Favorite Short Fiction Genres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
What are your favorite short fiction genres to read or write about?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I love reading just about every genre. I rad a ton of mystery, SF, fantasy, literary, and you name it. I write in most genres, as well.

I have made pretty decent money writing short stories, but for me, writing short stories is more for fun than anything else, so just as I read widely, I write whatever tickles my imagination at the moment.

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
Obviously, mythology with erotic elements. Also enjoy the erotic comedy and erotic mystery. If I'm reading short fiction, I want a quick, enjoyable, sexy read.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Science fiction. Streets ahead of anything else I read or write :).

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly horror.

I've tried reading some Steampunk shorts recently, but haven't been particularly grabbed by anything I've come across so far.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Science fiction and horror. I'll read and write others, but for short fiction this does seem to be my preference.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
My favorites for reading have always been science fiction and speculative fiction. I started out reading Asimov, Heinlein, and Clarke. When it comes to writing, however, I don't really have a favorite.

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
Horror, anything dark or macabre. And erotica. For me intense reads are more enjoyable in bite-sized portions.

Bolder

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite short story genre is Ray Bradbury. =)

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
I do tend to think anything speculative (horror, sci-fi, fantasy) lends itself really well to short stories. Particularly horror, which I far prefer in short form rather than long.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Horror, but right now mystery has all my attention. I'd never really read any mystery shorts, and I can't believe what I've been missing out on.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Mystery, because when I sell one I can pay off a large bill or two.

Or pay the taxes on my second home. (Okay, I need to sell two stories to do that.)

They d pay rather well, don't they? I just wish there were more mystery markets out there.

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to like straight erotica and straight comedy more when it's short fiction. I think it works best that way. But when you add a lot of complexity to them, you want them to last longer, so I get aggravated if it's too short. Like with mystery. You want it to lead you on a long, wild ride, but I guess if it hooks me like that, it's doing it's job.

Unsavory

Registered
Reaction score
Genre doesn't matter too much to me when it comes to short stories, but I'd prefer something literary and poignant to something that's just a simple adventure story. On that note, I suppose fantasy isn't my favorite genre for short stories, but I do enjoy fantasy novels because there is so much more time to delve into the characters and world. I look to short stories hoping to be wowed by an interesting thought, since a few minutes of entertainment (versus hours with a novel) doesn't mean that much to me.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
I like reading science fiction, fantasy, and horror, but will sometimes read mysteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.