MaNoWriMo

Julie.G.

Registered
Reaction score
Who is up for March as a writing month?

I'm going for the 50 000 words because I really need some 'brainless-writing'. I have been thinking about the how's/who's/where's... way to much! I want to give this a go. Hopefully I won't be alone :)

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Mano?

We have to hand write this time? :D

UGH! Once I'm done, I won't be able to read what I wrote!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've already booked March as a studying month, but I'll be here. My semester starts on March 3rd, so I imagine I'll be doing a buttload of reading for the month. Going to at least *try* to get ahead of the game this semester, but I'm not holding my breath.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm game. I've been roughing out the details for the novel I had intended to write for NaNo 2013 (I ended up writing something else instead), and was thinking I needed a kick in the pants to get it going. I believe I'll be ready to start writing on March 1st.

Julie.G.

Registered
Reaction score
Sweet!! Glad to hear I won’t be the only one!

What do I have to decide in advance to have a smooth MaNoWriMo? Any suggestions?

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I'm definitely in. I'm not sure specifically what target I'll shoot for in March, but I want a first draft (50kish) by the end of April.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
What do I have to decide in advance to have a smooth MaNoWriMo? Any suggestions?

My two cents. :)

*Have your goals mapped out and ready to go on or before March 1st. Knowing what you want to accomplish ahead of time will make it a lot easier.
*Know your word count goal, if you choose to have one, and calculate to see how much you will need to write each day to reach it. I suggest setting your daily goal at slightly above this amount just in case you have some off days (example: if it were a 30-day month and you were going for 50k, you would need a minimum of 1667 words a day to meet your goal; I suggest rounding that up to 2k per day).
*Know what you're going to write if you're not a good pantser. If you need some sort of structure, take the next few days to do some planning in as much or as little detail as you would like.
*Rewarding yourself for reaching your daily goal can also help some people. :)

Hope some of this is helpful. :)

~Amber~

France

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing this the other day. I guess that means I'm in.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I may do this. I'm generally not a fast writer, but I'm really hoping to get my first draft done faster this time around. (First drafts for me have taken from 1-4 years!) Even if I could get to 30k or so, I'd be feeling pretty good.

Julie.G.

Registered
Reaction score
Join the club!!!

And thank you Amber for the good advice!!! I'm working on it! I'm still making some last call decisions about the word count. I just can’t decide if I will stretch it out to two or maybe three months.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's March 1st where I am, so I'm going to make my official goals. :)

1. Get ahead of the game with my Uni reading.
2. Keep on top of all the homework.

That's it for me, I think. :) University outranks my desire to write or edit, unfortunately...

Last edited:

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Right it's March here too now. Time to set a target. :)

I'm aiming for 25k this month. Not as much as normal Nano, but I want to hit the best of both worlds - I'm hoping to produce something a little more salvageable than my last Nano endeavour.

Julie.G.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm aiming for 1k each day. It will probably be a three-month experience for me. That's the advantage of doing a NaNoWriMo in the middle of the year! :)

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. I've got a novella I want to write this month. I'm hoping to hit around 20K, or more.

My goal is 650 words a day. :)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Goal:
* Two MS read
* Pick one, do the Beta Swap submission
* One MS roughly edited and ready for the 15th
* That MS edited (or mostly edited) by the end of the month.

I've got a week's vacation, but I'm going to lose a ton of time to Robotics for competition season... The first two goals are really the blinking neon goals for the month.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Goals for March :)

*Stay on top of school work and not die during finals week (is it really that soon already?! What happened to the term?!)
*Finish that last scholarship application
*Read at least 3 books not including the giant stack of books for my English paper on the floor...
*Write at least 5k
*Finish at least 5 of my DayZero goals
*Play video games

And I'm going to leave it at that... I'm kinda pushing it since for the last week of the month I'm off to Los Angeles for spring break. :) Who knows what will happen :tongue

~Amber~

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd be ready to start writing today, but instead I'm in editing mode and my interest in starting the "different genre" book has waned. So I think I'm going to aim to:

1) Edit at least 10k from the second book in my series (as per the AW Editing Month Extravaganza)

2) Continue working on book three. I may set myself a word count goal later but right now I've got an awful lot on my plate and just don't know what the next week or two will bring.

3) Participate in the Return of the Beta Project.

4) Do some reading for my own enjoyment.

5) Bake some bread!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The bread baking, it has commenced.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* Had a bad day yesterday which left me with an all-day headache and I didn't get anything done. Meh.

Then I threw up on the bus this morning! >.> The bus driver seemed pleased that I had enough sense to get my friend to run to the front of the bus to grab the garbage can for me so I didn't get anything on the seats... Also meh.

On the plus side, after a weekend of hitting the refresh button I finally have seats in all of the classes I want to take next term. :D I'm taking the third course in the intro to the English major series, Japanese 103, fitness yoga (I REALLY need to have some sort of exercise...), and (my personal favorite) Modern American Superhero. :D It's nice going to a school where comics classes actually count toward your major requirements. The professor is one of my favorites, too, so it should be a lot of fun.

I'm going to go nibble on some crackers so my stomach will stop hating me... (This is why I don't like the fact that the bus doesn't run back to my hometown until 2 pm once I'm here... It's 11:12 am right now and I got here a little before 9:30... No buses. At all. It's ridiculous.)

~Amber~

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
*sigh* Had a bad day yesterday which left me with an all-day headache and I didn't get anything done. Meh.

Then I threw up on the bus this morning! >.> The bus driver seemed pleased that I had enough sense to get my friend to run to the front of the bus to grab the garbage can for me so I didn't get anything on the seats... Also meh.

:Hug2:

Got some done today. Had a morning of "Ugh this is terrible", but reread some and it wasn't that bad. My biggest worry is the first chapter... I can't get it to flow properly and I've got to have the first five hundred words or so perfect by mid-March for a little something I'm doing.

Right, going to make a cup of tea shortly and go do some more work. One thousand words a day isn't all that - but balancing perfectionism and productivity sure is a pain.