Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I know... only a month until hell begins again, this summer went waaaayyyyy to fast.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently working on my spreadsheet outline for Underdogs. I'm having slightly more luck with it than the chapter notes for Suns and Stars.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
i just had to go back oldschool to handwritting my plots! I forgot to upload my "Outline" file to Dropbox, so to continue to outline/figure things out in my head i'm writing it all down on paper... I feel like i'm 15 again!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. Trying to come up with a not-stupid way to kill my villain in Lifelike.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Ari.

I wish my book on characters was available on the Kindle. I'm planning on reading it once I start focusing on Underdogs, just to make sure the characters are okay, and it's not small enough to carry round with me easily.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, i need to figure out the ending of this damn book!!! He doesnt actually die... but he is left pretty freaking mangled... leaving him unable to have the ghost like abilities he has now and preventing him from continuing his killing spree... but i just can figure out how they are going to mangle him...

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
What's the book, Lisa? Out of curiosity.

Ally, mine actually has to die. And then the rest of them get to keep his floating sky island. My secondary antagonist has a nice mental breakdown, which works out pretty well considering he's been less than sane for the rest of the novel as well. It's just the main bad guy who needs to DIE. Teehee.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Ely.

Parametric said:
I am now imparting to you the deepest, darkest secrets of the obsessive plotter.

The best part of a spreadsheet is that it can record anything you want. If you want to see whether your subplots all get equal screentime, you can use a spreadsheet. If you want to see whether you forgot to describe certain locations, you can use a spreadsheet. And so on.

This is roughly how I use spreadsheets, although they are, as I said, infinitely customisable.

The first column is for the parts of a three-act structure. Act one (introduction to the characters, the world and the story, inciting incident occurs, and things start going wrong); act one turning point (everything goes dramatically wrong leading to a crisis); act two (in trying to fix the previous crisis, the protagonist makes things worse); act two turning point (everything goes dramatically wrong leading to an even worse crisis); black moment (lowest possible moment at which all seems lost for the protagonist); act three (the protagonist is now moving inexorably toward a confrontation with the antagonist that seems impossible to win); climax (somehow the protagonist beats the antagonist); resolution (tying up of loose ends).

The second column is for chapters, or scenes, depending on how detailed you want to get. Each is assigned to the appropriate part of the structure. For example, if chapter twenty is the black moment, you move across from the black moment and enter chapter twenty. By this stage you can see approximately how many chapters are devoted to each act. If act one is thirty chapters long while acts two and three are both five chapters, you probably have too much setup in act one.

The third column is for the main plot. In our black moment, chapter twenty, the protagonist hits their lowest point and it seems impossible for them to continue. Let's say that they've, oops, accidentally nuked their home planet. That's what you enter across from chapter twenty. Here you're making sure that you have all the relevant parts of the structure. If you're missing an act two climax, which probably means the story is massively bogged down in the middle with nothing happening, you have nothing to put in the appropriate box. The function of the three-act structure is to remind you to (a) put in regular big dramatic climaxes, (b) keep upping the levels of drama and tension, and (c) keep lowering the apparent chance of the protagonist ever succeeding in their goal. This applies to protagonists who want to win the girl of their dreams (for example) as much as it does to protagonists who want to save the world using the MacGuffin, or whatever. The further the story progresses, the more hopeless it should seem.

Columns four through whatever are for subplots. This shows you whether your subplots are following the approximate shape of the dramatic structure. Subplots should rise and fall in tension roughly as the main plot does: as everything is going wrong in the main plot, so the subplots are going wrong too, amplifying the feeling of desperation.

That's basic spreadsheet plotting. You can see at a glance what main plot and subplots are present, how they each develop, whether there are dramatic crises in all the right place, etc.

The fun part of this spreadsheet is using it to fix your problems. Let's say you have major backstory issues. You think your backstory might be all bunched up in big exposition-heavy chapters. You can create an extra column for backstory, and go down the chapter list recording what backstory you mentioned in each chapter. If you have a bunch of blank boxes (no backstory in these chapters) followed by a huge one (tons of backstory in one chapter) you can see at a glance that the backstory needs to be spread out more evenly.

Or let's say you want to ensure that you're putting in all the necessary scenery description. You create a column for locations, and note down what location each scene or chapter takes place in, and how you described it. If you didn't describe a location, you have nothing to put in the box. The blank box reminds you that you missed out some scenery description. When you flesh out the scene with scenery description, you put that in the box.

Please use your new powers for good, not evil.

Last edited:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Chapter 1 is NOT outlined. I need to think of a situation - emotionally - for Carla that fits with the 'underdog/zero-to-hero' themes and add that into the spreadsheet. Her transformation in other words. Which leads to a question:

As readers, would it annoy you if two characters had similar character arcs?

Ari: I'll check when I'm upstairs - it's currently on my bookshelf. :)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. So in this case: Matthew is a clumsy geek (well, he's always a geek) at the beginning, and a hero at the end (think Mr. Longbottom). Carla, at the beginning, feels out of place, lonely and disregarded because she's a half-werewolf, but by the end, she feels like she has somewhere to belong (not sure if it's literally or metaphorically yet). This is over three books. Too similar or not?

The title of the book you were asking after is CHARACTERS, EMOTION AND VIEWPOINT by Nancy Kress

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's too similar. I mean, it's somewhat alike, but the goals are prettymuch different enough that I think you can get away with.

Must check if my library has that one...

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
You know writing everything on paper is actually really helping me right now...

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. So in this case: Matthew is a clumsy geek (well, he's always a geek) at the beginning, and a hero at the end (think Mr. Longbottom). Carla, at the beginning, feels out of place, lonely and disregarded because she's a half-werewolf, but by the end, she feels like she has somewhere to belong (not sure if it's literally or metaphorically yet). This is over three books. Too similar or not?

I don't even think those two arcs are all that similar so...no. I think you're fine.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I loathe writing on paper. Other than for outlining and brainstorming. I'm okay with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.