SepNoWriMo!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome. :)

Meanwhile, it is freakin' freezing here this morning! I already went back to bed just to warm up a bit, and now I'm too awake and bored to lie in bed, so I've turned the computer on. But damn, it's COLD. Winter is supposed to be over! Go away, chills!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good day today. Got a fair amount of writing done and finished The Little House Cookbook; now I get to choose a new book to read. I have E.L. Doctorow's Billy Bathgate as well as biographies on Peggy Lee and the Huston family of Hollywood. Decisions, decisions...

Current WIP word count: 58,968 (goal: 76,764)
Books read: 1 out of 4
Blog posts: 0 out of 2

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Spent 2 hours reading for 1 class next week, and then went for a walk to try to figure out how to rewrite my major piece. I think I've figured out the bulk of the rewrite, and made some notes on it when I got home. :)

So about 2.5 hours for that subject today. I think it's almost time to switch to a different subject... I need to make more notes for a short paper due in a week. Then tomorrow I really need to get stuck into the sociology stuff...

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I've run for the third time this week. 3km so not far. But, I started running again. So, yay for that.

Today I want to get a few words in. Bake my partner's brother a cake, it's his bday. (Peanut butter, white chocolate cake)

And for now it's 7.04 in the morning and I'm doing the coffee thing.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It's 5.10pm here, and I'm *also* doing the coffee thing. :D

So... I've done about 4 hours of homework-related stuff today. The past 1.5 hours have revolved around me making notes for 2 assignments.

For one of them, I found a few quotes and typed them up, and also noted out what my actual argument would be, etc. So I'm probably pretty close to being able to write the first draft of that one (due in a week). :)

The other one, I expanded on some notes, and also hunted down relevant sections to mine for quotes at a later date (or else to paraphrase) - this time in *two* books. Both books are by Richard Dawkins, as the lyric essay I'm going to write focuses on the argument between evolution theory and religion (with more emphasis on evolution, considering I know more about that than religion). Anyway, it's a tough topic to tackle, but I'd already read both those books, so I should be able to handle it well. This one isn't due for another couple of months yet, but I wanted to work on it sooner rather than later. :)

All of my studies today have been for the 2 creative writing topics I'm doing. Tomorrow I need to read something like 75 pages of sociology stuff for next week's class, as well as (hopefully) find time to work on a short sociology paper, due on Wednesday. The first draft is already done, but it'll need extensive edits I imagine.

But I think that's all I'm doing today. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome. :)

Meanwhile, it is freakin' freezing here this morning! I already went back to bed just to warm up a bit, and now I'm too awake and bored to lie in bed, so I've turned the computer on. But damn, it's COLD. Winter is supposed to be over! Go away, chills!
It's autumn over here, but we're still stuck in summer weather (which I'm happy about). Last night at 8pm it was 90F degrees. Or was it 80F degrees? Can't remember.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Good day today. Got a fair amount of writing done and finished The Little House Cookbook; now I get to choose a new book to read. I have E.L. Doctorow's Billy Bathgate as well as biographies on Peggy Lee and the Huston family of Hollywood. Decisions, decisions...

Current WIP word count: 58,968 (goal: 76,764)
I vote Huston family!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote Huston family!

I was thinking last night that might be my choice, although the Doctorow is also beckoning. I also have a friend's novel to beta read, but that isn't beckoning quite so strongly. ;)

featherpen87

The crazy is strong in this one!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geekheaven87.wordpress.com
4700 words yesterday and just started on my Friday session. Finished reading The Medea Complex last night as well. All in all a very good day :)

Wish you all an amazing Friday!

Katje

Amoebakat at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katjevanloon.com
4700 words yesterday and just started on my Friday session. Finished reading The Medea Complex last night as well. All in all a very good day :)

Congrats!

I managed to edit 3 chapters last night and 1.5 chapters the day before. Going to try to do 5 chapters today.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I had an elaborate plan to let the SNI I just finished sit a month before I considered it... but then I saw two agents want almost exactly something like it on the manuscript wishlist.

It couldn't hurt to dive headlong into revision, right?

...right?

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
Jumping in, since I'd like to finish this draft of my WIP this month. So...that would be my main goal: finish the WIP. I'm 59,400 words in, and I'd like to hit at least 90,000.

Minor goals: finish the cross-stitch I'm working on, and finish Blackwell Unbound without a walkthrough (it's not difficult, I just suck at puzzles).

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I had an elaborate plan to let the SNI I just finished sit a month before I considered it... but then I saw two agents want almost exactly something like it on the manuscript wishlist.

...right?
I never wait. But then again, I have a faulty memory. Haha

Feather and Katje, great job!

