The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
To blog or not to blog, that is the question.

Um...nice to 'meet' you.
People usually say 'hello' before they post blog links without an introduction.

Just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I may or may not be off to Vegas today and may or may not be meeting up with a certain Purgie.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Um...nice to 'meet' you.
People usually say 'hello' before they post blog links without an introduction.

Just sayin'.

+1 yes it is usualy customary to say HI before going all "Click my link!!!"

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning all.

Dragon and Rick, have fun. :)

Hugs to KT and everyone else who wants/needs one.

Also, thirding Fire. "Hello, my name is..." tags can be found at the bar, right next to the pitcher of mimosas.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm positively freezing this morning. Bundled up in the sweater WD made for me, cup of tea in hand and still kind of chilly. Must be time for fingerless gloves.

Oh and I'm finally putting stuff onto my YA lit teaching blog, which is fun, if a bit weird, since it's linked to my real name instead of anything writing-related. I guess as far as piles of homework go, it could be worse than writing about a ton of fun books. ;)

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
It's snowing. Vigorously. This has a look of a keeper-snow. Intended to go for a long walk first thing, but now I feel thwarted. I don't have my winter mojo yet.

NIYRAK, do you still have your pup? You're going to have a busy house, which might be the way you like it. (How are your son and ex doing?)

lwalker, this book appears to be flying out of you.

Maryn, snerk! (In reference to Menstrual Krampus.) WRT writing, it will happen for you.

Dragon, have fun. I like that tagline. Of a similar vein, but maybe too long:

Where sass and story collide.

A literary sasscast.

Putting the sass into literary podcasts.

where we're serious about story, but everything else is fair game.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Dys, my middle school teacher friend thinks that YA lit project could be a lot of help for teachers. She's working on a thing for student teachers, so guide projects came up. Keep up the good work.

Can't compete with Haupe's snow, but it did mist or something this morning. The cars and stuff are wet.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Dys, my middle school teacher friend thinks that YA lit project could be a lot of help for teachers. She's working on a thing for student teachers, so guide projects came up. Keep up the good work.

That's really cool! I kind of feel like I'm only scratching on the surface, since I'm just starting to get some ideas out there. It's definitely going to be a work in progress, but I love how more and more teachers are getting excited about sharing YA books with their students, so maybe this will be helpful for some people. :)

Anyway, my brain is fried, so I'm off to bed.

Here's hoping I won't dream of Plague Rats. :tongue

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight we are going to see Melanie. You 'youngsters' may not remember her, but everybody my age knows her stuff. Mr. Maryn and I decided maybe a decade ago that we would see the icons of our generation when we could, and she counts.

We do find it depressing to see how badly some of those icons have aged, not really offset by how very well others have. I don't expect every singer to have the pipes at 65 s/he had at 30, of course. But I kind of expect them to have taken care of themselves, eaten and exercised well enough for someone their age, and gotten decent clothing and haircuts. Some have not. (Are you listening, Yes?)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, even though a review online says Melanie's voice is now a bit rough.

Maryn, old folks

Elisabetta

Watching the world go by
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethloupas.com
Tonight we are going to see Melanie. You 'youngsters' may not remember her, but everybody my age knows her stuff. Mr. Maryn and I decided maybe a decade ago that we would see the icons of our generation when we could, and she counts.

We do find it depressing to see how badly some of those icons have aged, not really offset by how very well others have. I don't expect every singer to have the pipes at 65 s/he had at 30, of course. But I kind of expect them to have taken care of themselves, eaten and exercised well enough for someone their age, and gotten decent clothing and haircuts. Some have not. (Are you listening, Yes?)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, even though a review online says Melanie's voice is now a bit rough.

Maryn, old folks

Brand New Key! I'd love to see her in person.

Wasn't Brand New Key featured in a commercial recently? Can't remember anything else about it, because of course my memory's shot, being so old....... :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn, old folks

maryn, no youngster here, but having a blank moment; did she sing 'i rode my bicycle past your window last night, i roller skated to you door at midnight ...'? i always thought the song was so catchy.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
It's misting. With coffee in hand, I stood outside and reveled in it.

