• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

DellArte Press (formerly Harlequin Horizons)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
*imagine a phone call between writer and agent (it's imaginary, so said phone call can happen)*

Writer: Here is my book. Help me find a publisher.

*Agent picks up bound book with cover and the HH imprint logo on the side.*

Agent: This book has been published already.

Writer: I know. I published it so I could get an agent and get it published, so...

Agent: But this book has been published already. There's an ISBN on it.

Writer: That came with the cover, makes it look official doesn't it?

Agent: It is official. It's been published.

Writer: Just imagine how it will look once it's been sold to a publisher and...

Agent: But it's already published. Why would a publisher buy something that's already published?

Writer: I published it to get a bound copy so I could show the publishers how it would look published.

Agent: I can't sell something that's already been published as a new book.

Writer (getting angry): Just do your job! I published that so I could get an agent to sell it to a publisher! You're an agent, so sell it!

Agent: There's nothing to sell, first rights are gone.

Writer: No they're not! I published it, so those rights are mine!

Agent: .....

*Hangs up phone*

*Author buys another copy of her book to send to another agent who hopefully knows more about how publishing works than the first one and will sell her published book to a publisher*

(Add to this that the author would be assuming the book would go to press as-is without editing or alteration of any kind, and that the title would stay the same, and that the cover... *head asplodes*)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
(Add to this that the author would be assuming the book would go to press as-is without editing or alteration of any kind, and that the title would stay the same, and that the cover... *head asplodes*)

"head asplodes?" That's an image I wish you hadn't brought up but it's truly funny. Anyway, thanks to you, we have explodes, implodes, and now asplodes (presumably from where it's located)! Hey, that makes it a twofer (pun intended)!

Mags

hanging out in near-permanent lurkdom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tilneysandtrapdoors.com
Slipping out of near-permanent lurkdom to comment.

How much of the jaw-dropping stuff (such as the $20,000 movie trailer OMG how stupid) is Harlequin and how much of it is AuthorHouse? Is this just AuthorHouse's stuff repackaged and slapped with the Harlequin name?

This is not to let Harlequin off the hook. They've stepped in big doo-doo here. But I think they were sold a bill of goods by AuthorHouse and didn't think it through carefully. I hope they can back out of it. They would be smart to do so.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Head asplodes! You just gave me an idea for my Nano. Actually it was an idea I had a long time ago, but I forgot about it. Someone's head is in trouble. :D

The trailer is Authorhouse.

http://www.authorhouse.com/Services/Marketing/Video/Hollywood.aspx

As far as I can tell, the whole thing is Authorhouse through and through. The packages are a little different, but if you bought things ala carte, you could get the same features. Authorhouse actually has more features and options on their site. And weirdly, 10 million e-mails on the Harlequin site is $11,995 and ten million e-mails on the Authorhouse site is $9,996. The only reason I can think for this is that they are planning to spam Harlequin's database, which would definitely be worth a little more money.

Last edited:

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
And the weasel wording begins. Have they been taking lessons from PA?

A bound copy for an agent?!

If a few bound copies for gifts are the issue, Lulu would be considerably cheaper.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Actually I'm seeing something like this....

Hi! This is my first post here, I'm the author of flaming Torrid Passion She Never Wanted that was published by Harlequin last year. I sold 36 copies and it only cost $27,000 dollars! Anyway I'm ready to start in on my second book, how did you guys get the money to publish more books when the equity in your house ran out?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How much of the jaw-dropping stuff (such as the $20,000 movie trailer OMG how stupid) is Harlequin and how much of it is AuthorHouse? Is this just AuthorHouse's stuff repackaged and slapped with the Harlequin name?
Waidaminnit. Book trailer? $20,000?!

*checks site*

:Jaw:

I don't even watch book trailers on YouTube when somebody cranks one out with iMovie for $75 because I don't go looking for them.

My opinion of the entire venture slips lower with each passing click on this forum...
Actually I'm seeing something like this....

Hi! This is my first post here, I'm the author of flaming Torrid Passion She Never Wanted that was published by Harlequin last year. I sold 36 copies and it only cost $27,000 dollars! Anyway I'm ready to start in on my second book, how did you guys get the money to publish more books when the equity in your house ran out?
"Actually, you might want to submit your second book to my publisher Publish America. They're a traditional publisher that pays regular royalties and I didn't have to pay them a penny! Except $49 for the editing mistakes that showed up in the author's proof that I'm not sure were mine or not. And the 900 number you have to call for customer service. And the per-book shipping charge when you order books for your book signings. But otherwise, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY A THING!"

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just cannot believe this isn't some sort of April Fool's joke.

Someone tell me it is.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
*headdesk*

"A bound copy to help in finding an agent."

Are they really being serious right now? Imagine the #queryfail days, when agency assistants' desks are covered with *bound* *published* books...just think of what the agents' commentary will be then!

Yep. I need to follow on those days.

I had a really good laugh at that line.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect the weasel-wording comes from Author Solutions, and not from Harlequin.

