Are you Ready for NaNoWriMo 2014?

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I have a question about the NaNoWriMo forums, there's a lot of useful information and discussions in there, is there an easy way to find new posts? Or threads?

I click into a forum and am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of threads and there seems to be no easy way to filter out the new ones and the ones with new comments, there's no easy way to just go to the first unread post.

I usually browse AW by clicking on the "New Posts" tab. So I don't miss anything.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
There isn't an easy way to keep up, unfortunately. Threads you respond to will automatically be watched, which is helpful for less active things that get buried. If you click the little blue box under post count that says "number new", it'll take you to the first new post - which still makes things messy if you have the forums set to nested.

Idk, the forums there are way too fast for me. Too much noise, not enough signal.

---

In other news: I'm breaking in my new wrist braces. I have a feeling I'll be needing them a lot.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
In the purely technical sense, as forums, i.e. the platform, I think the NaNo forums are awful. But I hang out there anyway. :D

Becky Black

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I had a daily repeating task in my To Do list to outline the NaNo, but have now stopped it repeating and marked it as complete. Which makes me officially ready. Of course the outline is never done, but I've only tweaked it the last few days. It will start changing again once I start writing.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In other news: I'm breaking in my new wrist braces. I have a feeling I'll be needing them a lot.
Do you have good ones for writing? I've never found any that were comfortable for using at the keyboard.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have good ones for writing? I've never found any that were comfortable for using at the keyboard.

Nah, I haven't found anything I can comfortably type with. But then I really can't even type too well if my sleeves are anywhere near my wrists. I just go with the most comfortable keyboard I can afford and brace up when I'm doing other things.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, my favorite wrist guard is the one for when I'm asleep. The other trick that has saved my wrist a lot of stress was changing the position of my car's steering wheel.

(I also have tendonitis from my elbow, so that whole arm is screwed, lol)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Guuuuys, it's almost here. Tomorrow is Halloween! That means it's almost NaNo.

Sheesh, I have a lot to do before then.

Becky Black

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Okay, my outline is done, all the jobs and tasks, writing and otherwise I could do beforehand are done. I have a mountain of coffee pods for the machine. I have a new novelling hat (I've gotta have a hat, my house gets cold! And I like to buy a new one every year. This one is black, ribbed woolly hat with two pompoms that look like furry ears.) I just need to lay in a truckload of snacks and I'm sorted.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm using NaNo to deal with a story that's been distracting me while I'm working on the main project. I don't expect to hit 50,000 words, but I'm hoping that NaNo will be the literary equivalent of separating two argumentative kids.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
NANO HAS STARTED FOR SOME! :hooray:

And now I have to wait for about 19 hours before I can join in. :tongue

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten to the point where I hate every word of this manuscript I'm editing, just a few hours before I'm supposed to start writing the sequel. Sigh.

Alli B.

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, my favorite wrist guard is the one for when I'm asleep. The other trick that has saved my wrist a lot of stress was changing the position of my car's steering wheel.

(I also have tendonitis from my elbow, so that whole arm is screwed, lol)

I have a newborn, and the last month of my pregnancy I got carpal tunnel. Strange, I know. I thought it would go away after the birth, but it's worse than ever with the amount of holding him I do. I'm going to have to break down and get wrist guards. Are they strange to type with?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
And once again, a shiny new idea shows up the day before. I know I shouldn't chase it, but it's soooooo sparkly. So dark, so full of conflict and genre subversions and promise, and with a voice already there. Oooooh, so much more exciting than big space shenanigans.

Ok, SNI, you win. I will play with you all month. :flag:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's NaNo. The month for the shiniest of new ideas!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Site? My new plot bunny started breeding when I was putting together a kid-friendly Halloween playlist to have on while I hang out on my porch tonight passing out candy. :p

I should know better than to listen to non-WIP music by now.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Halloween music can be dangerous, particularly if you're a fantasy/paranormal writer. The year I wrote a ghost story for NaNo, Halloween music was particularly useful, though :D

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Less than 12 hours to go. October was a hectic month and it's not slowing down, so I don't how much writing I'm going to do this month! :(

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Why, yes, rewriting my synopsis on the NaNo site is totally the most productive way to spend my day.

Alli B.

Registered
Reaction score
Outline is finally starting to come together! I just had random scenes and the majority of the world built; now I feel like I have a definite course for my characters... even if I did go from three view points to seven.

10 more hours!