I'm also adding to my goals to make some headway in the current book I'm reading. It's for research, but gosh, it was hard. One paragraph in and my head was already swimming with all the names of people and places. But persevere I will!

AliceWrites

Writing jazz
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I've just seen this thread.

September goals:
1. Write 45,000 words on current WIP (15,000 already done in August).
2. Finish and edit short story which is around 3500 words.
3. Write two non-fiction articles.

Best of luck to everyone with their goals for this month.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score

...right?

I say go for it. It's not often that something you've written fits an agent's wishlist so perfectly. Perhaps it's fate, if you believe in such things? Or else you could look back at today as the luckiest day of your life. :)

And really, letting something sit is, to me, just a means of getting distance from the story. If you can distance yourself from it in some other way, then there's no harm done, right?

On my end, I couldn't get AW to load this morning, so spent 2.5 hours reading a chapter of my sociology textbook. 1 more chapter and an article that's half the length of each chapter left to go today... So maybe another 3.5 hours of reading ahead of me?

Then, if I have time, I need to work on some assignments.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
All the readings for next week are now done. Did 5 hours and 45 minutes today. *flop* It's not quite 2.30pm, though, so I do have plenty of time to work on some assignments, which I definitely need to! 1 due on Wednesday, another on Friday.

ETA: Calling it a day with 7.5 hours of effort put in. Wound up reading about 85 pages of stuff, adding proper referencing to my first-draft-already-written sociology paper, and then finding an extra reference for that one *and* the first-draft-not-yet-written paper for Life Writing. *flop*

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
3200 words last night. Cannot get this novel out fast enough. I need to boost my productivity higher, because this pace is not doing it for me.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I say go for it. It's not often that something you've written fits an agent's wishlist so perfectly. Perhaps it's fate, if you believe in such things? Or else you could look back at today as the luckiest day of your life. :)

And really, letting something sit is, to me, just a means of getting distance from the story. If you can distance yourself from it in some other way, then there's no harm done, right?

Wouldn't that be something? :D The only times I need distance is when it comes to spotting logic gaps, things I know because I wrote it, that I might forget when I reread later so I see the flaw. I could depend on betas for that...

3200 words last night. Cannot get this novel out fast enough. I need to boost my productivity higher, because this pace is not doing it for me.

What is your words-per-hour? Your totals are so huge, the only thing I can think is that your WPH isn't as high as it looks. I'd LOVE to keep your kind of pace...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
What is your words-per-hour? Your totals are so huge, the only thing I can think is that your WPH isn't as high as it looks. I'd LOVE to keep your kind of pace...

I'm not sure - I only record daily totals. I'd guess it's pretty low. I live alone and I literally have nothing to do except run my business and write, so if I could turn all that spare time into productive writing time, I'd be a machine. But I end up doing nothing instead of working. That's what frustrates me - I have all this time, but I don't use it optimally. I'm planning to head to the library this afternoon to write, so we'll see if that helps.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
if I could turn all that spare time into productive writing time, I'd be a machine. But I end up doing nothing instead of working. That's what frustrates me - I have all this time, but I don't use it optimally. I'm planning to head to the library this afternoon to write, so we'll see if that helps.

I'd long held the thought that I write better not-at-home. If I'm home, I'll get up and do other things, I have a terrier who hates my sitting at the desk, I have to make my own coffee, etc. Last month, what poor job I did charting my time, I realized I don't write more words at coffee shops, I write the same amount of words faster.

Maybe just add a column for how many hours you've been at it (even just an estimate) so you get a little more data? There might be a max or min sitting that makes you most productive, time of day, or who knows what...

Then again, I think your pace is amazing :D

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Busy day yesterday so I didn't get much done, and not a lot of hope for today: rehearsal for a memorial this morning, then a matinee, a potluck (I made Coq Au Vin Blanc since it's French-themed), then the evening show, then drinks with friends afterward. Hoping I can squeeze in a few minutes here and there.

Started the Huston biography. It's a massive tome - a little intimidating.

Current WIP word count: 59,102 (goal: 76,764)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Finished reading a book last night and I just started on another one. One that's much shorter. I will likely be done with it in a matter of hours.

I finally decided to apply to be put on a waiting list for a pair of baby rats. It'll be until probably late November or early December until I can actually get them, but that's okay. Next term should be pretty busy anyway and they're worth waiting for.

I'm feeling very forgetful. I feel like there was something I wanted to do while I'm here at the library but I can't remember what.

Meh.

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Sudden realization.

I won't be living in the middle of nowhere this November.

I can actually go to regional NaNo events.

Yay! :D

~Amber~