job cut out for me! I'd go crazy!

So the poetry contest I mentioned a few days ago has entered the voting phase. Ambrosia, the one putting on the contest, has expressed a wish for me to spread the word here to get more voters involved. So if any of you don't mind, would any of you pop on over to the Poetry Critique and cast your votes? There are 26 poems, each under 300 words. You can find them under the title: DREAMS, VISIONS, OR NIGHTMARES Contest Entries--Read & Vote!

Thanks guys! :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
My goodness, wow! Ruth and Kitty, I don't know how you make it! Seizures, pukers, bleeders... You two must be strong women to be teachers. It's certainly not a job cut out for me! I'd go crazy!

So the poetry contest I mentioned a few days ago has entered the voting phase. Ambrosia, the one putting on the contest, has expressed a wish for me to spread the word here to get more voters involved. So if any of you don't mind, would any of you pop on over to the Poetry Critique and cast your votes? There are 26 poems, each under 300 words. You can find them under the title: DREAMS, VISIONS, OR NIGHTMARES Contest Entries--Read & Vote!

Thanks guys! :)

There are some nice ones on there. It was an interesting read. I've got my top four picks; just narrowing down, now.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Halllooooooo! Happy long weekend of bouncings to all! I'm skiing and I have a four day weekend, but I have to take a test so it won't be ever so festive.

Today I went back to visit the 2nd graders that I miss so much (my school has a split campus, upper elementary and lower elementary, so I haven't seen them for a while). They were very cute and excited, and I was ever so happy to see them. One girl who is the little sister of the boy in the class I wrote The Return of the Jedi's Homework story for, was going on and on about how much she liked my story, and how did I get the idea for it, and I was like AH YES I SHALL BASK IN THE GLOW OF MY FIRST ADORING FAN HERE IN THE SCHOOL CAFETERIA (pizza day, nom nom). I got my fill of stupid second grade jokes and breathless excitement about class tadpoles and appallingly snotty noses and then I had to go back to work!

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry I haven't popped in to say thanks for the cat well-wishes. He's doing fine, although I think he's going to hate me pretty soon because he does not seem to enjoy my poking him twice a day. It's not as hard as I thought, and the needle is tiny, so I'm good.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. Kitty, I'm so jealous, I really miss skiing.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I'm feeling pretty bouncy. My birthday's on Wednesday, and my husband will have to work then, but he's taken Tuesday off as well as Monday, so we're in a four day weekend! He started it off by letting me sleep in for two hours, and when I got up, he had somehow managed to make chocolate chip pancakes with the toddler's assistance.

I've started my first of the five-book ghostwriting gig, and it's super action-oriented, boy-centric, which is so good for pushing me in ways I wouldn't naturally go on my own.

AND, I've just sent off my first chunk of pages of my new WIP to my first reader. (Thanks Sheila! :hi:)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, Joy! Sheila is one AWESOME beta. (even if I don't always want to admit she's right...)

I forgot a cute Valentine's story for y'all. I had my first graders write about who they would give a valentine to, and why. Most were pretty predictable: My mom because I love her, My friend because she plays with me. But at the bottom of the pile, I found this one:

I would give a valentine to ron weasley and hermione granger because they are my best friends.