Status
Not open for further replies.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I'm not sure if where this belongs, but I wanted to share this story with you guys.

See, I wrote this series of linked novellas that are alternate history, and I dedicated the book to my old history professor, because 1) he was an awesome professor, and 2) one of his classes was a kind of alternate history.

So when Tor sent me my author copies, I mailed a signed copy to my old history professor. He emailed me right away to say that when he read the dedication, tears came to his eyes. He was absolutely thrilled.

And hearing about his happiness made me so very happy.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that is so awesome!! Kudos to you.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lovely! Thanks for telling about that here. :Thumbs:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
That's great! Isn't that feeling the best? :D

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Thanks, guys! He was really an amazing prof. I remember I was terrified of him when I was a freshman, but I knew his classes were outstanding. He's the reason I went from thinking "History, meh" to "History, WOW!"

I gotta make a point of visiting him and the college again before another year goes by.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if where this belongs, but I wanted to share this story with you guys.

See, I wrote this series of linked novellas that are alternate history, and I dedicated the book to my old history professor, because 1) he was an awesome professor, and 2) one of his classes was a kind of alternate history.

So when Tor sent me my author copies, I mailed a signed copy to my old history professor. He emailed me right away to say that when he read the dedication, tears came to his eyes. He was absolutely thrilled.

And hearing about his happiness made me so very happy.

That's wonderful. Well done you, and what a lovely Prof.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I remember I used to be terrified of him, back when I was a freshman. (Terrified, in that "OMG I respect this man so much but he is so very demanding and will I do well enough" kind of way.) Then a few years back, my college invited me to give a talk about writing and publishing, and the person organizing the event took me out to dinner with my old professor. At the end, my professor and I hugged.

I think what I'm saying is that if you have people who inspired you with your writing, let them know.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, eqb.

I had an English prof like that, but he's passed away; I like to hope he knows how much he was appreciated.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool. I wish my inspirational HS teacher were alive to read my next dedication, which will feature her.

Status
Not open for further replies.