I agree that this new imprint has The Stamp Of The Corporate Bean-Counter all over it.

And I know from loooong experience that a lot of the people who work in mainstream publishing don't know much about vanity publishing. They know the name, and they know that some people self-publish too: but they couldn't, easily, describe the differences between the two, or explain exactly how vanity publishing is so unpleasant. They just don't know. So if a vanity publisher approaches them and says, "Oh, no, we're not vanity publishers, we're self-publishers," those mainstream folks are likely to nod and smile, and take them at their word.

Which is probably why things like this happen. Especially when the economy is in such crisis, sales people are in charge, and editorial divisions have been reduced to a skeleton staff.

And now I shall stop ranting, and go and have a much-needed cup of tea as even in my house it's not quite late enough in the evening for a gin, despite such extreme circumstances.

Mags

hanging out in near-permanent lurkdom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tilneysandtrapdoors.com
Waidaminnit. Book trailer? $20,000?!

Oh, it's better. It's not a BOOK trailer. It's a MOVIE trailer to show to movie studios who might want to buy the rights!!!!!

Does your book have Hollywood potential?

You worked hard on your manuscript and took the necessary steps to have it published. Now, you can see your work come to life in a live-action Hollywood Book Trailer. With experienced actors and Hollywood producers, your video will be a high-quality piece that you’ll be proud to show off.
In addition, AuthorHouse will submit your work to a professional agent who will review your Hollywood Book Trailer and decide whether or not to represent it to movie production studios and other entertainment companies.

para

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a chance for a second-tier romance publisher to break into the first tier.
I could be wrong but I have not heard of one. There's Harlequin...and well Harlequin. They are certainly the only romance publisher who publishes monthly books. There are some mainstream publishers who publish romance lines but it isn't their main focus, and frankly Harlequin has got the monthly market cornered. It will be very difficult for another company to break in. I know that Headline/Little Black dress were doing short books - they may have been monthly but I haven't seen many of those around. I'm not sure how they are doing. IIRC they were more chick lit lite/blaze than anything and that isn't where all the money is in the romance market.

I just cannot believe this isn't some sort of April Fool's joke.

Someone tell me it is.
I keep thinking the same thing. I'm sure we're going to wake up tomorrow and it will all have been a dream...

Anyway I read elsewhere that some aspiring authors who were rejected were redirected to this little self publishing effort.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I believe in one of the press releases I read today it stated that rejections would now include the encouragement to consider H. Horizons program for the rejected material.

Susan G.

I have a full out with an editor. I don't mind rejections. They're part of the business. But if I get a flyer encouraging me to pay-to-play I am going to super pissed. If I wanted to mortgage my house to publish a book, I never would have sought out trade publication. I would find it uber-insulting.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Does anyone know how existing Harlequin authors feel about this latest venture?

Reaction score
I have a full out with an editor. I don't mind rejections. They're part of the business. But if I get a flyer encouraging me to pay-to-play I am going to super pissed. If I wanted to mortgage my house to publish a book, I never would have sought out trade publication. I would find it uber-insulting.
I once had a rejection (from an agent, not Harlequin. I've never subbed to them and never would) which included a postcard advertising one of the agent's clients' latest books. That in itself was insult enough, but this?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com

I don't blame you one bit. I would, too. And do.

Susan G.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
As much as Harlequin keeps insisting that readers won't be confused between the Horizons books won't be confused with Harlequin's real imprints, what's to stop a Horizons author from publicizing that they've published a Harlequin book? Nothing. And in a warped way, they'd be telling the truth.

I'm surprised their trademark attorneys aren't throwing fits right now. If Harlequin goes through with this, they'll definitely lose control over their brand.

jensoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.athenagrayson.com
Jane over at Dear Author has just posted a request for differentiation between self- and vanity-publishing. Malle Vallik of Harlequin is on the thread attempting to answer questions. I have sympathy for her--I don't think she expected such a sh!tstorm.

But apparently, according to her (quoted from comment #18):
Malle: A writer receiving a standard reject letter will find a line included about self publishing. The writer, if she wants, can then contact HH. The writer will never be cold-called or contacted unless she has opted in.

So given the choice of taking a risk (no matter how small or calculated) on an author (no matter how well known or unknown) via traditional lines, or letting the author front the costs of production via this venture and possibly snapping it up if the numbers do well enough (at no risk whatsoever to HQ)...which do we think the bean-counters will choose?

Something's rotten in Romancelandia.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Malle: A writer receiving a standard reject letter will find a line included about self publishing.

No, they don't have to cold call people. They just advertise it in the rejection.

They crush the dreams of an aspiring writer (for dramatic effect, bear with me) who has done no research other than reading, who has no clue about how publishing works, who has never seen a contract or would even think of having an attorney look at one, and who sees Harlequin as the only publisher of romance. And then Harlequin sells that dream back to them at an inflated price.

It's going to be as profitable as it seems unethical.

Last edited: