AugNoWriMo!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Vamp, I've heard of Chabon's book, but never read it. Glad to hear it's a good read. :) I've actually read a WWII graphic novel recently for my Life Writing class - Art Spiegelman's "The Complete Maus". It was interesting. :)

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I have been doing nothing of importance except reading. Anyone read Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay? It was referenced in a book I was reading for research for my comics studies class last term, and I'm absolutely loving it. It's like half comic book-related and half WWII drama. I'm really enjoying it.

/snip

Yes, I have read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay! It was a few years back, and I'm fuzzy on my remembrance of some of the details (The Mysteries of Pittsburgh has stuck with me better), but I do remember really enjoying it, and the style. The details Chabon focuses on in all of his books are pretty great!

Vamp, I've heard of Chabon's book, but never read it. Glad to hear it's a good read. :) I've actually read a WWII graphic novel recently for my Life Writing class - Art Spiegelman's "The Complete Maus". It was interesting. :)

Now, Maus I haven't read, and feel I've been neglectful. I've heard it's amazing,and I believe it's the first comic book/graphic novel to have won some kind of award (but I don't remember which one and it feels disingenuous to Google it).

Haven't progressed much further with the editing, though I'm currently chewing through Wonderland, by Stacy D'Erasmo. It caught my attention because it's a "rock star book" (though much more than that, obviously), and the book I'm editing is a "rock star book". I've really been enjoying it!

I'm also making progress on a new short story, so we'll see how easy that one writes to done.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It won the Pulitzer Prize according to the front cover of my copy. :)

In other news, I just edited out 90 words from my presentation speech thing. It's still slightly bloated (60 words over the 500 word limit) but that is good enough for me. I've already cut more than I wanted to, but eh - there's a 5-minute time limit for the speech, so stuff had to go. *shrug*

This is assignment 2, and then after I give the presentation tomorrow, there'll be a class discussion. I need to take notes, and then incorporate student comments into an essay-ish paper that I'll need to write on the same topic. The speech isn't graded, but the essay is, so yeah. Not too nervous about tomorrow. Fortunately, the essay is meant to be 1000 words, so I can likely throw back in some details I had to cut this morning. :)

Need to print it out, then I guess I'll go back to reading a book. I've got about 115 pages to go (I think?), so it's feasible that I'll finish it today, even though it'll be a family day for a good portion. Read about 150 pages of it yesterday. It's a tough read - it's a literary non-fiction book about a murder, the trials, and the families of murderer and victim. Kind of dark, which is why I keep reading 10 pages then putting it back down and doing something else for a few minutes.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Lots of studying to do today. Ugh. I'm so sick and tired of studying - I totally want to take a break.

Anyway, here's what I want to do, in terms of studying:
- Finish p. 7-10 (trust me, there's a lot of info on those pages)
- Finish p. 16-20 (earlier I started from page 10, and got to page 16 and that took me about 4 hours)
- Finish p. 20-23
- Study p. 1-7
- Study p. 33 - 42

Once I'm done with that, here are my writing goals for today:
- write a blog post about Robert The Doll (another creepy doll for my articles about haunted dolls)
- write a press release for a client
- write two reviews and one mini-review
- set up a sell sheet for Valentina and the Haunted Mansion and add it to my blog
- write 2k in Ghostslayer -> reach 14k words
- revise/edit the first chapter in "Necromancer"

I also have some marketing to do, and some editing, but I probably won't get around to that today.

Last edited:

Mallory

Registered
Reaction score
Got around a thousand words nailed in this weekend. Feeling pretty proud of myself since I was out all night at a concert, and basically forced myself to stay up and keep writing afterward anyway. :)

I expect to get more done this week, as I had some new insights the other night on stuff I was stuck on and really got the ball rolling.

PillBlast

Registered
Reaction score
It's so inspiring to see how people are achieving their goals. Great job everybody!:hooray:

I know I'm posting a bit after the month has started but here are my goals for august:
- write 7000 words a week (1000 words a day)
- 3 blog posts per week (should include an image)
- get up early in the morning to write before work. I currently have to get up at 6:15 anyway so I am aiming for 5:00 AM so I can get an hour of writing every morning. (I am setting myself up for failure with this goal, but one can hope)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Made about 1k yesterday, and have a writing session planned this afternoon. It's amazing how much less productive I am when it's not a Nano-month...

PillBlast, good luck on that third goal! I always tell myself I should, but my work schedule is not consistent and I love sleep way too much to make it work. Hope you can make it work for you!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, it's time to get down to business. I have three WIPs that I am close to finishing and I need to get them done soon, so I'm going to concentrate on those. Gonna go for at least 1,500 a day.

May our brains be sharp and our fingers nimble.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Your blessing did the trick Chompers, I am just packing up for the moment with 1.8k, and broke the 44K mark.

Up next I have an unplanned action scene, a minor character death, and THEN finally my mysterious character appears...

I might have to chip in a few more words tonight, because this is a busy spot.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Final got through preview week of my current production, catching a cold in the process. I think I'm mostly over it now, just in time for our gala opening tomorrow and press weekend approaching. Reading and writing time was therefore a little limited, but progress was made nonetheless:

1,576 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Up to page 185 in The King's Grave. Unfortunately, not liking it any better. :Shrug:

And sad about Robin Williams. :cry:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Gave my speech yesterday. Today I've listened to last week's sociology lecture (I have a clash and missed it in-person), and am now hoping to finish reading this book for Life Writing. 80 pages to go!

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'm a bit sad right now.

I am 13000 words in and lost the plot. Also my world isn't working so I needed to re-imagine certain things and that is completely changing my story.

Sigh.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Stress writing got me 2600 words between last night and this morning, so I'm riding the boost.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I am 13000 words in and lost the plot. Also my world isn't working so I needed to re-imagine certain things and that is completely changing my story.

Maybe take a step back and start looking at what parts of it you know and want, and add from there? You might just be trying to make too many things work at once.

I bought a planner and stickers to track my writing now that I don't have a snazzy nano-graph to obsess over. Any excuse to buy office supplies.

Yesterday put me over 44K. Let's see if I can do another K today....

ETA: 1.4ish K day so far today. That's pretty solid considering I drove down to spend the day with family.

Last edited:

matokah

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm a little bit late to the game, but I've been doing my own variant of NaNo this month already, so I figured I'd add my goals here too, if that's alright.

- Write 10,000 words of ANYTHING non-work related (currently at 5,595, if you count a 2200 word personal blog post...everything else is novel related)
- Tighten up some of my ideas for the new novel I'm working on so I don't write myself into a corner like I so often tend to do.

I really think that's it for now. I've just found myself getting out of a massive, years long writers block lately, so the fact that I'm writing consistently every day is thrilling me at the moment.

Hope everyone else's goals are going well too. Almost halfway there!

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've been terrible with my 25,000 - 30,000 word goal. So far I've gotten about 2,500 written :/

Although, I did get a first pass of edits done on several chapters at the beginning of the month, so I guess that makes me feel a little better.

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm late to this party, and I've never done any of these WriMo thingies. My goal was to finish 2nd draft edits by the end of this month. I'm up to chapter (17) out of (21) chapters and an epilogue. Another goal was to get my WIP down from 148k to 120k--or closer to 100k. I'm only down to 133k... Sigh.

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
Final got through preview week of my current production, catching a cold in the process. I think I'm mostly over it now, just in time for our gala opening tomorrow and press weekend approaching. Reading and writing time was therefore a little limited, but progress was made nonetheless:

1,576 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Up to page 185 in The King's Grave. Unfortunately, not liking it any better. :Shrug:

And sad about Robin Williams. :cry:

Good luck with the Gala! And been sad about Robin W, too. :(

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
There we go. For real 2K day, character death written.

If I was at home, I'd get to put TWO star stickers on the planner. Very exciting.

Lots of fun angsty stuff ahead, and I still haven't introduced the mysterious Mister Jones...

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Still stopped on the novel edit (strangely, it's where I stopped in the initial writing of the thing as well).

All right progress on the short story; I think, intellectually, I want to make it longer than a short story while it doesn't need or "want" to be longer.

And I'm reading My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff, which I also quite enjoy.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Maybe take a step back and start looking at what parts of it you know and want, and add from there? You might just be trying to make too many things work at once.

Thank you :)

Problem: It's the surrounding world... it's sci-fi and a future society and the whole world just didn't work. There were too many questions that I couldn't answer and that made the story unlikely and filled with plot holes.

I re-worked that world. Made it different. And now I need to adapt my story to that... and it made me want to cry.

17.058 words.
1 book.
0 blog posts.

PillBlast

Registered
Reaction score
My computer died. I am on my husbands old laptop and I still managed to get 1000 words done. Might have lost 15 000 if the hard drive is burnt.

Moral of the story: Back your stuff up!

I never managed to wake up early this week, but I have a good feeling about the word count. 6000 words to go and a whole weekend ahead.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've read about 115 pages of stuff for Uni today... I've got *one* reading left on my computer, plus a bunch of paper readings, but I'm zonked.

It doesn't help that my nose is all stuffed up and occasionally running... Stupid cold. So yeah - I think that will be all for the day.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got a few concentrated hours of writing under my belt - my first 1k day in a long time! August goals thus far:

2,586 words written (out of 10k goal for the month)
Up to page 207 in The King's Grave. Already thinking about what to read next.