Cricket, soaking, but happy as a clam.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's her. What fine memories you ladies have! That's "Brand New Key," although I like "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" best of the ones I know.

Anyway, apparently she's led a very interesting life and a playwright has created a drama which is also a musical showcase for her best-known songs. It debuted last night. (Why here? No idea.)

Now I just don't know what to wear! (Oh, like it matters what I'm wearing in a darkened theatre, right?)

Maryn, deciding between hippie clothes and not

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's her. What fine memories you ladies have! That's "Brand New Key," although I like "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" best of the ones I know.

I love 'Lay Down' and also 'Peace will Come'. I certainly remember Melanie. I love her voice. Very distinctive.

Cake

Registered
Reaction score

Maryn, old folks

I don't know her (and I looked her up and everything). Think it's a great idea to see your generations icons though, I would totally go hippy if it was me ;)

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon!!

Book 3 went off to my agent for feedback before I left on vacation so I am currently working on my YA. So much fun to be working on something that has no deadline.

This week I got invited to a church book group to talk about W!DE 0P3N, which turned out to be a lot of fun. Everyone of them said they were not SFF readers, but loved the book (do you hear that universe? And universe's bookstores?). And not one of them mentioned the swearing (of which there is quite a lot in the book).

One of them said that he grew up in northern NE and the relationship between the MC and her father made him feel like I must know that region really well (this kind of feedback always makes me deliriously happy) They invited me to come back to their meeting next month when they're going to be reading a book about pie (and where there will be actual pie!)

Hope everyone is having a great day. Have fun at the concert Maryn! It is gloomy and coolish here so I am off to take a dog for a walk.

Deb

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Haupe!!! As always you came through with some awesome ideas. I sent them on to my producer. :)

I spent the day with Rick and Lynne and had a fabulous time! Both such lovely people. I'll reduce a pic and post tomorrow unless Rick beats me. :)

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Dragon- yay for the purgie meet-up!

My father has been running around all weekend excited about all the football games. Which means he's been really loud. Which means I have been able to do no writing at all. :(

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for rain, Cricket!

Glad you had fun, Maryn.

That sounds like a great event, Billie. I wish books didn't get stuck into categories -- the intent is to help readers find books, but it often keeps them away.

Well, I went to that super hipster wedding yesterday. It was really fun even though I didn't know anyone at all, and I had initial doubts.The girls looked like there were on HBO's Girls and the guys looked like they were in alt bands. The bride is a model/artist, and I was a little freaked out to find out she went to my high school -- 20 years after me. And she just sold one of her college senior projects -- a picture book she sold to HarperCo11ins.

Really, universe? What are the odds that an avant-garde 23-year-old artist would be more successful than me in writing books for small children?

Oh well, we can tour our hometown together someday.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morn' purgys.

Back from the mountains I love. I really need to move there. We did finally sell our lil' farm cottage and an acre with it, but will keep the
<----barn and back acres. We'll close next month, so... who knows.

Yesterday, I enjoyed a quiet birthday, and also celebrated my book's 3rd edition bday by uploading it back to all the sell sites.

And, I love fall, that is all. =D

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning Purgs!

Maryn, I hope you went for the hippie clothes. :D

Kell, as far as weddings go that one sounded like...fun, I guess. And that's kind of crazy. If it is any consolation, of all writing-related things, picture books are something I personally couldn't ever write convincingly. :tongue May your new shiny agent get new shiny deals for you and then you can totally do that tour! :D

Yay, LRB for mountains, fall and all kinds of sales. Fingers crossed. :)

I stayed home from work last night and will the next two days, because I can and hey, apparently my body is using getting sick as a method of blackmail to get me to take a break. Or focus on all those homework deadlines. Anyway. I shall live in my London Underground hoodie today and sip all the tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.